Are you looking forward to the joys of motherhood? Are you aware that certain infections may derail your plans to start a family?
Yeast infection is one health issue that plagues most women. Do you want to know can yeast infection affect fertility? Fret not! The article gives you all the information related to yeast infection and fertility. To know more, go ahead and read!
What Is A Yeast Infection?
Candida or thrush are other names for yeast infection, which affects many people, particularly women. The infection occurs due to Candida Albicans, a fungus that occurs in areas that have skin folds such as the tongue and the vagina. It can also affect the body of individuals who are obese and overweight.
What Are The Symptoms Of A Yeast Infection?
For around 50% of women, the candida fungus forms the normal flora of the vagina.Therefore, it is a tad difficult to diagnose yeast infections. However, there are certain common symptoms which may indicate a possible infection. Here are a few signs you should watch out for:
- Mild to severe itching around the vagina
- Burning sensation during urination
- Burning sensation after a sexual intercourse
- Swelling, irritation, redness, and fissures in the vulva.
- Thick white discharge
- Yeast-like odour from the discharge
Do Yeast Infections Affect Fertility?
A yeast infection can seem scary, especially if you’re trying to start a family. For now, there is no significant evidence to suggest that yeast infections can ruin your shot at motherhood.
If you are suffering from frequent yeast infections, it may not directly affect your fertility but it will take a toll on your sex life for sure. It will make you feel uncomfortable during sex. You may not want to engage in intercourse at all due to the itching and soreness.
Frequent infections could affect the pH balance of the vagina. It can make it difficult for the sperm to reach the uterus.
What Is The Treatment For A Yeast Infection?
Don’t panic after reading about a yeast infection. You can easily treat it by using a medicated cream. If you are not pregnant as yet, your doctor may suggest certain oral medications such as fluconazole or itraconazole. These medications control the fungal growth and tackle the infection within a week.
[ Read: Effect Of Diabetes On Fertility ]
How To Prevent Yeast Infections?
Following some simple steps can help you keep yeast infections at bay. Here are some handy tips:
- Avoid wearing clothes that trap moisture. Stick to cotton and other light fabrics that allow the air to pass through.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes.Ill-fitting undergarments tend to create a conducive environment for the fungus to breed.
- Stay away from perfumed baths and shower gels and soaps, especially if you have frequent yeast infections. These tend to cause changes in the pH levels of your vagina, which could increase the risk of the infection.
- Avoid sexual intercourse if your partner is suffering from a yeast infection. The fungus transmits through contact. Therefore, rein in your carnal desires for now.
- Avoid repeatedly using antibiotic medications without consulting the doctor.
- Stick to a healthy diet and reduce your consumption of sugar.
- Avoid using birth control pills.
- Abstain from indulging in oral sex.
[ Read: Smoking Effect On Fertility ]
- Stay away from public swimming pools and hot tubs.
- Consume more of probiotic yogurt and foods.
- Ask your doctor about garlic supplements to strengthen your immunity and build resistance against yeast infections.
Did this article help you understand more about yeast infections and fertility? Let us know by dropping a comment below.
- 7 Serious Causes Of Bladder Infections During Pregnancy
- 8 Infections You Should Be Aware Of During Pregnancy
- What Is Bacterial Infection And What Are Its Effects On/During Pregnancy?
- Lupus And Pregnancy – 7 Serious Risks And Complications
Latest posts by Enozia Vakil (see all)
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis In Children - 7 Symptoms & 4 Remedies - January 16, 2017
- Canker Sores In Children - Causes, Treatment And Remedies - January 12, 2017
- 8 Helpful Language Development Tips For Children - July 30, 2015