You can’t believe that your little one was just learning to sit, stand and walk recently, and now, He has stepped into kindergarten! This is the time your kid starts holding pencil and moving his/her hand on paper. Teaching writing to kindergarten students is an interesting task. At this age, they have ideas and thoughts that cannot be expressed by writing. But if trained properly, they will develop good handwriting and writing skills.
10 Fun Writing Activities For Kindergarten:
Children need different platforms to learn and write. You should not restrict your kids from writing on wall or door, as this is their first writing activity. You can hang a mini chalk board on the wall to avoid your wall getting dirty.
Here are some interesting and creative kindergarten writing games and activities.
1. Write an alphabet, number or shape on a white paper and make them to trace it with different colors of crayons.
2. Make rough cut outs of 3-4 buses and draw windows, wheels and doors with a sketch pen. Ask them to count and write windows, doors and wheels in each bus.
3. Collect clipboards and tape them with painter’s tape. Make colorful chalk boards by applying colorful paints and your child will happily start writing on it.
4. Write alphabets, shapes or numbers on a sandpaper and children will enjoy tracing it with colorful yarns. As sand paper is rough, the yarn will stay stiff on it.
[ Read: Number Games For Kindergarten ]
5. Draw a colorful house and make them to count windows and doors in it.
6. Cut the cardboard into the heart or different shapes and make a chalkboard out of it.
7. Make flower petals out of cardboard and ask them to color, count and write on petals.
8. Sand writing will be fun for kids.
9. Children enjoy making shape and alphabets with dough than paper.
10. Your children will love to write on the white board or tiles with dry erase markers.
Tips To Improve Your Kindergarten Writing :
Handwriting is one of the important parts of education, without which the education is incomplete.
- Involve your children in drawing and coloring and this will improve their handwriting.
- Make them write on dotted lines.
- Finger writing is another best way to improve their writing.
Cursive Writing Is Fun and your children have to use it daily. Here are some tips to help them learn cursive writing:
- Take A4 size sheet and fold it lengthwise.
- Make your kid write his/her name in cursive writing.
- Cut the paper in the shape of the alphabet.
- Unfold the paper and see the magic.
- Ask them to color and decorate the paper.
[ Read: Learning Games For Kindergarten ]
Writing Is Fun:
Generally, kids love to work with colorful things. Kindergarten children think writing is fun and grasp writing basics very soon. But they also have short attention spans, so it is vital you give them varied exercises.
- A writing activity is very important for children to improve and control their motor movements.
- It is tricky to make writing activities for kindergarten, as kids have different level of abilities.
- Initially, they find difficulty in holding a pencil and running their hand across the paper.
- You’ll get to know about your kid’s learning abilities during her writing activity, and design appropriate activities for them.
- Kids will get confidence and will improve their creativity under your guidance.
[ Read: How To Encourage Kids To Read ]
Hope this article is useful for mothers in making writing activity easy for their children. It is very much necessary for parents to get involved in writing activities with their children. If you take care of their writing initially, they develop good writing skills as they grow up.
Do share your thoughts on which writing activity for kindergarten was your favorite. If you have any interesting writing activity, we’d love to hear from you!
- Top 10 English Learning Games For Kindergarten
- Math Games And Activities For Kindergarten
- 10 Fun Science Experiments For Kindergarten
Latest posts by J KAVITHA (see all)
- 12 Useful Tips To Handle Night Shifts During Pregnancy - October 22, 2014
- How To Control Cellulite During Pregnancy? - October 21, 2014
- 22 Effective Tips To Make Your Teens Quit Smoking - September 4, 2014