If you are planning to start a family soon, eating healthy and including the right nutrients in your diet is of utmost importance. Diet forms one of the major deciding factors while planning your pregnancy. Most doctors today recommend a healthy lifestyle and diet to ensure that your body takes the natural process of conceiving ahead, smoothly.
The role of folic acid in pregnancy is very prominent. It is advisable to consume folic acid even before you are pregnant! Folic acid or folate is also referred to as a ‘pregnancy superhero’. Experts say that taking prenatal vitamins along with 400 mcg of folic acid every day before and during pregnancy is highly beneficial.
Benefits Of Folic Acid During Pregnancy:
Folate or folic acid is a Vitamin B. It plays a crucial role during your pregnancy period. Here are some of the great benefits of folic acid in pregnancy:
1. Red Blood Cells:
Folate enhances the production of red blood cells in your body. This is vital during pregnancy as you tend to be anemic (deficient in iron) during this phase. Folic acid ensures that there is a regular RBC count in your body as you take other supplements for replenishing the iron.
[ Read: Anemia In Pregnancy ]
2. Fetal Development:
Folic acid helps in the neural development of your baby, while still in your womb. The neural tube of your fetus, that later grows into brain and spinal cord of your baby, is protected by folic acid so that there are no pre natal defects during the early formation of the central nervous system.
3. For Your Baby:
Folate also protects your baby from deadly diseases such as:
- Spina Bifida: Spina bifida is a condition where the development of the spinal cord in a baby is incomplete during the prenatal stage. Folic acid protects your baby from this condition.
- Cleft Lip & Palate: Folate also prevents the formation of cleft lip and palate in babies.
- Premature Births: The fear of a premature delivery can be put to rest if you consume good amount of folic acid.
Folic acid consumption also eradicates miscarriage, poor baby growth in your womb and low birth weight problems to a great extent.
4. For You:
As an expectant mom, you are also protected from various pregnancy related complications with adequate amounts of folic acid intake every day. Some of the complications that can be prevented are:
- Heart disease
When Should You Start Taking Folic Acid?
Usually, your doctor will advise you to start taking as much as 400 mcg of folic acid once you start planning your pregnancy. Considering that most birth defects tend to happen in the first trimester itself, consuming folate even before you conceive can be extremely helpful.
Quantity Of Folic Acid That Needs To Be Taken:
The standard breakup of folic acid consumption is as follows:
- Before Conceiving: 400 Mcg
- First Trimester Of Pregnancy: 400 Mcg
- Second And Third Trimester Of Pregnancy: 600 Mcg
- Breastfeeding Stage: 500 Mcg
Consult your doctor to understand how much folic acid you have to consume keeping in mind the other deciding factors.
Folic Acid Foods For Pregnancy:
Apart from the regular supplements, folate is also present in few food sources in abundance. Some of the foods rich in folic acid are as follows:
- Fortified cereals
[ Read: Fruits To Eat During Pregnancy ]
Talk to your nutritionist to chalk out an ideal diet plan to enrich your body with folic acid. Folate signifies fertility and development. Do not forget to add it to your priority list while planning to conceive.
Have more benefits of folic acid during pregnancy? Please do share them with us:
- Is It Safe To Consume Fish Oil During Pregnancy?
- Dietary Iron Intake During Pregnancy – Everything You Need To Know About
- Why Is Calcium Intake Important During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Deepa Balasubramanian (see all)
- 6 Useful Tips To Store Formula Milk For Your Baby - June 30, 2017
- Cervical Mucus And Ovulation - Everything You Need To Know - January 9, 2015
- Can You Ovulate More Than Once Per Month Or Cycle? - December 31, 2014