Is lamb one of your favorite foods? If yes, would you like to know whether is lamb safe during pregnancy?
Lamb, since ages have constituted a major part of the menu among most meat eaters in different parts of the world. However, during pregnancy, you need to be that extra careful for the small life developing inside you and have a word with your doctor before incorporating anything new in your diet.
Health Benefits Of Eating Lamb During Pregnancy:
Apart from being extremely tasty, lamb is also known to be high in nutritional content. Here are some of the health benefits of taking lamb:
- Being a very good source of protein, it contributes to the increased protein requirement in pregnancy. This helps in the growth and development of your fetus.
- Lamb is very rich in iron that keeps up your hemoglobin level. It helps in the formation of red blood cells. Iron contained in lamb gets absorbed in your body easily.
- The high amount of zinc contained in meat helps developing the immune system of your fetus, ensures the overall growth along with cell division.
- Lamb is a rich source of B12 Vitamin that keeps the nervous system healthy, aids the formation of red blood cells and prevents anemia.
- Traces of copper contained in lamb ensure maximum growth of your unborn baby.
[ Read: Meat During Pregnancy ]
Risks Of Eating Lamb During Pregnancy:
No doubt lamb is a rich source of all vital nutrients you need during pregnancy. However, there are several risk factors of taking lamb that cannot be ruled out completely. Here is what you should know about the probable risk factors of taking lamb daily during pregnancy:
- Lamb contains high amount of cholesterol and saturated fats that might result in a significant increase in your blood lipid levels. This is certainly not very desirable in pregnancy.
- Lamb is rich in sodium content and too much of intake can increase your blood pressure level in pregnancy that can lead to unwanted consequences.
- Histamines in lamb may result in allergies in some. Eczema is one of the most common forms of infections. In some cases, you might also suffer from asthma, cough, runny nose and anaphylactic shocks.
- However, if you have the consent of your healthcare provider, you can make yummy dishes of lamb and enjoy them.
[ Read: Steak During Pregnancy ]
Lamb produces high calorie, so when you are pregnant, you need to take it in moderation to avoid discomforts like indigestion. Here are some precautionary measures you can take:
- If you eat lamb, make sure to drink plenty of water.
- Incorporate plenty of vegetables and fruits rich in calcium along with lamb to increase nutrition for your unborn baby.
- While lamb is good, Mongolian Boiled Lamb is the best.
- While cooking lamb you must follow the recommended temperature and time guidelines. This will ensure you have cooked the meat to the safe minimal internal temperature. You can prevent most of the food borne diseases following the cooking guidelines.
- Using a meat thermometer is a good way to ensure the meat is not under cooked.
[ Read: Can I Eat Turkey While Pregnant ]
A healthy pregnancy diet is all about the right balance of vitamins, fiber, minerals, proteins and fats. The key is moderation. There is no need to worry if you have taken your favorite lamb more than the suggested amount one day. Avoid taking it the next day. If you have any eating disorder, bring it up in your next visit to the doctor. A professional shall help design the best diet for you.
Mommies do share interesting lamb recipes you prepared during pregnancy and let the other expecting mothers try them out!
- Is It Safe To Consume Seafood During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Consume Oysters During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Liver During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Consume Meat During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by moumita ghosh (see all)
- 8 Effective Tips To Relieve Finger Pain During Pregnancy - November 23, 2015
- Top 5 Camel Crafts For Preschoolers And Young Kids - November 23, 2015
- 4 Interesting Winter Craft Ideas For Your Toddler - January 21, 2015