Does your baby get cranky often? Do you notice a bluish tinge on his skin? Well, if you can relate your baby to the above situations it’s time to give high blood pressure a thought!
Babies are stress busters and bonding with them can help you forget your office worries! But do you know that these little bundles of joy can suffer from hypertension too? Alarming? Yes! Impossible? Unfortunately, no. High blood pressure in babies can be one of the worst nightmares for parents, but diffidence will not help the situation. Go ahead and give this post a read to know all about the causes, symptoms and treatment for high blood pressure in infants.
What Is Blood Pressure?
Blood pressure is the strain that your blood puts on the walls of the blood vessels especially the arteries each time your heart pumps it. Blood pressure rises when our heart pumps and pushes blood into the blood vessels. It reduces when your heart muscles relax.
How To Measure Blood Pressure?
You must know how to read blood pressure, in order to measure it.
- The higher number represents systolic pressure.
- The lower number represents diastolic pressure.
When measuring your baby’s blood pressure, always measure it thrice. Your baby might be nervous the first time, and hence the reading may be wrong. The blood pressure reading of a new born is 64/41. The average blood pressure of children between the age of one month and two years is 95/58. Slight variations in the readings are normal and not a reason to hit the panic button.
Causes Of High Blood Pressure In Babies: (1)
Here are some of the potential causes of hypertension in babies:
1. High blood pressure in babies may be due to congenital diseases like – Coarctation of the aorta, Patent ductus arteriosus, Bronchopulmonary dysplasia, and Renal artery stenosis.
2. Family history of hypertension.
3. Side effects of medications can increase the blood pressure levels of your baby.
4. Thyroid problems too may lead to hypertension.
5. Tumors too can cause high blood pressure in babies.
Symptoms Of High Blood Pressure In Babies:
Your baby may not display any symptom of hypertension. However, the symptoms related to the cause of high blood pressure may be conspicuous in the following ways:
1. Bluish color of the skin
2. Shortness of breath
3. Slow growth and difficult weight gain.
4. Regular episodes of urinary tract infections
[ Read: Bacterial Infection In Babies ]
The following symptoms accompany a case of very high blood pressure in babies:
9. Difficulty in breathing
[ Read: Symptoms Of Lead Poisoning In Babies ]
Treatment For Hypertension In Babies:
The doctor may advise the following tests for identifying the cause:
• Blood and urine tests
• X-ray of the chest and abdomen
• MRI Scan
• Ultrasound of the kidneys
The treatment for high blood pressure will depend on its cause and may include:
As a parent, it is natural to panic if your little one is suffering from any serious health complication. However, it is advisable to remain calm and seek the best medical treatment for your baby so that he can lead a normal life soon.
Hope this article helped you understand about hypertension in infants better. Remember, it is important to monitor your baby’s blood pressure regularly, to note the reading and maintain a record for ready reference.
Although we understand that hypertension in babies is a sensitive and critical health issue but we would appreciate if you could share your experience with us.
- High Blood Pressure In Babies – 5 Causes & 9 Symptoms You Should Be Aware Of
- Eclampsia During Pregnancy – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
- Kidney Reflux In Babies – Everything You Need To Know
- Cancer In Babies – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
Latest posts by Akruti (see all)
- Bacterial And Fungal Infections In Children - March 2, 2017
- 8 Effective Natural Remedies To Cure Mosquito Bites In Babies - July 23, 2015
- When Should You Book Your First Antenatal Appointment? - July 20, 2015