Have you ever tried yoga and believe in the many benefits that it can have for your mind and body? Have you personally gained from practicing yoga and now want to introduce it to your kids too?
If you want to know about the numerous benefits of yoga and would like to find out few yoga poses for kids that would work best, read on to find out all about it.
What Is Yoga?
While there are many benefits of yoga, it is mainly a set of different physical exercises, or postures, that are known as asanas in the world of yoga. The different asanas take care of each part of your body as well as help to keep your mind in control. Yoga is not just about exercises, it is also a lot about breathing and being able to keep control over your actions.
What Are The Benefits Of Yoga For Kids?
Just like there are many benefits of yoga for grownups, it also has many benefits when kids practice the same. Here are some of the many benefits that yoga can teach your kids:
1. Yoga Will Help Your Kids Breathe Better:
- One of the main practices of yoga is to teach kids how to breathe better.
- One of the most important asanas of yoga is the pranayama, which will teach your kid to breathe fully.
- As your kids do so, they will be able to open up their airways and breathe in more, which will help keep their system healthy and have more stamina.
[ Read: Strength Exercises For Kids ]
2. Yoga Will Make Your Kids More Aware Of Their Bodies:
- Once your kids start practicing yoga, they will have to learn to use all parts of their bodies.
- As your kids learn more and more of the asanas, they will learn to become more flexible and be able to move more freely.
- The many postures of yoga will help your kid to become stronger and will also give a lot of exercise and movement to their individual body parts.
3. Yoga Will Help Your Kids Learn To Balance Better:
- As your kids practice the yoga asanas, not only will they learn to balance their bodies but will also learn to create balance in their lives.
- Your kids will learn all about how to take care of all parts of their body and also keep their mind in control.
- In life, they will learn how to balance out their work as per the time and make better choices that will help them manage things better and more efficiently.
[ Read: Aerobic Exercises For Kids ]
4. Your Kids Will Learn How To Keep Their Mind Calm:
- When your kids do yoga, they have to learn to be quiet for longer periods of time and practice meditation.
- Your kids will have to know how to sit still and be in one place, without getting distracted or without getting impatient.
- As a result, your kids will be able to stay calm for longer and keep their mind at ease.
5. Yoga Will Let Your Kids Use Their Energy Better:
- When your kids start practicing yoga, they will be taught to take better care of their prana, which is the energy of the life.
- Your kids will learn how to better manage the energy that they have within and how to channelize it in their day to day activities and situations.
Yoga Poses That Your Kids Will Love And Benefit From:
Here are a few yoga poses that your kids will love practicing at home and that will also bring them a host of benefits:
1. The Bridge Pose Or The Setu Bandha Sarvangasana Pose:
- Ask your kid to lie down on the floor on their back.
- Your kid has to bend both the knees and keep the feet flat on the ground.
- Ask your kid to bring the heels close to their hips as much as they are comfortable with.
- Next, ask your kid to lift their hips off the ground as high as they can.
- Let your kid hold that pose for as much time as they are comfortable and then slowly get down to the starting pose.
How It Helps:
The bridge pose will help to reverse the flow of blood in your kid’s body. When that happens, it will help to re-oxygenate the body and improve the overall blood flow in your kid’s body. it will also help to improve your kid’s level of energy.
[ Read: Benefits Of Pilates For Kids ]
2. The Doggy Pose Or The Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog) Pose:
- Ask your kid to balance down on the ground on both hands and feet.
- Once your kid gets the balance right, ask them to tuck in their toes and lift their hips higher towards the ceiling.
- Your kid has to do the balancing in such a way that their body makes a kind of triangle pose, with the help of the mat, the hands and feet on the ground and the hips in the air.
- Now ask your kid to press their chest towards the front and make sure that they put their head downwards in a hanging down pose.
- At this point, your kid may automatically veer towards getting their body balanced on tiptoe. Instead of doing that, ask your kid to try and keep their feet on the ground as much as they can and bend their knee a little unless they can’t do without it at all. It is one of the best yoga poses for children to add to their daily list.
How It Helps:
The doggy pose will also help to reverse the flow of blood in your kid’s body and help to re-oxygenate the body. Not just that, it will also help to give your kid’s body a resting pose that will help to make their bodies feel more stable. The doggy yoga child pose will help to create a home base for all your kid’s different yoga poses. It is also a pose that will help your kid to strengthen different parts of the body and maintain better balance.
3. The Crescent Moon Pose Or The Ardha Chandrasana Pose:
- Ask your kid to stand straight on the ground with the feet balanced properly.
- Help your kid extend their arms towards the air and open up their hands. They have to try and stretch out their fingertips to both sides as much as they can.
- While doing the particular asana, your kid has to make sure that their spine is erect and their knees are straight and not getting bent.
- In the beginning, your kid may find it a little difficult to maintain the pose and may wobble a little or even fall off to one side. Be around to make sure that you help your kid in case they have any problem in maintaining their balance.
- Also make sure that your kid continues to breathe evenly all the time while doing this exercise, as it will help them hold the pose better. It is the best yoga poses for kids of all ages.
How It Helps:
The crescent moon pose will help to improve your kid’s flexibility and will also help to stretch out your kid’s body fully. Sometimes, kids suffer through a lot of injuries because the sides of their bodies are very tight and are not flexible at all. By doing the crescent moon pose, your kids will stretch out the sides of their bodies and make it more flexible, which will help them to avoid injury.
4. The Tree Pose Or The Vrkasana Pose:
- Make sure that your kid first stands on the ground with the feet properly balanced and firmly in place.
- Now ask your kid to place one foot very firmly on the mat while slowly pulling up the other and trying to balance.
- Once your kid is able to hold the pose and balance on one foot, ask them to place the heel of that lifted foot on the inner ankle of the other leg and hold it there.
- After the first few attempts, your kid will slowly get better at balancing their body perfectly. Ask them to completely lift off that foot from the ground and place it on the inner ankle of the other leg.
- While your kid is trying out this pose, ask them to slowly breathe in through the nose and then again breathe out through the nose, and make sure their mouth is closed.
How It Helps:
The tree pose will help your kid to make their minds calmer and make them able to concentrate better. It will also help them to tighten up their cores and get better balance overall. The tree pose will help your kids to stay calm and focused and concentrate better, without their attention going everywhere. It will also help them to hold their thoughts and think better.
[ Read: Relaxation Exercises for kids ]
5. The Mountain Pose Or The Tadasana Pose:
- Ask your kid to stand on the ground and place their feet firmly and balance.
- Let your kid stand straight and maintain an erect posture. At the same time, your kid has to also try and relax their shoulders, back and body overall.
- Make sure that your kid also balances the body weight equally on both the feet. It is a easy yoga poses for kids and can be quite challenging.
How It Helps:
The mountain pose will help your kid to maintain good posture and experience peace overall. It will also encourage your kid to stand taller and will help them to strengthen their body overall.
6. The Rag Doll Pose Or The Uttanasana Pose:
- For the rag doll pose, ask your kid to stand straight on the ground and balance the body weight properly on both the feet.
- Once your kid is comfortable, ask them to slowly bend forward. While doing so, your kid can also bend their knees.
- Make sure that you are around, as your kid may lose balance the first few times and can have the risk of a fall.
- Ask your kid to slowly bend forward and bring the head downwards towards the knees. Once your kid is comfortable, ask them to hold their feet with both their hands and maintain balance.
How It Helps:
The rag doll pose will concentrate mostly on your kid’s hamstring. Most kids have weak hamstrings that are mostly too tight and are not that flexible. The more your kid will practice the rag doll pose the more they will be able to make their hamstring flexible. It will also help them to prevent getting injured during play. Also, the rag doll pose will help to make your kid’s blood flow in the reverse direction, which will help to re-oxygenate the body.
7. The Happy Baby Pose Or The Balasana Pose:
- To do the happy baby pose, ask your kid to lie down on the floor on their back and pull in their knees towards their belly.
- Once they bring in their knees near their belly, ask them to hold the outside of their feet with both hands.
- Now ask your kid to open up their knees in such a wide that it gets as wide as they can do comfortably. The knees have to ideally be as wide as their torso.
- Now your kid has to press the feet into the hands.
- Make sure that while your kid is doing this particular pose, they keep the tailbone touching on the ground and do not move high.
How It Helps:
The happy baby pose will help your kid to make their spines stronger and more flexible. The pose will also help your kid to keep the spine aligned the way it should be and will also help to open up the hip area and make it more flexible. All of this will help to make your kid’s overall body more flexible.
8. The Butterfly Pose Or The Baddha Konasana Pose:
- Ask your kid to sit down on the floor and bend both the knees inwards in such a way that the soles of their feet touch each other.
- Your kid has to then hold the feet with both the hands and press it down, and also press down the thighs with the help of the elbows.
How It Helps:
The butterfly pose will help to open up your kid’s hip area and will also provide a lot of stretch to the ankle area. The pose will also help your kid maintain better posture and keep the spine erect.
Doing yoga with kids can be a great way to encourage good posture and various other health benefits that are associated with the same.
Do your kids practice yoga? If yes, what poses do they try? If no, will you introduce them to yoga in the near future?
- Top 10 Martial Arts Games For Kids
- 11 Fun And Interesting Tennis Facts For Kids
- 12 Benefits Of Martial Arts For Kids
- 9 Amazing Ways In Which Gymnastics Can Benefit Your Child
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017