Your infant’s immune system is not as robust as yours, making him an easy target for many diseases. Influenza, or flu as it is commonly known, is something that troubles every child. Some babies are more prone to catch flu because of low resistance, especially during winters, when the virus is prevalent.
Knowing when your child has flu and getting the correct treatment promptly can help your child come out of the disease faster.
Is It Flu? Symptoms To Watch Out For:
Flu can often be mistaken for common cold because of some familiar symptoms. However, you must be cautious of the following signs:
1. Fever, especially if it goes above 101 degrees
3. Fatigue and weakness
4. Respiratory problem
5. Coughing and sore throat
6. Runny nose
7. Body aches and headache
8. Vomiting and stomach ache
10. Lack of appetite
If you see any one of the signs in your little one he or she might be suffering from flu. Fever is most likely to persist for a week, though other symptoms may go away sooner with proper treatment.
[ Read: Oral Thrush In Infants ]
What Causes Flu In Babies?
The primary cause for flu is the influenza virus, which is of three types – A, B and C. The ‘flu season’ from October to February is most conducive for these viruses.
Flu is highly infectious and can be caused by someone who is already carrying the virus. So, keeping your child well protected and away from infections is important.
How To Prevent Flu?
A vaccine is given for preventing flu, which will be administered to your child once he or she is over six months of age. In case your child has symptoms of chronic diseases like asthma, then getting the shot is essential.
- You can also prevent the onset of flu by being keeping infections at bay:
- Wash your hands properly before holding your baby, especially if you have cough or cold.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose and mouth as this can help germs to spread.
- All utensils in which you serve your baby’s food must be cleaned properly.
- All clothes must be disinfected before making your baby wear them. Even toys must be wiped thoroughly to avoid infections.
- Try to keep the baby’s room dry and warm as the virus grows more easily in damp and cold places.
[ Read: Baby Neck Rash ]
How To Treat Flu In Babies?
If not treated timely, flu can cause pneumonia or other complications, which may call for hospitalization. Here are some ways in which you can cure baby with flu:
- Make sure that your baby is getting proper rest and sleep.
- Administer plenty of fluids, which will help to wash away the toxins and keep dehydration at bay.
- Medicines are prescribed for children according to their age. Tamiflu is the most common medicine advised for babies. Do not give over the counter medicines like aspirin, as they can cause serious side effects.
- A pain reliever can be advised by the doctor to reduce body aches.
- If your baby is over six months of age and has not received the flu vaccine, make sure you check with the doctor at the earliest. Sometimes, the vaccine is given as nasal spray.
- Use suction bulbs to clear the mucus which blocks the nose and throat
- If your baby is less than six months old, do ensure that everyone coming in contact with her is vaccinated and no one is suffering from flu.
[ Read: Baby Bug Bites ]
When To Call The Doctor?
You must immediately consult a doctor in case:
- Your baby does not get active after fever is brought down.
- Vomiting or diarrhea does not subside.
- Your child is having trouble breathing.
- Symptoms like fever and aches persist even after a week.
- Your child’s skin turns bluish.
While flu is not very serious in itself, it can lead to other problems in infants. Recognizing the baby flu symptoms at early stage and taking proper precautions along with timely medical care is the best way to keep your baby healthy.
What do you do to prevent flu invasion in your baby? Share with us:
- 5 Effective Treatments To Cure Bug Bites In Babies
- Thrush In Infants – 2 Causes, 2 Symptoms & 2 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- 8 Simple Home-Care Tips To Treat Neck Rashes In Your Baby
Latest posts by needhi gandhi (see all)
- 10 Best John Deere Coloring Pages Your Toddler Will Love To Color - November 19, 2014
- 4 Stages of Intellectual Development In Children - November 5, 2014
- Top 25 Cowboy Coloring Pages For Your Little Ones - October 13, 2014