Who doesn’t want to give a healthy life start to her baby? Some vital inclusions in your prenatal diet are protein, folic acid, iodine, calcium and iron when you are pregnant. Such nutrients are plenty apricot.
Apricots can be a healthy addition to the diet of an expecting mother. However, it is very important that you wash them properly to get rid of parasites and harmful bacteria that results in food borne disease like listerosis and toxoplasmosis according to the American Pregnancy Association and FDA.
Health Benefits Of Eating Apricots During Pregnancy:
Belonging to the Rosaceae family, apricots include plumps, peaches, cherries and almonds. According to research findings around 1 to 2 kernels can be safely consumed on a daily basis. Here we shall look closely at the benefits of apricot during pregnancy:
- Apricots are known to be high in minerals, silicon, phosphorus, potassium, iron and calcium.
- High content of iron, copper and cobalt helps prevent anemia that can result in fatal consequences in pregnancy.
- Pregnant mothers need 300 calories more to meet the requirements of the fetus developing inside. Calorie consumption must be equally distributed to meet the daily dietary requirements.
- Apricots along with vegetables and fruits are rich in retinol.
- These are rich in iron. Pregnant women are advised to consume 30 mg iron on a daily basis to prevent anemia.
[ Read: Raisins During Pregnancy ]
Dried Apricots In Pregnancy:
Apricot has been long used as an herbal medicine during pregnancy. Let us have a detailed look below:
- The bark of the tree is known to treat infertility, spasm and hemorrhage.
- You can cure vaginal infections by applying paste derived from ground kernel.
- The apricot flesh is said to be beneficial during pregnancy and lactation.
- Some research studies suggest avoiding kernels during pregnancy, as it increases the possibility of birth defects.
- Apricots are generally converted to dried fruits that are rich in calcium, folic acid, iron and fiber. The dried fruits can be an excellent choice to assuage food cravings.
[ Read: Eating Dates During Pregnancy ]
Risks Of Consumption Of Apricots During Pregnancy:
While apricots are nutritious no doubt, you need to make sure it is consumed in limits. Excess of nothing is good and you may experience probable side effects when consumed in excess.
- Too much of apricot consumption is said to affect the nervous system and can cause extreme discomfort during pregnancy.
- If you take an unripe apricot fruit, it might cause gastric upset and result in too much of the discomfort.
- Apricots contain sulfur dioxide that causes allergic reactions. So, if you are sensitive to sulfites, stay away from them.
- Apricot tips contain chemical laetrile in concentrated amounts that can upset your system. So, to reap the health benefits, make sure to remove seed tips and limit them to five per day.
- Too much of apricots can make you feel dizzy and you might experience giddiness and headaches as well.
Apricots, that are bitter in taste, contain high levels of amygdalin, a kind of toxin released from glycoside amygdalin in course of digestion. The acids can cause symptoms such as respiratory distress, vomiting, and muscle cramp. High doses can also result in respiratory paralysis in extreme cases.
- As you can infer from the information presented above, apricots are rich in medicinal values. If you eat them occasionally, about 1-3 times a week, it should not pose any issues.
- Pregnancy is the time when you gain weight and you may expect to see an increase in your weight by 11-16 kg. So it is a good idea to practice moderation in consuming not only apricots, but any kind of food!
- To make sure you are safe all the times, seek consent from your health care provider before incorporating them in your daily diet.
Do share with us how you try apricots in different recipes and add a different taste to the dishes.
- Is It Safe To Eat Pears During Pregnancy?
- 7 Amazing Benefits Of Eating Peaches During Pregnancy
- 13 Reasons to Eat More Avocados During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Eat Oranges During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Muskmelon During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by moumita ghosh (see all)
- 8 Effective Tips To Relieve Finger Pain During Pregnancy - November 23, 2015
- Top 5 Camel Crafts For Preschoolers And Young Kids - November 23, 2015
- 4 Interesting Winter Craft Ideas For Your Toddler - January 21, 2015