When you are planning to conceive a child, one thing you cannot forget is to stay healthy. It is indeed important for the aspiring parents to be physically fit as well as fertile and think twice whatever they have in their diet.
One such hindrance to fertility is found to be caffeine. Does caffeine affect fertility in men and women? Well, there have been numerous reports and debates about caffeine and its impact on fertility in both women as well as men. Although, it might not have been scientifically proven, it would be foolish to take the risk. Therefore, for every couple who wants to conceive are advised by their doctor to restrict their intake of caffeine to the lowest.
Effects Of Caffeine On Fertility In Women:
Following are the reasons for which caffeine is considered as a taboo food for women who want to get pregnant or are already pregnant. Research has shown the following possibilities in case of consumption of caffeine:
- It is believed that when you consume more than 200 mg of caffeine in a day, your body will produce more of estrogen. This increased level can lead to reproductive disorders and can lead to infertility.
- Another reason which advocates the study is that caffeine reduces the capacity of body to absorb iron. As it is very well known, iron is the most important element when you want to conceive. Thus, with less iron in body, there can be problems with ovulation cycle also.
- Other theory says that caffeine, which has a diuretic effect on our body, causes you to urinate more frequently. In this process, all the important nutrients needed to conceive gets flushed out. Thus, the chances for becoming pregnant become bleak.
- Caffeine can also travel to placenta and can cause harm to your unborn baby. Also, if you keep on consuming caffeine after conceiving, there are more chances of having a miscarriage.
Thus, ideally one should refrain from having caffeine during pregnancy as well as at the time of conceiving.
[ Read: Smoking Effects On Fertility ]
Effects Of Caffeine On Fertility In Men:
Many a times, when a couple faces infertility issues, it need not be always because of the female partner. Men can also contribute towards infertility, caffeine consumption being one of them. Here are a few reasons why it affects fertility in men:
- Caffeine is believed to affect the insulin levels in the body. This increase in the insulin levels can cause drop in the sperm count in men. This can negatively affect the chances of conceiving a child.
- It is also seen that initially caffeine can give impetus of the motile sperm. However, when it is seen in the long run, caffeine can decrease sperm motility which makes it difficult to fertilise the egg.
- Certain studies claim that due to excessive consumption of caffeine, there is a high risk of genetic damage on the sperm. This causes damage to the DNA and the child can become a victim of birth defects.
Thus, even men should take care when they indulge into family planning as caffeine can pose a threat to fertility.
[ Read: Is Green Tea Good For Pregnancy ]
Which Food And Beverages Have Caffeine In Them?
If you thought that only tea and coffee contain caffeine, then you must check out this list as there are other foods which you need to restrict upon:
- Chocolate bars
- Energy drinks
- Soft drinks
- Coffee ice cream
There are certain kinds of herbal products and over the counter drugs which also contain caffeine. It is advisable to always read the labels for ingredient before buying them.
[ Read: Yoga For Fertility ]
What Is The Ideal Amount Of Caffeine Consumption?
It might be difficult to drastically cut on your caffeine consumption, but you can always try to reduce your intake steadily.
For women, the caffeine level should not exceed 150 mg in a day, while for men it should be restricted to 250 gm. Of course, your doctor will be able to give you the best advice on your caffeine intake.
[ Read: Ayurvedic Treatment For Infertility ]
Thus, when you are trying to conceive, it is better to give away with caffeine. This will ensure that your conceiving rates are better and faster under normal circumstances.
We hope you find this information on does caffeine affect fertility useful. Do let us know if you are aware of other food items which contain caffeine and can be harmful.
- 20 Great Tips To Improve Your Chances Of Getting Pregnant
- How Do Yeast Infections Affect Fertility?
- How Does Diabetes Affect Your Fertility?
- 10 Effective Ways To Boost Male Fertility
Latest posts by Palak Shah (see all)
- Is It Safe To Eat Rambutan During Pregnancy? - November 4, 2015
- Gonorrhea During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of - January 2, 2015
- Is It Safe To Donate Blood While Breastfeeding? - December 31, 2014