Determining what to eat and what to avoid can a be a tough task for nursing moms. You will be forever questioning the efficacy and the safety of consuming a particular food right now. Your doctor will typically advise you to eat healthy and follow a strict diet, as it will have a direct affect on your baby’s growth and development.
Fruits and vegetables are healthy while breastfeeding. Banana is one such fruit, which is a primary source of calcium and iron. However, many women are a little doubtful about eating banana during breastfeeding. So, before you start panicking, let’s look at how bananas can affect breastfeeding moms!
Advantages Of Eating Banana During Breastfeeding:
1. Provides Extra Calories:
Did you know that breastfeeding mothers require an additional of 400 to 500 calories per day? Yes, it’s true. This extra calorie helps to keep up the energy levels. Banana is a good source of these extra calories (1).
2. Good Source Of Vitamin C:Sponsored
Vitamin C helps human body absorb iron from other sources of food. Since banana is rich in Vitamin C, it can help breastfeeding mother absorb iron from other sources.
[ Read: Foods To Avoid While Breastfeeding ]
3. Good Source Of Potassium:
Potassium is a crucial nutrient for breastfeeding moms. One banana approximately has 500 milligrams of potassium.
4. High Source Of Energy:
A women’s body will require more energy while she is nursing. The extra energy you need can make you feel hungry quite often. Choosing the right intake of food at this time is crucial. Banana will offer that quick energy. Apart from this, a mother’s milk not only provides your infant nutrients but also helps fight many diseases. Hence, if you are nursing it is crucial that you take good care of your diet. Your post-natal diet should be rich in energy, and breastfeeding mothers require a good amount of energy. Banana offers that energy levels.
[ Read: Papaya While Breastfeeding ]
Side Effects Of Eating Bananas While Breast Feeding:
1. Avoid Banana If You Catch A Cold Easily:
Many women catch a cold if they eat the banana. If you are one of those women, eat bananas only in the morning. If you catch a cold often, then there are a good amount of chances that your baby will get the same while you are nursing.
2. If Your Gynecologist Advises Against It:
Some women are advised not to have banana especially if their sugar levels are more when compared to the normal range. Under such circumstances, breastfeeding mothers are advised not to have banana.
[ Read: Grapes While Breastfeeding ]
2 Yummy Ways to Enjoy Banana While Breastfeeding:
1. Tropical Smoothie
You Will Need:
- 2 ripe bananas
- ½ cup milk or orange juice
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 cups pineapple
- Mix all ingredients and blend them in a blender.
- Blend it until the mix is smooth.
- Serve immediately.
2. Banana Yield:
You Will Need:
- 3 bananas
- Peeled apple
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice.
- 4 cups vanilla yogurt
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 2 small spoons walnuts.
- Mix apples, bananas and lemon juice in a big bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix them well.
- Refrigerate and serve.
Few More Simple And Delicious Ideas:
- Add sliced bananas to your pancake and make it yummier.
- Have a sliced banana with bread.
- Have a sliced banana with yogurt.
- Add sliced bananas to oatmeal.
- Add chopped bananas to fruit salads and puddings.
Motherhood is a beautiful feeling, but the journey has many challenges. We hope our post above, helped address a few of them. If you have other information about eating banana during breastfeeding, please share it with us below. We would love to hear from you.
- 5 Easy & Nutritious Snacks For Breastfeeding Moms
- Can You Eat Avocado While Breastfeeding?
- 6 Wonderful Health Benefits Of Eating Pomegranates While Breastfeeding
- Is It Safe To Use Garcinia Cambogia While You Are Breastfeeding?
Latest posts by Payal Morjaria (see all)
- Norovirus Infections And Pregnancy - Everything You Should Be Aware Of - November 17, 2015
- How To Get Rid Of Body Odor During Pregnancy? - November 16, 2015
- Is Anal Sex Safe During Pregnancy? - November 7, 2015