Most consider flu as one of the simplest ailments, but very few people know that it can be extremely dangerous during pregnancy.
A would be mommy’s is more susceptible to infections; because her child shares her blood supply, resulting in weakening of the immune system.
There is also a high probability of the infection getting complicated & converted into pneumonia or a severe lung infection. There are many cases where pregnant women get through with Flu without any complication. However, it is always better to safeguard expecting mom’s from all sorts of infections!
Difference Between Cold & Flu During Pregnancy:
Are you expecting? Then it is crucial that you and your close ones should stay watchful about the symptoms. Though a few symptoms (e.g., sneezing, runny nose, sore throat and cough) are common between Flu and common cough and cold, a few distinctly identify the former one.
- You should be observant for vomiting sensation, nausea or diarrhea. In the majority of the cases, it gets diagnosed as Flu.
- Fever, body ache and fatigue are other prominent symptoms of flu in pregnancy . Especially if you turn blue, then it is a big alert.
- Check the color of sputum. If it is red or brown, then seek immediate medical help.
- Dizzy, unconsciousness or confused state of mind is very important signs.
- Any kind of pain in the chest or upper abdominal area should not be ignored. It may be a symptom of severe infection in your lungs.
- Notice your body movements, especially during the second or third trimester. If there is a noteworthy drop, then seek a physician’s help immediately.
How to Cure Flu During Pregnancy:
The best remedy is to avoid the infection. But failing that and finding yourself infected, you should immediately consult your doctor. He will start treatment after looking at the investigation results and minimize the risk.
- Pregnant women are treated slightly differently, than a normal person suffering from Flu. Controlling high fever is the first priority. Doctors assess the severity of infection and prescribe antiviral drugs.
- It is important to know the type of infection before prescribing any drug. Medicines control the outbreak of a virus within 48 hours, but would-be moms may have to spend a longer time in the hospital as compared to others.
As your gynaeac must have already told you, any kind of infection is problematic during pregnancy. Following tips would help you greatly in avoiding the Flu:
- Vaccination is the best way. Ask your doctor if you need any special shots, or check your medical record to see if you are up to date with the necessary shots.
- It is important to maintain a high level of cleanliness in your home. Floors, furniture, and handles should regularly be wiped with a mild disinfectant solution.
- Pregnant women must avoid contact with people suffering from any kind of infection, minor or major.
- Wash your hands before and after you eat, handle food items during cooking, housework, gardening, or go to the bathroom.
- Take special care while traveling. Carry a liquid sanitizer in your handbag or purse, at all time and take it with you.
- Avoid public contact as much as possible, especially during outbursts of infections.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth while travelling. It multiplies the probability of infection.
- You will have to visit the hospital at least twice a month, for checkups, scans, etc. Always wash your hands after returning from the hospital.
Pregnancy is an important phase of life and there should be enough precaution taken to avoid medical complications. Avoiding excessive public contact reduces the risk greatly. Balanced diet, moderate exercise and overall physical fitness improve the immunity level and reduce chances of infection. We wish you a safe and healthy pregnancy.
Share your experiences of how to cure flu during pregnancy with us.
- Fever During Pregnancy – 7 Causes And 7 Simple Ways To Tackle It
- Sinus During Pregnancy – 3 Causes, 3 Symptoms & 6 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- Diarrhea In Pregnancy – Signs, Causes And Treatments
- 10 Useful Measures To Tackle Piles During Pregnancy
Latest posts by needhi gandhi (see all)
- 10 Best John Deere Coloring Pages Your Toddler Will Love To Color - November 19, 2014
- 4 Stages of Intellectual Development In Children - November 5, 2014
- Top 25 Cowboy Coloring Pages For Your Little Ones - October 13, 2014