After conceiving, a woman’s body composition goes through a drastic change, yet normal. It is common to gain those extra pounds during the course of pregnancy. Post-pregnancy, most women would like to shed it off as early as possible. To achieve these weight loss goals, you may want to complement your daily workouts with some herbal supplements such as garcinia cambogia that support weight loss.
But wait! Before you go ahead, pause and check if such supplements are safe during breastfeeding. In this post, MomJunction helps you know about the effects of using garcinia cambogia while nursing.
What is Garcinia Cambogia?
Garcinia cambogia is a plant that belongs to the family of Clusiaceae. The fruit rind of the garcinia plant is mainly used to make medicine or supplements.
Various researches that have been carried out on the plant say that it might prevent the storage of fat in the body. However, there is no concrete evidence to this effect (1).
The fruit rind has hydroxycitric acid (HCA), which inhibits the production of Lyase, an enzyme that aids in the conversion of carbohydrates into fat. Also, regular usage of garcinia may help control or even curb your appetite.
Generally, garcinia and HCA are well tolerated in adults, with occasional reports of gastrointestinal discomfort.
Is Garcinia Cambogia Safe While Breastfeeding?
Medical professionals recommend to avoid the intake of garcinia during breastfeeding. It has no specific lactation-related uses.
Now, you might wonder why this natural supplement with no artificial ingredients, chemicals or binders in it, is not suitable for breastfeeding mothers. Know the reasons.
Reasons To Avoid Garcinia Cambogia During Breastfeeding
For many reasons like the below, it is better to stay away from garcinia cambogia extract during breastfeeding.
1. Affects The Nursing Baby
Ongoing studies claim that a baby may get affected if the nursing mother takes garcinia cambogia. They say that HCA passes on to the little one to show ‘garcinia effects’ such as appetite-loss and high metabolic rate. It may also affect the baby’s blood sugar levels.
2. Unhealthy Interactions In Mother’s Body
- After pregnancy, your body may react differently to supplements. They may interfere with your postpartum medications.
- HCA makes changes to the functioning of the metabolic system and, therefore, affects the nutrient supply. High metabolism is not beneficial for your health and any alteration to the nutrition supply may affect the milk quality.
- Moreover, HCA has an adverse effect on the blood sugar levels of the nursing mothers.
3. Reduces Appetite
Being a weight loss supplement, garcinia reduces appetite, which is not advisable while breastfeeding. In fact, doctors recommend a rich diet during this time as your milk is the only source of nutrients for the little one. If the appetite is lost, lactating mothers will not have enough energy to deal with the changes happening in their bodies while nursing.
4. Lack Of Research
No research support the safety and efficacy of garcinia cambogia in infants and nursing mothers. More medical studies are required to accurately estimate the amount of the herb’s extract that can transfer from mothers to their infants through breast milk. Lack of extensive research on the garcinia concentration levels in the breast milk makes it a supplement to be avoided while breastfeeding. In fact, any natural supplement need to be avoided if there is no enough research.
Considering these possible side-effects and a lack of scientific evidence, it is good to refrain from consuming garcinia cambogia during breastfeeding. Make healthy food choices and exercise to lose weight. If you still want to take it, consult your doctor and select the best garcinia extract on his advice.
1. Should a lactating mother totally avoid weight loss supplements?
A lactating mom is advised to avoid weight loss supplements. It is more important to concentrate on your infant’s health than on your body weight.
2. Does FDA approve dietary supplements?
A nod from the US Food and Drug Administration is not needed for the pre-marketing approval of dietary supplements. Even though manufacturers have to ensure the safety of such supplements, they need not prove their efficacy and safety.
Manufacturers seek the services of independent organizations to verify the product’s ingredients and quality. However, this does not certify their safety, and the supplements require deeper testing. Usually, the ingredients listed or their amounts mentioned on the product’s label do not match with the actual content.
Moms, what methods did you try to lose weight while you were breastfeeding? Tell us your story here. Leave a comment below. Fellow moms would love to hear from you.
- 7 Incredible Health Benefits Of Turmeric While Breastfeeding
- 7 Amazing Health Benefits Of Having Ginger & Ginger Tea While Breastfeeding
- 12 Health Benefits Of Taking Vitamins While You Are Breastfeeding
- Is It Safe To Eat Sushi While You Are Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Drink Almond Milk While Breastfeeding?
Latest posts by Sumana Maheswari (see all)
- Missing Your Pre-Pregnancy Skin Glow? You Can Get It Back! - September 23, 2016
- 30 Educative And Fun Water Animal Facts For Kids - May 31, 2016
- Triple Screening In Pregnancy - Essential Elements, Process And Accuracy - March 31, 2016