Kids, who play outdoors, are often susceptible to mosquito bites. Though common, mosquito bites can, at times be rather dangerous. Chikungunya is one such dangerous infection that arises as a result of mosquito bites. Though the ailment is not always fatal, some of its symptoms can impact your kid’s health adversely. This article will throw some light on the causes, symptoms, and treatments for chikungunya in children. Scroll down to learn all about chikungunya.
Causes Of Chikungunya In Children:
Chikungunya is a mosquito-borne disease which occurs due to the Aedes Aegypti and Aedes Albopictus, mosquito species. The mosquito bite can lead to chikungunya. The mosquitoes tend to bite during the daytime. Kids love to play outdoors. So, mosquitoes breeding near stagnated water easily bite your children and infect them with the virus. The symptoms of chikungunya in kids become apparent after an incubation period of two to twelve days (1).
Chikungunya Symptoms In Children:
Even though body ache is one of the common symptoms of chikungunya in kids, there are more harmful effects of chikungunya virus that you observe as its symptoms. Common symptoms include:
- High temperature
- Pain in joints, particularly in arms and legs
- Swollen joints
- Skin rash
- Pain around the kid’s eyes
- In severe cases, disability (2)
If you notice any of the above symptoms, see your doctor as early as possible.
[ Read: Dengue Fever In Children ]
Diagnosing Chikungunya In Children:
Even if the symptoms of chikungunya are apparent, doctors recommend blood tests to confirm the infection of chikungunya virus. So, go for the recommended blood test to begin the right line of treatment (3).
Treating Chikungunya In Children:
Even though there is no vaccine to prevent the risk of development of chikungunya in kids, there are certain effective treatments and care tips that can help minimize the symptoms and effects of the ailment. Find some effective treatments for chikungunya in children below.
[ Read: Joint Pain In Children ]
1. Let Your Kid Rest:
Let your child have ample of rest to minimize the health troubles resulting due to the ailment and speed up her early recovery. Rest reduces fatigue and retains energy in your kid (4).
2. Have Plenty Of Fluids:
Give your child plenty of fluids and water to prevent the risk of dehydration when down with the infection. Fluids hydrate your kid’s body and keep other harmful infections at bat. Offer your child fresh fruit juices as the antioxidant content in them will prevent cell damage resulting due to free radicals (5).
Your doctor may recommend medications to mitigate the pain and fever resulting due to chikungunya in kids. So, give your child appropriate doses of medications, such As Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen, and Naproxen, as per the prescription of your doctor (6).
Preventing Chikungunya In Children:
Even though chikungunya is not fatal, and you can treat its symptoms, you can also take care to prevent the infection in your child. Here are some prevention tips that safeguard your child from developing chikungunya.
Goodknight Activ+ helps you keep mosquitoes away from your children whenever home.
Goodknight Fabric Roll-On is another one of its kind product which keeps mosquitoes at bay.
Take care that infected member of your family doesn’t suffer exposure to mosquitoes, since mosquito bite can spread the infection to other family members.
- Prevent your kids from playing in areas having stagnated water in their vicinity.
- Maintain your home and surroundings clean.
- You can use mosquito repellent gels like Goodknight Cool Gel, to prevent them from biting your children. It skin-friendly & provides 8 hour of protection.
- Make your child sleep under mosquito bed net.
- You can suggest your local care center or municipality to take right steps to prevent growth and spread of mosquitoes in your locality (7).
Did your child suffer from chikungunya at any time? What precautionary measures did you take to ensure your child’s good health is not compromised? Share your experience with other concerned mothers. Leave a comment below.
- Skin Rashes In Children – Causes, Treatments & Home Remedies
- Roseola In Children – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
- Typhoid In Children – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
- Serious Symptoms Of Dengue In Children
Latest posts by Manjiri Kochrekar (see all)
- 32 Lovely Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas - June 28, 2017
- 10 Clear Signs That You Need Marriage Counselling - April 28, 2017
- 25 Wonderful Peacock Facts And Information For Kids - October 3, 2016