Welcome to Month 5 of your pregnancy… and get ready for series of compliments on your cute muffin top, glowing skin and endearing demeanor of a mommy to be!
This month officially marks the onset of your pregnant appearance. You would have had your first ultrasound scan by this time. The feeling is nothing short of a surreal experience, showing you the first glimpses of your precious one inside.
5th Month Pregnancy Care – What To Expect?
A lot of rapid physical changes are seen and felt as your bump begins to grow in size. Your baby is fast evolving inside your womb, with significant body development. Here are some significant issues that you will face in the Month 5 in terms of physical adjustments:
- Your growing bump and the weight will put extra pressure on your back. Your center of gravity is changing and you need to consciously maintain good posture to avoid muscle strain in the back.
- Your sciatic nerve will start to feel the pressure. Sciatic nerve runs from your spine, through your buttocks to your legs. The increasing weight of the baby inside the uterus will compress against this nerve, causing discomfort. A comfortable sleep arrangement is a must.
- You will find it extremely relieving to wear a pregnancy girdle to support the weight of your abdomen. Do not be ashamed or embarrassed to use one if really required.
- If you are pregnant for the second time and have a first baby who is still a toddler, you will have to make efforts to train your first one to be a little independent. Picking up your child is not advised against your growing bump. Use a pram frequently.
- Lifting heavy objects is out of question; however, if you are a mother with zero support system, this cannot be avoided. In such scenarios, lift the weights with the strength of your quadriceps in your thighs and the biceps in your arms. No pressure to be put on the center of your body.
Changes In Your Body:Sponsored
Welcome your baby bump. You will begin to love your bump as much as you continue to face those inevitable hassles. Understand that your body is now adjusting to the bump and soon you will be able to manage the same with lesser efforts. Below are some changes that are fast happening inside your body during pregnancy care in 5th month:
- You will suddenly have hot flashes, even if it is the middle of winter! This is due to the increased blood supply inside the body. Your palms may develop red lines. You will feel the need for more air during this time.
- The veins in your legs are now more conspicuous; you may be prone to varicose veins in case you are overweight.
- Your legs will ache if you stand for long periods of time.
- Your hair will suddenly look thick and lustrous as there is less hair fall during pregnancy.
- You may have brittle nails during this period.
- Time for mood swings again. You will experience strange fears of being a parent. This is normal.
- There will be waging doubts in your mind regarding the abilities to raise a child. This happens mostly because you start seeing your bump growing day after day. This is largely hormonal and natural.
Changes In Your Baby:
This is the most exciting part. Your baby will undergo some rapid development from here on. Take a look at some great advancements happening inside your womb:
- Your baby’s weight would have doubled in the last two weeks of the 5th month.
- The height of your baby will measure about 13 cm from head to tail.
- The blood vessels will be visible inside your baby’s translucent skin
- Your baby’s legs will be disproportionate to the rest of his body, as they will be longer than his arms and are flexed at the knees and ankles.
- Ossification of bones will continue with calcium depositing regularly on them.
- Your baby’s reproductive system will now be certainly developed. If it’s a girl, she will have ovaries containing as many as 3 million eggs, which is a lifetime’s supply; In case of a boy, his testicles are still sitting high up in the abdomen.
- The nipples will be more prominent on your baby’s chest
- Your baby’s primary and deciduous teeth will be formed in the gums. The fluoride that you will consume via water everyday will help boost the development of tooth enamel in your baby.
- Your baby is now fully expressive. He can stretch, yawn and make cute faces.
- Your baby now possesses his unique fingerprints.
- The kidneys are fully functional by the end of Month 5. Your baby will also be producing urine that forms a fair share of the amniotic fluid.
- Your baby’s skin will now be covered in vernix caseosa, a white greasy substance.
[ Read: Baby Boy Growth Chart ]
Precautions During 5th Month Of Pregnancy:
Your new mantra for 5th month of pregnancy care is simple. Relax and cushion up! Below are few pointers that you have to bear in mind during Month 5:
1. Managing Rashes: You may be prone to rashes during pregnancy. You will see rashes in the areas like underarms, groin and under the breasts. This is caused mostly due to the heat. Taking shower will help soothe the rashes that will ultimately go away.
[ Read: Rashes During Pregnancy ]
2. Comfortable Clothing: You would have invested in the maternity wear by this time (if you haven’t, please do!). Your abdomen is fast getting round and your pre-pregnancy clothes may not accommodate the growing bump. Make sure you select soft fabrics like cotton and linen. Opting for light/pastel colors will keep your mood pleasant.
3. Fiber Diet: You will continue to battle constipation and the threat of hemorrhoids. Hence keep consuming high fiber diet like in the earlier months of pregnancy. Having a smooth bowel movement is a must while you deal with other discomforts such as back pain and varicose veins.
4. Good Posture: Maintain good posture at all times. Whether you are at home or at work, take occasional breaks from sitting for long hours. Sit straight on your chair while at work with a proper back support.
5. Health And Fitness: Continue doing stretches and exercises. Your trainer may direct you with newer postures to suit the growing bump and keep you comfortable. Make sure you don’t over-strain. If you feel tired, lie down in the rest rooms or the sick rooms in between. Take power naps, they help a lot.
6. Have A Positive Mind: You need to have a positive mind throughout your pregnancy. Do not dwell on What if? Scenarios and fears about the future! While we understand that you have to go through an ordeal tackling those heavy mood swings, a good book or soothing music will help better your spirits. Make sure that you spend time in the company of your loved ones as much as possible as it manifests a sense of security and optimism.
7. Sleeping Posture: Maintain sleeping to the left side everyday, which will ensure a healthy circulation to your uterus. Make sure you use lot of pillows to keep you cushioned in your back and in between the legs. Use a pregnancy pillow that’s available in all leading maternity stores.
8. Increased Appetite: You will feel hungrier than before. There will be those weird food cravings and the occasional urge to binge. Stock up your refrigerator with healthy food like fruits, vegetables and juices so that you eat right. Avoid junk food as much as possible as this will only worsen your nausea and may even cause gastritis.
9. Ultrasound: You will be recommended for an ultrasound in the last week of Month 5. This is the time for some great visuals on your baby. You will get to see your precious one even more clearly during the scan. Get ready to coo in delight as your baby will start making faces and kicking around inside. Make sure you capture the images!
10. Talk To Your Baby: This is the time you have to start communicating with your baby. You will be amazed to see some immediate responses coming back to you in the form of movements and kicks. You are going to love this feeling.
1. Avoid Sudden Reflexes: You have to avoid sudden reflexes like sitting and standing. If you don’t, they will cause an automatic drop in your blood pressure that can result in dizziness and fainting. So take it easy and take it slow.
2. No Alcohol, No Caffeine: A strict no to alcohol and coffee. This is the time for you to start feeling responsible for your baby. Stay clear from these addictions. Even passive smoking is dangerous for your little one inside the womb.
3. No Phobias! – Parenting is a huge responsibility. You are prone to feel doubtful, scary and anxious especially in the first time pregnancy. Talk to your partner and your gynecologist and express yourself. You may also get involved in online pregnancy or parenting forums. This eases your situation a bit with more inputs coming in to cheer you up.
These are some of the important changes and developments in the 5th month of your pregnancy. Continue to stay happy, relaxed and keep yourself stress free. After all, pregnancy is a special and unique experience. Do not hesitate to consult tour gynaecologist in case of any questions how to take care in 5th month of pregnancy.
Don’t forget to share your experiences on your 5th month pregnancy care with us:
- 6th Month Pregnancy Care – What To Expect, Do’s & Dont’s
- 7th Month Pregnancy Care – What To Expect, Do’s & Dont’s
- 8th Month Pregnancy Care – What To Expect, Do’s & Dont’s
- 9th Month Pregnancy Care – What To Expect, Do’s & Dont’s
Latest posts by Deepa Balasubramanian (see all)
- 6 Useful Tips To Store Formula Milk For Your Baby - June 30, 2017
- Cervical Mucus And Ovulation - Everything You Need To Know - January 9, 2015
- Can You Ovulate More Than Once Per Month Or Cycle? - December 31, 2014