Are you planning to have a baby? Does the negative reading on your pregnancy kit give you sleepless nights? Are you worrying that you may be losing precious time waiting for your ovulation cycle to turn favorable? Are you aware that multiple ovulations are a reality now?
If you are actively planning to conceive soon, the topic of ovulation is probably on your mind 24/7 and with good reason! Your fertile phase is of vital significance in planning your pregnancy. Simply put, ovulation is the big ticket for the egg to interact with a viable sperm.
Can you ovulate more than once a month? It is a universal fact that women ovulate only once in a month or a cycle, but the latest studies state otherwise. As per a recent research conducted in the United States, women are likely to ovulate more than once in a month. Read on to know more about multiple ovulations.
How Ovulation Works:
Ovulation is an important part of woman’s menstrual cycle, where a mature ovarian follicle discharges a viable egg, also known as an ovum, oocyte or female gamete.
- On release, the egg travels down the Fallopian tubes where fertilization may take place if it meets a sperm.
- Most women plan conception based on their ovulation calendar as it helps them identify their most fertile days.
[ Read: What Is The Right Age To Get Pregnant ]
Timeline Of A Typical Ovulation:
Ovulation is the most fertile period when your cervix produces a thin cervical fluid that lubricates and empowers the sperm to travel towards the egg faster. A typical ovulation happens once in every menstrual cycle.
- The ovaries will produce egg-carrying cells or ‘follicles’.
- These follicles enable the production of a fertile egg.
- Once the sperm reaches the egg, fertilization takes place resulting in pregnancy.
Recent Findings Over Fertility Treatments:
Is it possible to ovulate more than once a month? Well, real-time trials at fertility clinics declare the possibility of women ovulating more than once a month.
- The trial involved evaluation (via high-resolution trans-vaginal ultrasound) of 60 women between the age group of 18 and 40 years.
- Measurement of the follicles of the subjects over a time-span of six weeks revealed that at least six subjects ovulated twice.
Causes For Multiple Ovulations:
Medical experts are now of the opinion that the hormone progesterone acts as a catalyst for multiple ovulations in a cycle.
- Corpus Leuteum may at times secrete a reproductive hormone called luteinizing hormone.
- The hormones secreted, i.e. progesterone and luteinizing hormone decide the frequency of ovulation.
- Experts also opine that if the reproductive system produces a dominant follicle during a single cycle, it may trigger dual conception by enabling two waves releasing eggs in a single month.
Factors That Increase The Probability Of Dual Or More Ovulation:
Can you ovulate more than once a month? The process of ovulation is as unpredictable as pregnancy. There is no guarantee as to when you are likely to ovulate more than once in a single cycle.
- A lot of physical, emotional and lifestyle factors contribute to the possibility.
- There are high chances of ovulating more than once if you are undergoing a fertility treatment.
[ Read: Yoga For Fertility ]
Keeping Track Of Dual Ovulation:
If you are keen on tracking the chances of dual ovulation in a single month, you should consult a reputed fertility specialist. You will need an expert who will analyze your ovulation pattern thoroughly in order to help you conceive.
General Measures To Apply During Ovulation:
The below measures can help you understand your ovulation cycle and plan your pregnancy better:
- The cervix will produce a clear thin liquid that stretches between the index finger and thumb.
- Calculate your fertile days based on the onset of your monthly periods.
- Keep track of the body temperature while ovulating.
- Boost chances of pregnancy with a timely intercourse with your partner.
Talking to your gynecologist should prove beneficial in order to make the most out of your ovulating period. Your doctor’s advice will help you understand your ovulation pattern and boost the chances of conception.
Good luck with conception! Do let us know how you tracked your ovulation to plan your pregnancy. We look forward to your tips, experience and advice.
- When Do Women Get Pregnant Easily?
- When Is The Best Time To Get Pregnant?
- 20 Great Tips To Improve Your Chances Of Getting Pregnant
- 10 Foods Which Can Improve Your Chances Of Getting Pregnant
Latest posts by Deepa Balasubramanian (see all)
- 6 Useful Tips To Store Formula Milk For Your Baby - June 30, 2017
- Cervical Mucus And Ovulation - Everything You Need To Know - January 9, 2015
- Can You Ovulate More Than Once Per Month Or Cycle? - December 31, 2014