Staying fit and active is something that is important, irrespective of age. A great way to stay fit is by spending time in outdoor activities that help strengthen the body.
However, teenagers these days are spending more and more time indoors, which can be quite a cause for concern. Add to that habits like unhealthy eating and sitting for long hours, and you may have some serious issues at hand.
Top 10 Fitness Tips For Teenagers:
While spending time outdoors is one way of staying fit, as a parent, you can make your child get involved in some other habits that are healthy too.
Here is a list of the top 10 teenage health and fitness tips that will help them to stay active and healthy.
1. Limit Screen Time:
One of the most concerning factors that affects kids today is their addiction to using gadgets – cellphones, tablet devices and computers – to spend their free time.
- Make sure you set rules for spending time with gadgets.
- Help your teen spend his free time in other constructive activities.
2. Healthy Snacking:
Adopt a practice of choosing healthy snacks for your kid.
- Stick to homemade versions of popular foods like pizzas and burgers.
- Swap the can of soda for fresh lime juice.
- It is also a great idea to involve your teen in helping you cook.
3. Consider Weight Training:
For those teens who are near 18, weight training is an excellent option.
- Resistance exercises 3 days a week can improve muscle, strength and power.
- It is also a great way to prevent obesity too!
4. Make Workouts Enjoyable:
One of the best ways to make sure that your teen sticks to a fitness routine is to make his workout sessions enjoyable and less boring.
- From swimming and tennis to hiking and bicycling, try to encourage him to try different sports as a part of his physical activity every day.
5. Drink Up:
It is important to drink at least 7-8 glasses of water a day.
- Keep your teen rehydrated.
- Make sure he keeps up the water intake quantity.
- This will help the toxins to be flushed out and all the body systems will work well in coordination with each other.
[ Read: Pilates For Teens ]
6. Get Out!
Adopt a practice of getting your teen to spend some time outdoors in some games or activities.
- A game of Frisbee or just a simple walk with the dog should do just fine in the beginning.
- If your teen has been a couch potato for too long this is the time to start heading out.
7. Breakfast Counts:
Having a healthy breakfast is the best way to kick start the day with energy.
- It has been found that people who skip breakfast are more likely to indulge in unhealthy eating practices.
- Make sure your teen has a healthy, hearty breakfast everyday.
- This will make him less likely to binge eat.
8. Mindful Eating:
Mindful eating is a practice that is severely underestimated when it comes to fitness and health.
- Avoid letting your teenager use the cellphone or watch the TV while eating.
- Avoid talking too while eating.
- Ask your child to savor every bit of the meal he’s taking.
9. Portion Control:
This tip works wonders when eating out.
- When you’re at a fast food joint, concentrate on the portions.
- Make sure your teen has smaller, frequent meals throughout the day instead of 3 heavy meals.
- This will keep his digestion in control and will make him less likely to feel sluggish.
10. Plan it!
Sticking to a teenage fitness plan has many health benefits, especially these days when lifestyle related health disorders are common.
- Exercising during the teen years will ensure that your kid is well protected from health conditions like obesity, diabetes and high blood pressure.
Following these simple tips will ensure that your kid is fit, active and healthy. It will also keep your teen well-protected against major lifestyle related diseases that affect millions of kids around the globe today.
Have more effective fitness tips for teenagers? Share with other parents under the the section below
- 7 Incredible Benefits Of Regular Exercises For Your Teens
- Parenting Tips To Raise Your Teenagers Well
- 10 Common Teenage Girls Problems And Their Solutions
Latest posts by Enozia Vakil (see all)
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis In Children - 7 Symptoms & 4 Remedies - January 16, 2017
- Canker Sores In Children - Causes, Treatment And Remedies - January 12, 2017
- 8 Helpful Language Development Tips For Children - July 30, 2015