Table Of Contents:
- Is It Safe To Eat Custard Apple During Pregnancy
- Benefits Of Custard Apple During Pregnancy
- Nutritional Values Of Custard Apple Fruit During Pregnancy
- Are There Any Side Effects Of Custard Apple During Pregnancy
- How To Eat A Custard Apple
- Custard Apple Recipes
Nine months is ample time to taste all the seasonal fruits. When you are pregnant you can eat mangoes in summer, berries and plums in rainy, and apples, pears, grapes and more in winter. Custard apple is one such seasonal fruit, which you wouldn’t want to miss. Yes, the seeds are a little annoying, but it is worth the pain as the fruit is highly nutritious for both the mother and her unborn baby.
Originated in South America with the name cherimoya, it is known as sitaphal in India and is also called sugar apple and sharifa.
Why It Is Safe To Eat Custard Apple During Pregnancy:Sponsored
Custard apple is rich in nutrients and calories. Also, the natural sugars in them help underweight pregnant women gain weight. It lowers the risk of abortion. You will also find it palatable when you develop a distaste for others foods, a common tendency during pregnancy.
10 Benefits Of Custard Apple During Pregnancy:
The fruit is sweet, tasty, and is safe to eat during pregnancy. What could be the other benefits?
1. Vitamins help in building fetal nerves and more:
A custard apple contains abundant amounts of vitamins A and C (1), which are essential for fetus development. Regular consumption of the fruit builds the fetal nerves, brain, and immune system. Also, as we all know, vitamin A is vital for good eye vision, skin and hair, while vitamin C fights off the free radicals in the body.
2. Reduces that agonizing labor pain:
Though not scientifically proven, traditional treatments believe that custard apple helps in reducing the pain during labor. It also minimizes the risk of miscarriage.
3. Be free of preemie fear:
The daily requirement of copper during pregnancy is 100 milligrams, and custard apple is a rich source of this mineral. Copper has an exceptional property of improving the hemoglobin levels and thereby preventing premature labor. Moreover, it helps in the healthy development of skin, tendons and blood vessels in the fetus.
4. No constipation troubles for you:
The high fiber content in custard apple eases the bowel movements and lowers the chances of constipation and related problems.
5. Treats morning sickness:
An excellent source of vitamin B6, custard apple helps you avoid morning sickness. Studies reveal that vitamin B6 aids in alleviating nausea (2).
6. Detoxifies the body:
The antioxidant nature of the fruit helps in removing the toxins from your body. It also deals with mood swings and numbness, which are common in pregnancy.
7. Escape from that toothache:
It is quite common for you to suffer from dental problems such as a toothache or gum inflammation during pregnancy. Custard apple can relieve you of them.
8. Relaxes your muscles:
Magnesium is an essential element during pregnancy as it protects you from cardiac problems and aids in muscle relaxation.
9. Controls diarrhea and dysentery:
The fruit is a natural cure for diarrhea and dysentery. It is an excellent coolant, stimulant, and expectorant properties.
[ Read: Diarrhea During Pregnancy ]
10. Apply that paste on your skin:
Nutritional Values Of Eating Custard Apple During Pregnancy:
Custard apple is the best source of all vitamins, minerals, proteins, fiber as well as energy. The different nutrients that you get from custard apple are vitamin C, vitamin A, magnesium, potassium, copper (3).
100 grams of sugar apple provides you with the following nutrition:
- Ascorbic Acid – 15mg
- Calcium – 17.6mg
- Calories – 80-101
- Carbohydrate – 20g
- Carotene – 0.007mg
- Fat – 0.5g
- Fiber – 0.9g
- Iron – 0.42mg
- Niacin – 0.528mg
- Nicotinic Acid – 0.5mg
- Phosphorus – 14.7mg
- Protein – 68g
- Riboflavin – 0.086mg
- Thiamine – 0.075 mg
[ Read: Healthy Recipes For Pregnant Women ]
Sometimes, Custard Apple Can Be Harmful During Pregnancy:
Make a note of the conditions under which the fruit can be harmful to you. Prevent those situations and enjoy the fruit.
- Unripe fruit can irritate your stomach leading to digestion problems. So you should consume only a fully grown, soft and plump custard apple.
- Do not consume seeds as they could prove to be dangerous.
- If you have gestational diabetes, avoid taking the fruit as it is high in sugars.
How Do You Eat A Custard Apple?
Know the right technique to remove the pulp, and eating the fruit becomes easy.
- Pull apart the fruit using your hands or cut it half.
- Take a spoon and scoop out the flesh.
- Sometimes the flesh closest to the skin and the central spine may taste a little bitter. You may avoid these portions.
Selecting the best fruit: Ripe custard apples have pale green skin. They are juicy, sweet and give aromatic flavor. You can also buy darker green fruits and store them at room temperature to ripen.
You may eat custard apple in a variety of ways during pregnancy.
- Just add a little lime juice for a complementary flavor.
- Make it as a dessert.
- Prepare a smoothie, milkshake or add to ice creams.
- Add some honey, if you have a sweet tooth.
A Few Simple Recipes With Custard Apple:
1. Custard apple milkshake:
You will need:
- Custard apple – 3 medium
- Milk – 4 cups
- Sugar – 3tsp
- Fresh cream – 2tbsp
- Ice cubes – As required
- Extract the pulp from custard apples, and remove seeds.
- Blend the pulp, milk, cream, sugar and ice cubes until you get a smooth consistency.
2. Custard apple ice cream:
You will need:
- Custard apple – 3 to 4 cups pulp
- Milk – 2 cups
- Milk powder – 1 cup
- Powdered sugar – 1/3 cup
- Fresh cream – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Mix milk, milk powder, sugar powder, fresh cream, and vanilla essence in a large bowl, and stir well until the sugar dissolves.
- Add custard apple pulp and mix again.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow container, cover and freeze until it is set.
- Blend the mixture until you get a smooth consistency.
- Put the mixture again in the shallow container, cover, and freeze.
- Eat it either plain or top it with dry fruits.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can you eat the seeds of a custard apple?
Swallowing a seed or two will not harm you in any way as your body flushes them out in stool. In general, custard apple seeds have abortifacient properties and are therefore mildly toxic.
2. Can you eat custard apple during periods?
Custard apple is good to eat during menstruation. A decoction made from its leaves promote healthy blood flow during periods.
3. Can you eat custard apple if you have gestational diabetes?
Custard apple is rich in sugars, and can only be taken in limited amounts when diabetes is under control. However, one should avoid its juice as it can aggravate the blood sugar levels.
4. Can you eat custard apple during a cold?
Custard apple is a cooling fruit. However, it does not mean it causes cold but it could aggravate the condition.
Eat fresh and ripe custard apples, which are tasty and healthy. You can also replace a dessert with this fruit, to gain maximum benefits from your diet. However, just like any other food, limit the consumption of the fruit to avoid any side-effects.
Have some favorite recipes with custard apple? Share them with us. We would love to hear from you.
- Amazing Benefits Of Kiwi Fruits During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Eat Banana During Pregnancy?
- Health Benefits Of Eating Green Apples During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Eat Muskmelon During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Rebecca Malachi (see all)
- NIPT: When Is The Test Done And What Are Its Benefits? - March 13, 2018
- Food Cravings During Pregnancy And What Do They Indicate - July 20, 2017
- 18 Things You Should Do While Preparing For Pregnancy - June 30, 2017