Raisins are good sources of carbohydrates and iron that offer plenty of health benefits to your baby. These can be a healthy alternative to chocolates and candies. Only the best and the sweetest grapes are dried to form raisins.
However, you should be careful of the choking hazards that come with the small sized raisins. Since babies have the tendency of putting everything in their mouth, make sure to seek recommendations from your doctor.
Recommended Age For Babies To Consume Raisins:
Raisins are a store-house of nutrients and if you really want your baby to benefit from this dried fruit, make sure to keep in mind the recommendations from your doctor. Here are some points to remember for what age can babies have raisins:
- You should not give raisins until your baby is at least 7 to 9 months old.
- You will know that he is ready for raisins when he starts grabbing the spoon when you feed him.
- The back or the molar teeth generally appear after one-and-a-half years.
- Babies with physical problems and developmental delays find it difficult to swallow or chew. You should not offer raisin for baby in this case.
[ Read: Breakfast Recipes For Babies ]
Adverse Health Issues You Should Be Careful Of:
Raisins are sugary and chewy, which gives rise to certain adverse health effects. Take a look:
- Raisins tend to stick to the teeth and give rise to formation of bacteria. This in the long run can also affect the enamel.
- It is suggested that raisins be given as part of the main meal. This will help other foods to dislodge raisin from the teeth.
- You must not offer raisins to him during bed time as it increases choking hazards.
- Develop a brushing habit before bed time to ensure all residues of raisins are brushed off.
- Do not feed raisins if you are in a moving car, as he might start choking. Remember, small babies do not make choking sounds and you may not be aware of the whole thing.
- See to it that he is not putting more than a single raisin at a time. Make him sit in a place and offer raisins one by one.
[ Read: Spinach For Babies ]
Health Benefits Of Raisins For Babies:
True that raisins for too young babies have choking hazards, but this does not devoid them of the nutritional values:
- Raisins are rich in minerals like potassium, phosphorus, iron, calcium and magnesium that help in mental and physical development of your baby.
- Raisins reduce chances of acidosis by reducing the acidic levels in his body. This helps in ensuring good health.
- Raisins are natural laxatives that help dealing with constipation. Regular intake of raisins helps improve bowel movements and enhances the digestive system of your baby. You can offer raisins by boiling them in water and then crushing them to make a smooth paste.
- Raisins are helpful during fevers. Just like dates, these can act as a tonic in fevers.
- Raisins are extremely beneficial in treating brain injuries. These dry fruits help protect the central nervous system. Apart from this, raisins are also helpful for boosting memory.
- Raisins contain antimicrobial properties.
[ Read: Buckwheat For Babies ]
Tips For You Mommies:
Raisins are also high in sugar content and thus it is better to avoid excessive consumption of this dried fruit to avoid tooth decays.
- It is better to avoid juice of raisins, as it increases the chances of cavities. You can offer the juices in extreme conditions such as fever.
- Crushing them into small pieces is the best way to make eating raisins easier for your baby.
- Apart from this, you can also use raisins in brewing, cooking and baking.
[ Read: Grapefruit For Babies ]
Moms share with us if you have any other benefits of raisins for babies. You can also share when was the first time you started giving raisins to your baby in the comment section below.
- 2 Easy And Quick Peas Recipes For Your Baby
- 3 Yummy Beet Recipes For Your Baby
- 6 Health Benefits Of Barley For Your Baby
- 3 Amazing Benefits Of Arrowroot For Your Baby
Latest posts by moumita ghosh (see all)
- 8 Effective Tips To Relieve Finger Pain During Pregnancy - November 23, 2015
- Top 5 Camel Crafts For Preschoolers And Young Kids - November 23, 2015
- 4 Interesting Winter Craft Ideas For Your Toddler - January 21, 2015