Are you in your second trimester and feel lazy most of the time? Does moving from one place to another seem like a herculean task? Have you ever considered exercising to beat these bouts of laziness? If no, then it is time that you start doing few exercises to energize yourself! In this post, we tell you few simple and safe exercises that you can do easily at your home!
While the second term of your pregnancy is exciting, it is also quite taxing physically. You can move around but may feel lethargic and heavy. You feel tired most of the times and feel like lying down to rest for a while. However, exercising the right way can give you that much needed boost of energy.
There are a few exercises you can safely do throughout your pregnancy like walking and little bit of stretching. However, every woman’s body reacts differently to pregnancy. It is highly recommended that you speak to your doctor about your exercise routine and get an approval before starting anything.
Here are some forms of safe exercises during second trimester that are considered safe:
1. Slow Jogging And Running:
If you have been jogging or running before your pregnancy, you can safely continue even in your second trimester.
- The second trimester is a good time for you to safely continue with light jogging.
- At this stage, your uterus is getting large. This implies your center of gravity is shifting.
- Ensure you run on a flat surface and in a place where you can easily sit down if needed.
[ Read: Breathing Exercises During Pregnancy ]
Yoga can be safely practiced in different forms throughout your pregnancy.
- Keep your breathing slow and even.
- Avoid any poses that may require too much stressing or make you feel dizzy.
- Practice asanas that require you to be seated or lying down on your back.
[ Read: Pranayama During Pregnancy ]
Swimming too can be safely continued if you have been swimming till now.
- You can swim slowly initially to let your body warm up.
- Try and practice light water aerobics that do not stress you out.
- Simple swimming strokes will ensure your breathing is regular and your stamina is not lost.
[ Read: Swimming During Pregnancy ]
4. Weight Training:
For this forward pull up exercise, you can use a very light weight or even a water bottle. In case you feel dizzy or uneasy, stop the exercise immediately and slowly sit down.
- Place your left leg in front of you.
- Bend the knees slightly.
- Lower your upper body slowly towards your left knee.
- Now rest your left hand on the left knee for support.
- Keep your right arm straight down.
- Now slowly lift it up, ensuring your right elbow is close to your body.
- As you lift your arm your elbow should be pointing upward towards the ceiling.
- Repeat a few times.
5. Exercise While Lying Down:
This exercise during second trimester is very easy to follow as it requires you only to lie down.
- Lie down slowly on your left side on a comfortable mat on the floor.
- Bend your knees and hips at a 45 degree angle.
- Keep your feet together.
- Now raise your right knee as high as you can.
- Ensure your pelvis does not move as you do so.
- Pause and hold the position for a few seconds.
- Return to the starting position.
- Now repeat with the other side.
6. Kegel Exercise:
Kegel exercises are especially good during pregnancy.
- Sit down comfortably on a chair or on the bed.
- Squeeze in your pelvic floor muscle tightly.
- Hold this position for about 8-10 seconds.
- If you are not sure how to do this, imagine yourself stopping yourself from peeing when you really need to use the washroom.
- Slowly release.
- Repeat the steps for a few times.
[ Read: Kegel Exercise During Pregnancy ]
7. Exercise While Sitting:
You can easily do this exercise while sitting on a chair and resting.
- Sit down comfortably on a chair.
- Now lift up one of your legs and move it as if you are cycling.
- Do this for about 20 times or less if you are not comfortable.
- Slowly bring down your leg and return to the starting position.
- Now repeat the same with the other leg.
These exercises during second trimester of pregnancy can be performed easily and safely, only if your doctor has given you an all clear. If you are under the influence of certain medication or have been diagnosed with any medical condition that may tire you easily, we suggest you refrain from exercising right now.
Your body is also a great judge to tell you when to stop. Listen to the warning signs and stop the moment you feel any discomfort.
Have you tried doing any of these exercises during second trimester? Do you suggest any new form of exercises to other moms? If yes, please do share your experiences with us in the comments section below.
- 7 Precautions For An Effective Pilates Workout During Pregnancy
- 6 Amazing Benefits Of Walking During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Practice Ashtanga Yoga During Pregnancy?
- 6 Effective Baba Ramdev Yoga Asanas For Pregnant Women
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017
- Indian Diet During Pregnancy - A Healthy Daily Diet Chart - September 16, 2016
- Top 20 Indian Food Ideas For Your Baby - September 15, 2016