Is any part of your baby’s skin scaly? Do you notice any inflammation on her skin or sores that ooze pus? Does she scratch her skin violently? If you can relate to the situation, you might want to give this post a read.
Fungal infection can affect babies and can be a worrying condition for moms. How do you know your little one suffers from a fungal infection? What do you about it? Get the answers below.
What Is A Fungal Infection?
Fungi are parasites that thrive on other living beings. Certain fungi tend to live on human skin and cause fungal skin infections. One of the common fungal infections is tinea. Here are some of the common fungal infections in babies that occur are.
- Scalp Ringworm is a fungal skin infection affecting the scalp of the baby.
- Body ringworm is a fungal skin infection affecting the body of the baby.
- Nail fungal infection.
- Athlete’s foot is a fungal infection in babies that is rare.
[ Read: Symptoms Of Ringworm In Babies ]
Causes Of Fungal Skin Infection In Babies:
Baby fungal skin infections occur when fungi attack the external layer of the skin on body or scalp. Moist, sweaty, warm, and unclean skin supports the growth of fungi. So it is very important to keep your baby clean and ensure her hygiene to prevent the risk of infections. (1)
Babies catch fungal skin infections or when they come in contact with an infected individual or pet. Your little one can also catch a fungal infection from clothing, combs, toys, and other household objects like carpets.
[ Read: Skin Care For Babies ]
Symptoms Of Fungal Skin Infection In Babies:
What are signs of fungal skin infection in babies? Your baby may have one or more symptoms from the below list when she is suffering from a fungal infection.
- Circular flaky skin patches with red outlines.
- Itchy skin.
- Affected skin is infected and oozes with pus.
- One or more patches on scalp of hair loss.
- Short and broken hair.
- Black spots appear on the affected scalp.
- Scaly patches on head.
- Elevated tender boggy skin.
- Thick and discolored nails.
- Sole develops cracks.
- Sores. (2)
[ Read: Common Baby Skin Allergies ]
Treating Fungal Skin Infection In Babies:
Since fungal infections remain on the external layer of the baby’s skin, you can treat them easily with an antifungal ointment or cream. Here are some effective treatments based on the particular skin area suffering from a fungal infection.
1. Treating Fungal Infection On Baby’s Body:
For a fungal infection on your baby’s body or face, the doctor recommends antifungal cream. Dress your baby in loose clothes made out of cotton. Prevent your baby from scratching the infected area. Scratching may spread the infection to other parts.
2. Treating Fungal Infection On Baby’s Scalp:
If the fungal skin infection affects your baby’s scalp, the doctor may recommend oral antifungal medications. Don’t cover her head with a cap. Expose the affected area to air so that it dries up soon. Prevent her from scratching her head.
3. Treating Fungal Infection Near Diaper Areas:
To treat diaper areas, the pediatrician may recommend cornstarch to maintain the skin dry. Change your baby’s wet diapers frequently. Wipe urine off her skin with cold cream on a small cotton ball. Clean the stool off her skin with mild soap and warm water. Avoid washing the affected area too much as it may aggravate the irritation. (3)
[ Read: Cradle Cap In Babies ]
Preventing Fungal Skin Infections In Babies:
Following certain prevention tips helps prevent the onset of fungal skin infection, which include:
- Fungal infections are contagious and spread from one person to other. So keep you baby away from the infected individuals and pets.
- Don’t share her personal items, such as hats, combs, clothes, and other items, with anyone.
- Make sure you follow good hygiene measures and keep her clean and fresh always.
Did your baby suffer from a fungal skin infection any time? How did you treat it? Share experience with fellow mommies here.
- 5 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Heat Rash In Babies
- Meningitis In Babies/Infants – 13 Symptoms & 2 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- 8 Preventive Measures To Avoid Hay Fever In Babies
- 4 Effective Treatments To Cure Mouth Ulcer In Infants
Latest posts by Manjiri Kochrekar (see all)
- 32 Lovely Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas - June 28, 2017
- 10 Clear Signs That You Need Marriage Counselling - April 28, 2017
- 25 Wonderful Peacock Facts And Information For Kids - October 3, 2016