Are you worried that your little one is vulnerable to falling sick? Do you feel that he catches flu at the drop of a hat? Flu is quite a common occurrence in today’s time.
Especially among toddlers, it can create discomfort and complications if not detected and treated on time. Read on to know more about the common flu and it’s not so common symptoms.
What Is Flu?
Flu or influenza is a contagious virus that affects the respiratory system. It is very common during winters. You should not make the mistake of considering it to be a regular cold.
It is an air borne disease. Your toddler can this when an infected person releases droplets from the nose or throat. This happens commonly while coughing, sneezing or even while talking.
[ Read: Symptoms Of Stomach Flu In Toddler ]
Causes Of Flu In Toddlers:
Flu or influenza is caused by 3 types of influenza viruses.
- Types A and Type B result in yearly flu epidemics.
- Type C virus results in sporadic mild illness.
- Type A virus is divided into other sub-types depending on the chemical structure of the virus.
Symptoms Of Flu In Toddlers:
It is certainly a very unpleasant experience if your toddler is suffering from flu. Your toddler can get unwell pretty soon when the initial symptoms of flu start appearing. The worst scenario is when your toddler cannot articulate the symptoms. Take a look at the symptoms you need to watch out for:
- Feeling weak
- Complains of body ache
- Sore throat
Your toddler may also experience symptoms of diarrhea, vomiting and nausea.
[ Read: Symptoms Of Strep Throat In Toddlers ]
Prevention Of Flu In Toddlers:
As a mom you would always want to protect your little one from diseases like flu. Vaccination is the best way you can prevent flu.
- Babies who are 6 months or older can receive the flu vaccine. Vaccinating your toddler with influenza vaccine is the best way to protect him.
- Healthy toddlers above 2 years of age who do not have a history of asthma or wheeze can opt for nasal spray flu vaccine.
[ Read: Cold Sore Virus In Toddlers ]
What You Can Do To Keep Your Toddler Safe:
Common sense and basic hygiene can go a long way in protecting your toddler from flu. Take a look at the measures you can adopt to keep him safe:
- Ask your toddler to wash his hands often. If he is coughing or sneezing regularly then it is highly essential to wash his hands.
- Ask him to keep his hands away from his mouth. Your toddler may have the habit of picking everything he comes across and putting them in his mouth. You have to be careful about this. Germs get transmitted easily through nose, eyes and mouth.
- Ask your toddler to cover his mouth while coughing. This prevents spreading of germs to certain extent. If he is old enough, teach him to blow his nose.
- Ask him to sneeze discreetly. The sprays can travel far and wide so ask him to sneeze by covering his mouth with a tissue or napkin. He should wash his hands after disposing the tissue.
[ Read: Natural Remedies For Asthma In Toddlers ]
What If Your Toddler Gets Flu?
In case your doctor thinks your toddler has flu, he might use a cotton swab to get samples from his nose. Testing the sample can help determine flu. Flu can be predicted easily if there are numerous cases in the city. Once flu has been diagnosed, your doctor asks you to take the following steps to help him get better. Take a look below:
- Complete rest.
- Your toddler must take plenty of fluids, water and chicken broth.
- Take medicines prescribed by the doctor to ease pain, aches and fever.
- See to it if your toddler has problem breathing. In case he complains of breathing trouble you need to see the doctor again.
Now you know all that you have to do in case your toddler gets flu. We hope you worry less and tackle your toddler with flu better. This too shall pass and your toddler will become hale and healthy again.
- 14 Common Symptoms Of Meningitis In Toddlers
- 12 Serious Symptoms Of Scarlet Fever In Babies & Toddlers
- 5 Serious Causes Of Acid Reflux In Toddlers
- 5 Common Causes Of Stomach Pain In Toddlers
Latest posts by moumita ghosh (see all)
- 8 Effective Tips To Relieve Finger Pain During Pregnancy - November 23, 2015
- Top 5 Camel Crafts For Preschoolers And Young Kids - November 23, 2015
- 4 Interesting Winter Craft Ideas For Your Toddler - January 21, 2015