Are you suffering from constipation during pregnancy? Do you want to know more about laxative use during pregnancy and are you worried whether using Citrucel while pregnant is safe? If you said yes, consider reading the article below. Here, we look at Citrucel and how you can use it during pregnancy.
What Is Citrucel?
Citrucel is a bulk-forming laxative. It is one of the gentlest laxatives available today as it is fiber-based and safe for long-term use. Citrucel works by absorbing water to form a stool that is bulky enough to cause intestinal contractions and pass through the body with ease.
If you don’t have enough water along with Citrucel, it can worsen your constipation problem and lead to bloating and stomach cramps .
Is It Safe To Take Citrucel While Pregnant?
The gastrointestinal (GI) tract doesn’t absorb Citrucel. Therefore, the use of Citrucel during pregnancy is considered safe . Although Citrucel is an over-the-counter (OTC) laxative, you should consult your doctor before you use it during pregnancy.
Pregnancy And Constipation:
Constipation is one of the symptoms of a normal pregnancy. It occurs due to the many hormonal changes in the body. During pregnancy, the amount of progesterone hormone increases in the body, which relaxes your intestinal muscles. The effect restricts the movement of food through the digestive tract, which slows down and causes constipation. You also need to take extra iron in the form of supplements, which also can cause constipation .
[ Read: Is It Safe To Detox During Pregnancy ]
A Word Of Caution:
- Take Citrucel with a big glass of water (at least 240 ml/8 ounces) or else it can lead to complications such as swollen throat and esophagus blockages. These problems can cause choking . Sufficient water intake is a must with Citrucel use whether you take powder or capsules. For added benefit, consume an additional glass of water an hour after Citrucel intake.
- During pregnancy, constipation may also be a sign of a bigger problem such as bowel obstruction, appendicitis or any other condition. Therefore, a consultation with your doctor is a must before you use Citrucel during pregnancy .
- Certain inactive compounds in Citrucel may cause allergies upon use. If you know about allergens that cause you problems, tell about those to your doctor before using Citrucel . If you notice any rashes, difficulty in breathing, swollen tongue or throat, itching or dizziness upon Citrucel intake, then it could be an allergic reaction..
- Contact your doctor immediately if you experience stomach cramps, pain, rectum bleeding or weakness upon Citrucel use during pregnancy .
- Though uncommon, compounds in Citrucel may interact with certain medications during pregnancy. It is another reason pregnant women must use Citrucel only under the supervision of their doctors even if the laxative itself is safe to use during pregnancy .
Tips To Overcome Constipation During Pregnancy:
You should only use laxatives as a last resort for constipation during pregnancy. There are several steps you can take to keep constipation at bay .
- Insufficient intake of water often causes constipation. Make sure you drink plenty of water and healthy liquids during your entire term.
- Consume more fiber-rich foods such as whole grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes and beans.
- Unless your doctor advises you minimal or no physical activity when you are pregnant, make sure you continue to do mild exercises during your term as per your comfort level.
[ Read: Is Tramadol Safe During Pregnancy ]
Constipation is another problem amongst many that can make life difficult for you. But, fortunately, it can be managed well with the help of a good diet, mild exercise and use of safe laxatives such as Citrucel. In case, you don’t experience normal bowel movements for a few days, consult your doctor. Follow your doctor’s advice to tackle constipation during pregnancy and you can expect normal bowel movements in no time.
Did you suffer from constipation during pregnancy? What measures did you take? Did you knew about citrucel and pregnancy? Please share your tips with fellow moms below. Leave a comment.
- Is It Safe To Take Lexapro (Escitalopram) During Pregnancy?
- HCTZ (Hydrochlorothiazide) During Pregnancy – Uses, Dosage & Side Effects
- Is It Safe To Use Garcinia Cambogia While You Are Pregnant?
- Is It Safe To Take Penicillin During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Rakhee M (see all)
- Meningococcal Vaccine – Everything You Need To Know - March 7, 2016
- Sore Throat Or Throat Infection In Babies - Causes, Symptoms & Remedies - March 2, 2016
- Pyloric Stenosis In Babies – 5 Causes & 6 Symptoms You Should Be Aware Of - February 29, 2016