Are you craving to eat sweet food every since you started expecting? Do you wish to include nutritious foods in your diet to prevent any birth defects in your infant? If you face the same dilemma and can relate to the above situation, read our post. Here we talk all about beetroots, the perfect solution to your problem.
Beetroot is sweet, healthy vegetable with many medicinal properties. It acts as blood purifier and natural detoxifier for the human body. You can eat it raw or cook it up and eat it along with other vegetables. Also, drinking beetroot juice daily helps revitalize your body.
You will find lots of individuals who warn you of the dangers of eating beetroot during pregnancy. Are these individuals mere fear mongers or is there any genuine reason that may harm you or your baby if you eat beetroot during pregnancy? Keep reading to find it out.
Benefits Of Eating Beetroot During Pregnancy:
1. Reduced Risk Of Birth Defects:
Beetroot is rich in folic acid that is essential for regular tissue growth. Also, folic acid is crucial for the development of your infant’s spinal cord during the first three months of your pregnancy. Eating or drinking beetroot juice during pregnancy ensures good development of your baby’s spinal cord and prevents the risk of defects in the spinal cord, such as spina bifida (1).
2. Boosts Immunity:
Pregnant women need high immunity levels to stay safe from various ailments and infections. Beetroot possesses antioxidant properties that help boost your immunity levels substantially.
3. Prevents Osteoporosis:
Pregnant women are more prone to osteoporosis than others. Beets are rich in calcium and silica. So eating beetroots during pregnancy prevents decalcification of your teeth and bones and prevents the risk of osteoporosis.
4. Regulates Metabolism:
Beetroot is an excellent source of potassium. Drinking the juice of beetroot or eating beet balances electrolytes and controls metabolism substantially during pregnancy. Also, it helps maintain blood pressure levels in expecting mothers.
5. Prevents Joint Pain And Swelling:
Beetroot contains betaine, which acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory agent. So consuming beetroot during pregnancy prevents joint pain and swelling.
[ Read: Potato During Pregnancy ]
6. Purifies Blood:
Beetroot possesses the capability to purify the blood. Blood purification prevents the risk of infections to your baby. It boosts your physical stamina, which is beneficial during the delivery. Eating beetroot also maintains blood pressure during your delivery.
7. Prevents Anemia:
Beetroot is rich in iron and helps increase your hemoglobin count in the blood. So eating beetroot in pregnancy prevents the risk of anemia and ensures adequate hemoglobin count.
8. Controls Blood Sugar Levels:
Beetroot contains low glycemic contents, so sugar conversion process is quite time-consuming. Eating beetroot during pregnancy helps stabilize blood glucose levels.
9. Ensures Healthy Fetal Development:
Beetroot is rich in vitamin A and vitamin E. So drinking beetroot juice in pregnancy ensures optimal development of the fetus (2).
[ Read: Eating Kale During Pregnancy ]
10. Improves Digestion:
Eating beetroot during pregnancy improves your digestion and prevents various digestive disorders. Also, it aids healthy bowel movement and prevents constipation.
Side Effects Of Consuming Beetroot During Pregnancy:
Even though there are numerous benefits of beetroot during pregnancy, there are a few risks that come along. Find them below.
- Betaine present in beetroot may cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and gastrointestinal issues during pregnancy.
- Nitrates in the beetroot can make you feel weak when pregnant.
- Drinking beetroot juice may paralyze your vocal cords temporarily.
- Excess intake of beetroot may result in beeturia, which causes reddish stools and urine (3).
- High levels of oxalate in the juice of beetroot can lead to kidney stones (4).
A Word Of Caution:
It is wise to consult your physician to have beetroot in the right quantities and at right intervals when you are expecting. Physician’s guidance will help you eliminate the side-effects of consuming beetroot.
Did you eat beetroot when you were expecting? How did you include it in your diet? Share your recipes with other expecting mommies here.
- 5 Amazing Benefits Of Hummus During Pregnancy
- 9 Health Benefits & 3 Side Effects Of Eating Rice During Pregnancy
- 9 Amazing Health Benefits Of Eating Bread During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Eat Radish During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Manjiri Kochrekar (see all)
- 32 Lovely Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas - June 28, 2017
- 10 Clear Signs That You Need Marriage Counselling - April 28, 2017
- 25 Wonderful Peacock Facts And Information For Kids - October 3, 2016