Are you confused on whether to feed your infant the Cerelac cereal range or not? If yes, then do not worry, as this is something most parents think once their darling turns 4 months of age.
The Indian Pediatrics Academy and the Women and Child Development Ministry  recommend breast milk for your baby until he or she is 6 months old. This is because your breast milk has all essential nutrients such as carbohydrates, fat, water, sugar, proteins and antibodies that are required for your baby.
Your baby must be drinking about 6 ounces of breast milk for 4 to 6 times per day if he is 4 months old. Same rule applies to those babies who drink formula milk if mother’s milk is scarce. Read to know is Cerelac good for 4 months baby and when to feed cerelac for 4 month old baby.
[ Read: Baby Boy Height and Weight Chart ]
What Is Cerelac?
Cerelac is a safe baby food manufactured by Nestle, the brand that has gained the trust of several mothers. This product is available in a wide range as per baby ages. It also has delectable variety of flavors, to tingle the taste buds of your baby. Cerelac is an infant cereal that has a useful probiotic called Bifidus BL. This can enhance your baby’s immune and digestive systems.
[ Read: Baby Food Chart ]
Can You Feed Cerelac For 4 Months Baby?
The only food that your baby requires during this stage is mother’s milk or an infant formula fortified with iron. However, you can begin to familiarize cerelac baby food for 4 months baby after a few weeks. This should only be done on the recommendation of your doctor.
You can begin by feeding it with a spoon. Try to feed one tablespoon of Cerelac at first and then increase it to 2 or 3 tablespoons later on.
[ Read: Baby Spoons ]
6 Cues That Your Baby Is Ready For Cerelac:
As your baby grows, he will begin to show few signs to let you know that he is ready for Cerelac. Make sure you keep an eye for these cues while your baby is more than 4 months of age.
- Your baby is interested in the food on your plate.
- Your baby puts his fingers in his mouth.
- Your baby’s appetite has increased or would require more milk even after you breastfeed him.
- Your baby opens his mouth readily when you bring a spoon to his mouth.
- Your baby has got a better neck and head control.
- Your baby can sit in an upright position with support.
If you do not find any of these signals of readiness in your baby, then you need to wait for some more time.
[ Read: Advantages Of Breastfeeding ]
Why Should I Not Feed Cerelac Too Early?
Three months to four months are important stages of growth for your baby. It is not advisable to begin solids too early for the following reasons:
- The risk of unsafe swallowing is very high as your baby’s development stage might not be complete.
- Solid foods like Cerelac might replace the nutrients offered by infant formula or your breast milk, which is important for your baby’s development and growth.
- Your baby might be prone to infections, illnesses, intolerance and food allergy as the immune system would not be fully developed.
- There might be changes in the consistency of stools passed by your baby as solid foods might not get digested completely.
[ Read: Food Ideas For Your 4 Months Baby ]
Why Should I Feed Cerelac After 6 Months?
It is not advisable to delay the introduction of solid foods like Cerelac after your baby has reached 6 months of age. This is because:
- Your baby might not be getting enough amount of food to fulfill his body’s requirements.
- It would have a bad impact on his growth and development.
- Your baby might face issues like malnutrition or iron or zinc deficiency.
- Your baby might face delay in skills like chewing his food.
[ Read: 4 Month Baby Development ]
Even if you begin to feed cerelac for 4 months old baby, make sure that your breast milk remains the main source of nutrition. This will help your baby grow healthy and build antibodies in his blood.
Moms, we hope that the information we compiled about the right time to feed Cerelac to your baby proves useful. Please share your thoughts about the article in the comments section below.
- 4 to 6 Months Baby Sleep – Everything You Need To Know
- Top 10 Ideas For 6 Month Baby Food
- Top 5 Food Ideas For Your 5 Months Baby
- 25 Truly Amazing Facts About Babies
- 20 Amazingly Healthy And Tasty Fruit Purees For Babies
Latest posts by Dhivya (see all)
- 10 Must Know Internet Safety Tips For Kids And Teens - March 21, 2017
- How To Choose The Best Baby Formula For Your Little Ones? - December 26, 2014
- Can You Feed Cerelac To Your 4 Month Old Baby? - November 5, 2014