Parents tend to wear more than one hat when it comes to raising children. Whoever said it does not seems to see the frustration, anger, stubbornness and an array of such emotions that children grow!
7 Effective Ways On How To Promote Positive Behaviour In Children:
To make sure children grow up to be good adults, encouraging positive behaviour in children is very essential for parents. Consistency, alertness and the below measures are necessary as well, but above all, as a parent, YOU need to ready and equipped to go this journey.
1. Be a Role Model:
Environment is a powerful teacher. It is the same environment that separates human behavior from that of animals. Similarly, the environment that you create for your children is what he or she will imbibe.
- For everything you do, your child is looking up to you. Be a role model; do not whine or swear in front of your children.
- In fact, the more harmonious, realistic and positive aura you will maintain in the house, your child will build that mental picture and is likely to grow out of that imagery.
[ Read: Important Life Lessons For Kids ]
2. Pay Heed:
Listen to your children without interrupting, without pre-judging. Listening is a powerful tool that makes your child feel that he is part of the game.
- Not being able to express, can be difficult for the child to cope.
- But by being there with them and giving them a little boost is all that the need to conquer apprehension, anxiety, confidence issues if any.
3. Keep Your Word:
Children understand simple logic of ‘yes’ and ‘no’, it’s adults who complicate it with a ‘maybe’.
- If you have committed a trip to the zoo in lieu of completing homework for the week, stick to your word.
- This way they learn the discipline of commitments and at the same time trust you for what you say.
[ Read: How To Develop Creativity In Kids ]
4. Be Cautious:
Go an extra mile with your belongings if you do not want children to reach them.
- After all, they are kids and finding anything to play with is the only thing they know of, at this age.
- You need not scold them for playing with the valuables, rather just keep them away from their sight. I you scold, that may arise negative feelings in your child and he or she may want to grab that particular thing again and again.
- Be polite in doing this.
5. Learn To Say ‘No’:
It is very difficult to say ‘no’, but even more difficult to change stubborn behavior.
- You do not have to agree for everything. Doing so, you will give them wrong signals.
- When you say no to them, your child knows that he or she is liable to gain your permission and whatever it may be, it’s important to respect your say and follow ground rules.
[ Read: Role Of Parents In Child Development ]
6. Do Not Preach:
Stop teaching your children what to do. Leave it up to them and you’ll be surprised with what your children can do.
- Sometimes, over-preaching will have the opposite effects! It is better to guide, not instruct.
- That’s how they learn to make their own decisions, be responsible for their own actions and become independent.
[ Read: Good Habits For Kids ]
7. Do Not Tag Them:
Tagging your kids as misbehaving, less intelligent or any sort of labels builds up negative emotions. You are not encouraging them to do better rather countering their self confidence by doing so.
- If you want them to study, share its benefits with them. Without pressurizing, convey gently what you expect from them and why.
- Boosting their self esteem will bring out the best behavior in them.
Master patience! This is the first rule in the journey. Parenting is another word for patience and positive behaviour too, which cannot be achieved in a day. But with time it can certainly be done.
[ Read: Strong Willed Child ]
Was the above article helpful? Do you know ways to promote positive behaviour in children other than the one’s mentioned above? Share it with other moms by writing in the ‘comments’ section below.
- 7 Factors That Influence Children’s Social And Emotional Development
- 10 Best Ways To Boost Your Kid’s Confidence
- 3 Best Ways To Help Children Develop Self Control
- Top 8 Tips To Make Your Child Independent
Latest posts by Kinjal Shah (see all)
- 4 Best Cooking Methods For Preparing Homemade Baby Food - November 29, 2014
- Top 10 Creative Shape Activities For Preschoolers - November 7, 2014
- Top 10 Easy And Healthy Rice Recipes For Kids - October 17, 2014