Have you heard about the goodness of Aloe Vera? Is it safe to take aloe vera during pregnancy?
When it comes to improving skin health, there’s probably nothing more potent than Aloe Vera. According to naturopathy, the juice of Aloe Vera can miraculously heal many health conditions. But the question remains, can Aloe Vera be safely consumed during pregnancy? Keep reading to find out all about it.
Common Uses Of Aloe Vera Gel During Pregnancy:
The Aloe-Vera gel is a leaf extract, which has many soothing and cooling properties. What’s more, you can also ingest the juice or the gel of the Aloe Vera plant as it has many health benefits. Here is how it can work wonders for your body:
- It is the best natural remedy for acne prone skin. The gel has many antibacterial properties, which play a huge role in preventing skin infections.
- The use of this plant dates back to 3500 years ago, and its consumption is still popular today as a natural laxative agent.
- The Aloe Vera gel is an effective cure for disorders like epilepsy, asthma, diabetes and constipation.
- Aloe Vera gel is a must-have for people suffering from Type 2 diabetes, as it can help regulate blood sugar levels.
- Topical application of the gel can help combat sunburns and itching. It can also reduce the growth of bacteria on sensitive skin.
- It helps control heartburn and prevents the formation of stomach ulcers.
- According to Safe Alternative Medicine, Aloe Vera also contains certain compounds that could boost immunity.
Dosage Of Aloe Vera:
It is important to take your doctor’s advice before you take Aloe Vera for medicinal purposes. While Aloe Vera is natural, it does have certain compounds that could be unsuitable for some.
It is also important to stick to the dosage your doctor recommends. Remember, an overdose of anything, even natural foods, is harmful. Typically, it is safe to consume 0.04 to 0.17 grams of dried Aloe Vera as a natural laxative agent.
Children under 18 years of age should not consume Aloe Vera, as it can lower blood glucose levels significantly. A regular intake of Aloe Vera extracts for a week can create a sort of dependency on it, which is why, it is best to avoid it.
[ Read: Is Ginger Ale Good During Pregnancy ]
Is Aloe Vera Juice Safe During Pregnancy?
According to the American Pregnancy Association, pregnant women should consider avoiding the consumption of Aloe Vera juice. The fact that it increases the risk of uterine contractions can adversely affect pregnancy. As consumption of Aloe Vera juice during pregnancy lowers blood glucose levels, it can prove potentially dangerous for both the mother and the baby.
Any laxative products that contain Aloe Vera extracts can reduce electrolyte levels, and hence, are unsafe for consumption during pregnancy(1). However, some preliminary studies suggest that small doses of Aloe Vera are safe for consumption during pregnancy. But, further research to confirm these facts is the need of the hour.
Breastfeeding mothers must keep in mind that Aloe Vera extracts do pass through breast milk. Its powerful laxative action can harm the baby’s digestive system and cause diarrhea and vomiting.
[ Read: Is Tulsi Safe During Pregnancy ]
Unless your physician recommends the consumption of Aloe Vera juice while pregnant, it is best to avoid using it during this critical stage.
We hope this article was informative and helped you understand more about the use of Aloe Vera during pregnancy. Do leave your valuable suggestions in the comments box below. If you know more therapeutic properties of Aloe Vera, please share it with us. Also, tell us your experience if you have used the plant extract during your pregnancy.
- Top 10 Herbal Teas To Drink During Pregnancy
- 5 Essential Benefits Of Raspberry Leaf Tea During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Drink Green Tea During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Drink Hot Water During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Enozia Vakil (see all)
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis In Children - 7 Symptoms & 4 Remedies - January 16, 2017
- Canker Sores In Children - Causes, Treatment And Remedies - January 12, 2017
- 8 Helpful Language Development Tips For Children - July 30, 2015