Do you suffer from headaches during pregnancy? Does that headache stop you from doing anything useful? Well, if it does, or you are simply looking for simple home remedies for headaches while pregnant, read this post.
Your body experiences many changes during pregnancy. The hormonal and physical changes can sometimes trigger headaches. You want to avoid taking medications at this stage to protect the baby in your womb, so the only option is to use home remedies or prevention techniques. How can you do this? Read this post to find out more about headaches during pregnancy. Learn how to use home remedies and simple therapy to rid you of these unannounced guests when you are pregnant.
What Causes Headaches During Pregnancy?
There can be several causes of headaches during pregnancy:
- Hormonal and blood volume changes
- Caffeine withdrawal
- Limited or disturbed sleep
- Changes in blood pressure
- Hunger or irregular meals
- Sinus congestion
- Food allergies
Signs And Symptoms:Sponsored
The first trimester is a time when your headaches could get worse, but they ease up during the last six months (1). If you suffer from health problems, you will be more prone to headaches. Observe the signs and symptoms of your headache. If your symptoms are severe, you should get immediate medical attention. The symptoms usually include:
- Throbbing pain on one side of your head
- Dull general ache, nausea, sensitivity to sound, smells, and light
- Blurred vision
- Any additional body pain
- Severe and persistent headache
- Swelling in hands and feet
- Fluid retention
Try Home Remedies For Headaches While Pregnant:
Headaches during pregnancy can worry you. You don’t want to take any medications that might affect fetal development. Use harmless home remedies that won’t cause any side effects. Consider using one of the home remedies for headache during pregnancy:
1. Try steam inhalation.
2. Use a humidifier to increase moisture in the air.
3. Rest in a peaceful and quiet area.
4. Apply a hot or cold compresses to the painful area on your head or the base of your neck (use a frozen bag of peas for a cold compress or a damp towel soaked in warm water).
5. Get a gentle shoulder and head massage.
6. Have a warm bath.
7. Eat several small meals during the day.
8. Get plenty of sleep.
9. Try relaxation techniques such as meditation and positive visualization.
10. Drink warm milk with honey.
11. Drink herbal teas.
12. Sprinkle a few drops of aromatherapy oils (lavender or peppermint) on a tissue and inhale from time to time.
13. Get a reflexology massage
Prevent Headache Triggers:
It is always easier to prevent than cure. The best way to prevent headaches during pregnancy is to block the triggers that set off headaches. Manage and decrease stress through relaxation techniques.
1. Get a gentle massage.
2. Listen to soothing melodious music.
3. Watch an entertaining television show.
4. Engage in a relaxing hobby and relieve stress.
5. Eat a well-balanced diet, which includes all the nutritious food groups.
6. Have small meals if large meals make you feel nauseous. Regular meals keep you full and prevent hunger from causing headaches.
7. Get gentle and regular exercise that will make you fit and ease stress.
8. Avoid caffeine, as coffee withdrawals, can also trigger headaches.
9. Make sure you have plenty of water throughout the day to keep you well hydrated.
10. Rest and sleep well.
11. Observe and avoid foods that trigger a headache.
12. Maintain a food diary and record what you eat to know what triggers your headaches.
Headaches during pregnancy can be worrying, so it is best to consult your doctor to know more about headaches. Tell us about your experience with headaches. Share any additional tips or alternative home remedies for headaches during pregnancy with other moms. Leave your comment below.
- High Cholesterol During Pregnancy – Every Thing You Need To Know
- 8 Serious Causes Of Chest Pain During Pregnancy
- 8 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Constipation During Pregnancy
- 5 Easy Tips To Prevent Neck Pain Naturally During Pregnancy
Latest posts by charushila (see all)
- 13 Effective Home Remedies To Cure Headache During Pregnancy - April 8, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Instant Noodles During Pregnancy? - July 15, 2014