Not many people appreciate the humble cabbage. But the fact is that cabbage is not just good for your health, but also makes a great addition to your baby’s diet!
So, if you are looking to add variety to your baby’s diet, try cabbage!
You can give your baby cabbage as soon as she is ready for solids – at six months. But make sure to talk to your doctor before you do so. Not all babies grow at the same pace. So, while another baby might be happy chomping down on cabbage, your baby may still need time. Follow her cues, and you’ll know when she is ready.
If you use jarred baby food, cabbage may be a difficult choice for you. Not many companies make jarred cabbage baby food. In that case, your best bet would be to make your own at home. But make sure to use organic products to avoid contamination.
Benefits Of Cabbage For Babies:
Some people call cabbage ‘superfood’, and for a very good reason! Here are some amazing benefits of considering cabbage for baby food:
1. Good For Digestion:
Cabbage is known make you gassy. But that is a good thing! Sulfur rich foods like Cabbage ‘feed’ the good bacteria in the gut and make digestion easy (1). Cabbage also contains a good amount of fiber, which eases constipation.
[ Read: Superfoods For Babies ]
2. Prevents Cancer:
Brassica vegetables like cabbage contain glucosinolates, which are known to prevent cancer (2). Cancer may be the thing farthest from your mind right now, but it is never too early to guide your baby to a healthier life!
3. Keeps Heart Healthy:
Cabbage is famous for its cholesterol lowering capacity. Low cholesterol equals healthy heart (3)!
4. Contains Folic Acid:
Did you know that cabbage contains a good amount of folic acid that can help absorb iron from food better (4)? Yes, it does. So, that’s another point for the humble cabbage!
5. Detoxifies Body:
Cabbage contains detoxifying enzymes that can flush out toxins from the body and keep it healthy (5).
These were some major benefits of including cabbage in your baby’s diet. Though these benefits may not seem like things that a baby would need, but a healthy start to life is the best gift you can give your little angel!
But there are things you need to keep in mind before you go ahead and introduce your baby to cabbage.
Cabbage For Babies – Side Effects To Watch Out For:
Here are some not-so-good points about cabbage you should know about:
1. Can Make Your Baby Gassy:
Though being gassy may indicate a healthy digestive system, it can get uncomfortable for babies. Vegetables like cabbage are at the top of the list of foods that can induce gas in the digestive tract (6).
2. Contains Nitrates:
Cabbage contains a high amount of nitrate. Excessive nitrate in the body can cause Blue Baby Syndrome, where the hemoglobin in the body is unable to carry oxygen to body tissues (7).
3. Low On Calories And Fats:
Cabbage is also called the ‘diet vegetable’ because it contains very low amount of calories. For an adult that may be a good thing. But babies need a lot of calories to grow (8).
4. Chocking Hazard:
Cabbage is a crunchy vegetable and can prove to be a choking hazard (9). So make sure to cook it properly before you feed your baby.
5. Can Cause Diarrhea:
Consuming cabbage can also cause diarrhea in some cases (10). But this is a problem only if the vegetable is consumed uncooked.
So, now that you about the pros and cons of adding cabbage to your baby’s menu, let’s find out how you can cook it!
Easy Cabbage Recipes For Babies:
Here are few ideas for cabbage baby food recipes, that you can try at home. Satisfaction is guaranteed!
1. Carrot and Cabbage Puree:
If you want to prepare cabbage puree for baby, then this one is perfect option. Here are two super healthy vegetables – sure to appeal to your baby!
- Half cup chopped cabbage
- Half cup chopped carrot
- A pinch of pepper
- A little butter
- Salt (to taste)
How To Make:
- Cook the cabbage and carrot and add pepper and salt to it.
- Once done, add butter and blend.
- Cabbage and carrot puree is now ready!
[ Read: How To Prepare Carrot Puree For Baby ]
2. Apple And Cabbage Puree:
Apple is a favorite among babies around the world. Add some cabbage to it, and you have super dish in your hands!
- One apple, peeled and grated
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup water
- Two tbsp raisins
How To Make:
- Take a pan and add all the ingredients to it.
- Bring it to boil.
- Next, reduce the heat and simmer for another ten minutes.
- Remove from pan, add to a blender and blend until you get your desired consistency.
[ Read: How To Prepare Apple Puree For Baby ]
3. Lentil and Rice with Grated Cabbage:
If you are looking for a wholesome meal, here is a great recipe for you.
- Two tbsp rice
- Two tbsp split green gram
- 1/4 cup grated cabbage
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- A pinch of asafetida
- 1/4 tsp grated ginger
- A pinch turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
How To Make:
- Cook the lentil and rice together with 1½ cups of water until both ingredients are soft. You can use a pressure cooker for this step.
- Take a pan and add oil and cumin seeds.
- Add the asafetida and ginger next (once the cumin seeds begin to crackle).
- Now add cabbage and sauté till it is soft.
- Next, add the cooked lentil and rice along with turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix well.
- Let it simmer for a little longer.
- Serve warm.
With these easy recipes, adding cabbage to your baby’s diet will now be a piece of cake! So, give it a try.
And don’t forget to share your feedback with us in the comments section below!
- 6 Health Benefits Of Barley For Your Baby
- 5 Health Benefits Of Kiwi For Your Baby
- 3 Amazing Benefits Of Arrowroot For Your Baby
- 10 Health Benefits Of Chickpeas For Babies
- 4 Health Benefits Of Buckwheat For Babies
Latest posts by Chhandita Chakravarty (see all)
- Teaching About Body Parts To Kids - March 31, 2016
- Child Passenger Safety – Rules And Tips - February 29, 2016
- How Milk Thistle Can Help You During Breastfeeding - February 29, 2016