“Having children makes you no more a parent than having a piano makes you a pianist.” – Michael Levine
The moment you are born into this world, you form several relations. Of these relations, the one that probably is long lasting and holds the most importance is the one you share with your parents.
Psychologists refer to this parent-child relation as attachment. It is one of the most heartfelt and sincere relations you build in your life. The profound love and bond between parents and children is built over years. It becomes our very first introduction to intimacy, love, security and even trust.
Once you become a parent, you carry on this relationship with your child too.
Why Is Positive Parent Child Relationship Important?
It is a well-known fact that warm-loving parents create equally warm and loving children. Through this relationship, your children would learn things about life initially.
- Your attachment with your child can be called the predictor of how well your child will do in future.
- It even affects the strength of his future social, physical, mental and emotional health.
- Parent-child relationship serves as a foundation where subsequent social relationships are built.
- This explains the significance of building a healthy relation with your child right from infancy.
It has been found that young people, who grow in and around secure attachment, stand a much better chance of developing happy and content relationships with others in their life.
[ Read: How To Deal With Emotional Child ]
Your child must feel secure with you around. A secured child parent relationship is important because:
- It helps regulate your child’s emotions when under stress and difficult situations.
- It boosts self-esteem and helps him discover his environment with lot more self-belief and confidence.
- Promotes your child’s mental, linguistic and emotional development.
- It helps your child exhibit optimistic and confident social behaviors.
- Helps him understand and build up positive relations in future.
5 Tips To Strengthen Good Parent Child Relationship:
A child who feels insecure due to lack of attachment from parents is at an increasing risk of depression, aggression, and even emotional deregulation. So for that here are our simple tips for you to strengthen the bond between you and your child:
1. Always Express Yourself:
It is very important for you to tell your child how you feel about him.
- Express yourself, say I love you often. Express love day in day out.
- If you disagree on something, sit and discuss what exactly you didn’t like and why.
- When you express yourself, nothing is left unsaid, leaving you both on the same page. This goes a long way in building a strong relationship.
[ Read: Social Anxiety In Children ]
2. Let Your Child Be Inquisitive:
Tell your child what you believe in and explain why.
- Let him ask you questions. Answer all questions with patience.
- Remember, you are building the foundation of your child’s future belief and faith. So always be ready to nurture the queries.
- It will help him form his own opinion and views later.
3. Let Your Child Help:
When you let your child help, you are not only teaching him to be responsible, but also getting closer.
- Ask for his opinion on what to wear while going out and be ready to opt for what they suggest.
- When you take his suggestions seriously, he gets your respect too and feels good.
4. Play With Your Child:
Play time is the best bonding time.
- It is a good way of getting to know each other and brings you closer.
- It can always be a great way of teaching your child about winning and losing.
- Get silly with your child and show them your side that he doesn’t often get to see.
[ Read: Family Activities ]
5. Always Eat Together:
Meal time should always be family time.
- Let it be the place for discussion and sharing stuff.
- You can spend some quality time at your meals.
- Dinner table is the most common place for family talks.
[ Read: Healthy Eating Habits For Children ]
Bonding Over The Weekend:
With the increasing number of working parents, spending quality time with kids is becoming a rare luxury. Do not let this affect your relation and equation with your baby. Ensure you make up for this lost time over the weekends.
Here are 3 great weekends bonding ideas for building up relationship between parent and child:
1. Find an activity that you both enjoy and can do together. It could be a simple craft-making session or even a dance lesson. The idea is to engage in some activity together while enjoying each other’s company. This way you utilize the weekend in doing something constructive while staying close and enjoying with your baby.
2. If your child is in pre or early teen grownup, you two can even hit the spa together. What can be better than relaxing together with your child! Alternately, you can arrange for a DIY thing at home. Pamper your child and give them the much needed foot scrub and spa.
3. Cook together. We know you dread the very idea of cooking over the weekends. But this activity can really be a stress buster when you decide to do it with your kids. Try and figure out an easy recipe and enjoy making it.
Warmth Is Important:
As soon as your baby is born, you start showering him/her with love, care and warmth. All the baby talk and touch that you indulge in with your little one goes a long way in creating a special bond with your child. As your baby grows, these little things make him know that you can be relied upon for everything.
As your child grows, he/she starts finding warmth in your bond and learns to respond to everything you do. The more you fulfill your darling’s emotional needs, the closer you get. This warmth in your relation will make him a cooperative child and help him develop emotionally and socially.
Parenting is best done together. Both you and your partner must go hand in hand in building a strong bond with your children. Together, you can help your child pick up different spectrum of skills. These are important for your child’s overall development.
[ Read: How To Build Confidence In Kids ]
A Piece Of Advice:
The relation that your form with your child is actually the foundation upon which he will later define himself. This is going to help him develop and sustain more meaningful and close relationships in his life.
- The love and care that you offer to your child determines your equation with him not just now, but for years to come.
- Be very careful and patient. You are not just raising your child; you are raising your next generation.
Tell us why you think parent-child relation is important. What do you do to strengthen this bond? Write in to us and tell us about your tips and advice on parent-child relation.
Reference : 1
- 9 Ways To Help Your Child And You Deal With Separation Anxiety
- 10 Tips To Help Your Child Effectively Manage Stress
- Top 10 Parenting Problems And Solutions
- 4 Simple Things Parents Can Do For A Child’s Development
- 10 Parenting Styles You Should Be Aware Of
Latest posts by Akruti (see all)
- Bacterial And Fungal Infections In Children - March 2, 2017
- 8 Effective Natural Remedies To Cure Mosquito Bites In Babies - July 23, 2015
- 4 Unexpected Symptoms Of Colon Cancer In Teens - July 20, 2015