Do you love having your hot cup of herbal tea each morning? Or are you a new mother and want to switch to drinking a healthy beverage while you are breastfeeding your baby? Well, if you can relate to the above situations reading this post is a good idea.
Herbal tea is an integral part of a detox diet. But is it safe to drink herbal tea while breastfeeding? Read on to unearth the truth.
Is It Safe To Drink Herbal Teas While Breastfeeding?
While you are breastfeeding, it is important to know what you eat or drink is safe for your baby or not. Your diet during lactation directly affects your health and your baby’s development. While most people believe that herbal tea helps purify the blood and increase the production of breast milk, medical research is yet to prove the exact health benefits it offers . The general opinion is that it is better to avoid drinking herbal tea while you are breastfeeding your little one. In case you do wish to have some, make sure you first speak to a licensed herbal practitioner, a lactation consultant or your medical practitioner.
Just like any other food you consume, herbal tea too can enter your blood stream and permeate your breast milk. As the Food and Drug Administration does not regulate herbal teas, there is no guarantee of their purity, safety or strength. Therefore, drinking herbal tea while you are still breastfeeding may not be a safe bet. Drinking herbal tea while you are still breastfeeding may even adversely affect the quantity and quality of your breast milk. Some studies say that consuming herbal tea in moderation may not cause any health problems. However, excessive consumption of herbal tea may have a negative impact on your health and your baby’s growth. So, it’s all quite confusing. Speak to your doctor about consuming herbal tea during lactation.
[ Read: Is Green Tea Safe While Breastfeeding ]
Herbal Teas That May Increase Breast Milk Production:
The following herbal teas may increase your breast milk production:
- Fenugreek Tea – avoid drinking it if you are a diabetic.
- Fennel Tea –works like your milk producing hormones and is an herbal way to increase breast milk. It is also helpful in relieving gas.
- Blessed Thistle Tea –it increases breast milk supply and also helps to fight postpartum depression.
- Alfalfa –it is loaded with vitamins and minerals and helps increase breast milk.
- Goat’s Rue –it increases the breast milk production and stimulates milk flow as well.
- Raspberry Leaf –in addition to increasing breast milk supply, it will also help your uterus recover after delivery.
- Stinging Nettle – it is loaded with vitamins and minerals that also aid in increasing breast milk supply.
[ Read: Coffee While Breastfeeding ]
Herbal Teas That May Decrease Breast Milk Production:
Here are some herbal teas you should steer clear from while you are still breastfeeding your baby as it may reduce your lactation:
- Sage Tea
- Peppermint Tea
- Oregano Tea
[ Read: Foods To Avoid While Breastfeeding ]
Herbal Teas That May Harm The Baby And Mother:
The intake of the following herbal tea may prove dangerous for the mother and baby:
- Ginseng tea
- Star anise tea
- Rhubarb root tea
- Aloe Tea
[ Read: Foods To Increase Breast Milk ]
Things To Remember:
If you do wish to go ahead and have herbal tea while you are still breastfeeding, make sure to take care of the following:
- Speak to your doctor before you try drinking any herbal tea.
- Check that the herbal tea is caffeine-free. Some herbal teas do contain caffeine and are avoidable while breastfeeding.
- Read the ingredients of the herbal tea before buying a packet from the supermarket to check for any potent food allergens.
Did you have any herbal tea while you were breastfeeding? How did it benefit you? Do share your experience and advice with other moms here.
- Is It Safe To Eat Spicy Food During Breastfeeding?
- 5 Serious Side Effects Of Caffeine While Breast-Feeding
- Is It Safe For A Breastfeeding Mom To Eat Honey?
- Is It Safe To Consume Colic Foods During Breastfeeding?
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017