Does your child face difficulty while spelling words? Does he find it difficult to distinguish letters? If you said yes, you might want to seek medical attention, he could have dyslexia. Read our post here to learn more about dyslexia in toddlers. Here, we will help parents understand what dyslexia is and develop a plan to decide the future course of action.
Parents have the most important role to play in a child’s life, and if the child is dyslexic, it might become more challenging.
What Is Dyslexia?
Dyslexia is a learning disability, where the affected child finds it difficult to read and understand words, letters, and other symbols. Dyslexia does not affect the child’s general intelligence. It is a chronic condition. Your child might need your support and it is only your belief and help that can make him confident (1).
Causes Of Dyslexia In Toddlers:Sponsored
The causes of dyslexia are not known, but according to experts, some possible causes of dyslexia may include:
- Dyslexia is a genetic disorder, and hence genes might be one of the reasons for dyslexia. 40% of children whose siblings are dyslexic might have reading and spelling issues.
- It is a misconception that dyslexic kids are not bright, they are extremely intelligent, but their brain looks a bit different than normal brains. Brain anatomy might be one of the causes of dyslexia.
- The brain translates symbols that one envisions into sound. These sounds are then converted to meaningful sentences or words. Kids who suffer from the disability use different areas of the brain to compensate for not being able to convert symbols into sound.
- A dyslexic child relies on the right brain, and the right brain is unable to interpret phonics or to hear, identify, and manipulate phonemes.
With proper training and monitoring, you can make considerable changes to your child’s ability to learn.
[ Read: Dyspraxia In Toddlers ]
Signs Of Dyslexia In Toddlers:
The symptoms of learning and attention issues differ from one child to another. While a few kids might have reading and spelling troubles, the others might battle to read from left to right. Some typical dyslexia symptoms in toddlers include:
- Trouble with school work
- Poor handwriting
- Difficulty remembering numbers
- Cannot multi-task, might have trouble in following the set sequence of directions.
Diagnosing Dyslexia In Toddlers:
There is no single test for detecting dyslexia in toddlers. The doctor will consider and evaluate your child on various factors like:
- The speed of development, issues in education and medical history.
- The atmosphere in which the child is brought up, life at home and who all live in the family.
- The doctor might also want the parent or teacher to answer certain questions to be able to understand the condition better.
- An eye test, ear test, and brain test determines whether some other disorder causes the poor readability.
- A set of educational tests, an expert may analyze the quality of reading.
[ Read: Stuttering In Toddlers ]
Treating Dyslexia In Toddlers:
Dyslexia is a lifelong condition, but with training techniques, your child can overcome the learning disability. Children who get help since kindergarten might have substantial improvement, which helps them succeed in elementary and high school (2).
It is crucial to address the problem early so that the right line of treatment can help your toddler overcome the condition. Read aloud to him; make him listen to recorded books. When he is a little older, read stories together. Encourage him to read every day, and make the practice enjoyable.
[ Read: Signs of Speech Delay In Toddlers ]
Does your child suffer from dyslexia? What did the doctor advise? If you have any other information on Dyslexia, or would like to share an experience, please leave a comment below.
- 5 Effective Ways To Encourage Your Toddler To Talk
- 10 Effective Ways To Build Confidence In Toddlers
- 10 Learning Activities For Your Toddlers
- 6 Tips To Enhance The Pre-Reading Skills In Your Toddler
Latest posts by Payal Morjaria (see all)
- Norovirus Infections And Pregnancy - Everything You Should Be Aware Of - November 17, 2015
- How To Get Rid Of Body Odor During Pregnancy? - November 16, 2015
- Is Anal Sex Safe During Pregnancy? - November 7, 2015