Does your baby cry a lot without any obvious reason? Do babies get headaches? Are you worried your baby may be sick but not sure what it could be? Reading this post may help you put your worries at rest and calm your darling too!
Does your baby’s crankiness give you a headache? Well, do you know you are not the only one who is suffering! He may be crying due to a headache too! Baby headache is for real.Want to know more about its causes and symptoms? Read on!
Do Babies Get Headaches?
Yes, it is true that your baby too can suffer from that throbbing pain in the head! The symptoms that he experiences may be a lot different from what you experience.
[ Read: How To Soothe A Crying Baby ]
What Can Cause Headaches In Babies?Sponsored
There are various reasons that can cause a headache in your baby:
1. Any Infection Or Illness:
Your baby may suffer from a host of infections and illnesses during the first few years. Some of the most common ones are cold and cough, flu and ear infections. Some serious infections like meningitis can also cause a headache.
Read: [ Home Remedies For Cold In Babies ]
2. Injury To The Head:
Your baby may have incurred a bump or bruise on the head after a fall that could trigger a headache. Falls and injuries are a part of childhood. However, get in touch with your baby’s doctor immediately if you suspect your baby has hit his head hard or looks dazed.
3. Genetic Conditions:
In some cases, your baby may have a headache if there is a history of similar complaints in your family.
4. Stranger Anxiety And Stress:
Meeting strangers can cause anxiety to your toddler. Headache can be a side effect of the stress your baby feels upon meeting new people.
5. Complications In The Brain:
In rare cases, a brain tumor or a bleeding in the brain can create pressure on certain areas of the brain. It can cause or worsen a headache. In this case, the headache will be characterized by other symptoms like dizziness or difficulty in seeing.
These symptoms are the answer to your throbbing question, can babies get headaches too. Your baby would require all the care to relieve him of the pain.
What Are The Symptoms Of Headaches In Babies?
The symptoms of headache in your baby will depend on the type of headache. Here is a look at the different symptoms and types of headaches:
- Stomach ache
- Sensitivity to light or sound
- Severe Pain that grows worse with any physical activity
- Your baby may constantly cry and hold or point at his head to show discomfort
2. Stress-Related Headache:
- A constant pain
- A pain that affects the sides of the head
3. A Cluster Headache:
- The headache can occur once or up to eight times a day. It can last between 15 minutes and 3 hours.
- A runny nose
- Watery eyes
- Congestion in the nose
[ Read: Watery Eyes In Babies ]
When Should You Call A Doctor?
Headache in babies means you should seek medical attention. Call a doctor in the following situations:
- If the headache is so severe that your baby is unable to sleep.
- If the pain causes a change in your baby’s mood and personality.
- If other symptoms like fever also accompany the pain.
- If you see a noticeable increase in the intensity of the headache.
- If the headache strikes after an injury or a fall.
- If incessant vomiting accompanies a headache.
A headache can be difficult to spot in your baby. What you dismiss as simple crying or irritability could be a sign of discomfort. Make sure you pay attention to the symptoms and speak to your baby’s doctor about it.
Did your baby suffer from frequent headaches? How did you spot it? Do share your experiences here with other moms.
- 9 Serious Symptoms Of Dengue Fever In Infants/Babies
- Cancer In Babies – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- Typhoid In Babies – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017