Kids suffering from cold are a common problem. Vitamin C is a super powerful vitamin that can protect your little one and make life all the more fun for him.
Daily dose of vitamin C is a must for kids. When your baby receives it in the right amount, he can ward away cold and other diseases easily.
What Is Vitamin C For Kids?
Vitamin C plays plenty of important roles in the body and keeps your child healthy and strong. It acts as an antioxidant. Vitamin C is used in the body in the following ways:
- It is used for bone maintenance.
- Maintenance of blood vessels and bones.
- It helps in formation of collagen and aids iron absorption. This keeps your kid energized and he does not suffer from iron deficiencies.
- Chances of cancer also get reduced with regular intake of vitamin C.
- Apart from fruits and vegetables, you can also avail of them in the form of supplements and chewable tablets.
[ Read: Vitamin B For Kids ]
How Much Vitamin C For Kids?
Requirement of vitamin C for your kid is not the same when compared to that required by adults. Take a look below to know how much vitamin C your kid needs daily:
- Those aged between 2 and 3 requires 15 mg of vitamin daily.
- If your child falls under the age group of 4 to 8, his vitamin C requirement would be 25 mg every day.
- If your child falls between 9 and 13 years, his daily vitamin C requirement would be 45 mg.
[ Read: Potassium For Children ]
Vitamin C Foods For Kids:
Well, you need not worry too much about incorporating vitamin C in your kid’s daily diet. There are many foods rich in it. Let’s take a look at foods rich in vitamin C:
- Kids love fruit juices. Fruit juices contain high amounts of vitamin C. You can give your kid fruits like grapefruits and oranges.
- Vegetables like broccoli, tomatoes, carrots and cantaloupe are rich sources of vitamin C.
- By adding a variety to the dishes of your little one, you can encourage him to take the healthy foods daily.
[ Read: Vitamin A For Kids ]
Treating Cold Symptoms With Vitamin C:
According to several studies, vitamin C is known to treat colds, even though the fact remains that the findings can be inconsistent.
- According to a study conducted in 2007, it was found that children taking vitamin C showed shortened duration of cold by 14%.
- Thus if you want to shorten the duration of cold in children or adults, vitamin C can be a suitable solution.
[ Read: Benefits Of Eggs For Kids ]
Symptoms Of Vitamin C Deficiency:
Make sure your child is not suffering from vitamin C deficiency. Here are the symptoms of vitamin C deficiency:
- In extreme cases, prolonged deficiency of vitamin C can result in scurvy.
- In case your kid sustains injuries, it might take time to heal if he is already suffering from vitamin C deficiency.
- Your kid’s immune system might get weak if he is not getting his daily dose of the essential vitamin.
- He might suffer from frequent cold and coughs.
- Your kid may feel fatigued easily, when the body lacks vitamin C.
It is highly essential that you consult his doctor before making any changes in his diet. Here are some vital considerations you should be careful of:
- In case he is not getting enough of the C vitamin through fruits and veggies, you can offer vitamin supplements after consulting with your doctor.
- You must also be careful your kid is not getting an overdose of vitamin C, which is not good for him either.
- Make sure to enquire with your health care provider if you have any doubts.
Moms, do share with us how you incorporate vitamin C in the diet of your little one in the comment section below.
- 4 Health Benefits Of Vitamin A For Children
- 9 Health Benefits Of Vitamin D For Children
- 8 Best Zinc Rich Foods For Your Kid
Latest posts by moumita ghosh (see all)
- 8 Effective Tips To Relieve Finger Pain During Pregnancy - November 23, 2015
- Top 5 Camel Crafts For Preschoolers And Young Kids - November 23, 2015
- 4 Interesting Winter Craft Ideas For Your Toddler - January 21, 2015