Antidepressant medications are often prescribed to individuals who have been undergoing chronic stress and depression that is not responding to other measures or treatment options.
Long term use of these medications is linked to several health conditions, and if you’re pregnant, you may be even more concerned about how you’re supposed to proceed with using zoloft during pregnancy.
Zoloft And Pregnancy:
Zoloft is a common antidepressant prescribed as a treatment for severe depression. It is thought to help relieve symptoms associated with the condition and helps you get into a better frame of mind. But is Zoloft safe during pregnancy? Let’s find out.
Pregnancy And Depression:
It was earlier believed that the hormonal changes occurring during pregnancy help prevent depression in women, but recent researchers have found that this is not true.
- In fact, it is also speculated that a few body changes during pregnancy may put women at a higher risk of being depressed.
- It takes no brain surgeon to figure out that depression, similar to stress, tends to have a negative impact on both the mind and the body.
[ Read: Depression During Pregnancy ]
Untreated depression during pregnancy is liked to several concerning health conditions for the baby, some of which include the following.
- Premature birth
- Low birth weight
[ Read: Causes Of Low Birth Weight ]
- Sleep disturbances following birth
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Constant crying
- Poor feeding
Antidepressant Use During Pregnancy:
While antidepressant medications do help reduce the risk of negative impacts of depression on your baby, they bring along with them some other health risks as well.
- If you’ve been using these medications for a long time and are now pregnant, you may need to speak to your doctor about the doses or change in medications if any.
- According to Dr. Beatriz Currier, an associate professor of behavioral sciences and psychiatry, women suffering from mild form of depression are usually put through cognitive behavioral therapy as the first course of treatment.
- In case of moderate and severe depression, antidepressant medications and therapies are required to deal with psychiatric illnesses and morbid forms of stress that are not usually handled by other treatment options.
[ Read: Migraine Medication During Pregnancy ]
Using Zoloft During Pregnancy:
The use of Zoloft during pregnancy as a treatment option for depression may be associated with several health risks for the baby. Certain complications that are commonly associated with the use of this antidepressant include –
- Respiratory distress
- Sleep apnea
- Temperature instability
- Feeding difficulties
[ Read: Metformin During Pregnancy ]
What’s more, it has also been found that the components present in Zoloft tend to get mixed with breast milk, which further makes it a strict no-no for use during breastfeeding too.
If you have been suffering from chronic depression that is not responding well to other modes of treatment, you can speak to your practitioner about other antidepressant medications for use during pregnancy.
Antidepressants That Are Safe During Pregnancy:
Well, it has been found that unlike Zoloft, certain antidepressant medications are actually safe for use during pregnancy. Make sure you seek medical advice before trying any of these for your depression.
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) of certain kinds may be used during pregnancy- Celexa, Prozac, etc.
- Wellbutrin is often recommended to deal with both depression and smoking cessation, and when used in moderate amounts, they are permissible for use during pregnancy.
It is always best to stick to natural ways to deal with stress and depression. Behavioral therapies, meditation and some pampering are sure to make you feel better. Look up, online and offline, some good ways to stay positive and happy, and enjoy your pregnancy as you should!
Don’t forget to share your views on Zoloft in pregnancy in the comment box below:
- Is It Safe To Take Nifedipine During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Take Zofran During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Take Labetalol During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Take Metformin During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Consume Antacid During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Enozia Vakil (see all)
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis In Children - 7 Symptoms & 4 Remedies - January 16, 2017
- Canker Sores In Children - Causes, Treatment And Remedies - January 12, 2017
- 8 Helpful Language Development Tips For Children - July 30, 2015