Most woman has a dream of becoming a mother one day. But at what age she wants to attain motherhood differs from individual to individual. Many women of 21st century are career oriented and ambitious and may want to conceive a child once they fulfill their professional goals.
For such times, Egg Freezing is the best option to opt for. What is it? Don’t worry here is our article on that for you.
What Is Egg Freezing?
When a woman attains a certain age, she might find it difficult to become pregnant due to infertility issues. In order to avoid such problems at later stage, science has found a solution – Egg Freezing.
- In this egg freezing procedure, a woman can preserve her eggs (using the help of her doctor or medical team) when she is in her fertile phase.
- She can then use them later when she wants to start a family. In simple terms, this process is called as freezing a woman’s egg.
[ Read: What Is The Right Age To Get Pregnant ]
How Does Egg Freezing Take Place?
Although egg freezing is a powerful tool for women, it is necessary to understand its nitty-gritties before you decide to plunge into it.
- The first step is to get your medical health tested by doing a blood test. At this level it is also necessary to gauge your fertility level.
- When your fertility level is good, your doctor will introduce you to IVF (In Vitro Fertilisation) drugs for a pre-decided period of almost 10 days.
- This drug will stimulate your ovaries to produce more number of follicles which can have good quality eggs.
- When your follicles reach the optimum size of 1.5mm, again a dose is given to let the egg get released from the follicles
- Your doctor will then try to extract around 10-12 eggs through laparoscopy or by a small incision.
- These eggs are then allowed to freeze, so that it can be made to use for future purpose.
This entire egg freezing process is worth and a good investment as it helps in preserving your fertility for future use.
[ Read: Can Stress Affect Getting Pregnant ]
How Can You Use The Egg In Future?
When you decide in future that it is time for you to conceive your child, you can put your preserved egg to use.
- Your eggs are stored at a temperature of -196 degrees and thus you can be sure that it will not be damaged.
- When your eggs are to be used, it is then thawed by keeping a controlled temperature.
- After that it is again warmed and injected with a sperm in your uterus.
- When this test becomes successful you can become pregnant.
[ Read: When To Stop Taking Birth Control Pills ]
Success Rate With Egg Freezing:
It is true that this method may not yield 100% results, but in majority of cases it has been successful. However, there are three important factors on which the success of egg freezing will depend.
- The first being the age of the woman when she decided to go for this procedure. The earlier the better.
- Secondly, it is also important to know how many eggs were given for freezing. If more eggs are taken then there are more chances for success.
- And lastly, when the eggs are reinserted, how successfully it is done. A lot depends on proper injection of the fertilised eggs.
Side Effects Of Egg Freezing:
As such, there are no confirmed reports on harms caused by egg freezing and the babies born through egg freezing are also normal without any birth defects. But some reports suggest that the usage of IVF drugs can cause
- Abdominal swelling and pain
All these symptoms might affect rarely 1-2% of women who opt for this process.
[ Read: How To Get Pregnant ]
Time Period Of Freezing Eggs:
- As the whole idea of using a frozen egg is to use it in future, you can store it for quite a long period.
- There have been cases where it was used after 10 years and provided positive results.
Thus, now a woman need not be trapped in the dilemma of personal versus professional life. She can have best of both the worlds and enjoy motherhood when she is ready for it.
We hope you find the article informative. Do share your views on this whole idea with us.
- Will HPV Effect Your Chances Of Getting Pregnant?
- What Are My Chances Of Getting Pregnant – Before, During And After Periods?
- 20 Great Tips To Improve Your Chances Of Getting Pregnant
- Infertility Treatment – Gamete Intrafallopian Transfer (GIFT)
Latest posts by Palak Shah (see all)
- Is It Safe To Eat Rambutan During Pregnancy? - November 4, 2015
- Gonorrhea During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of - January 2, 2015
- Is It Safe To Donate Blood While Breastfeeding? - December 31, 2014