Are you pregnant and miss dancing? Do you find the idea of prenatal exercises boring? Well, if you can relate to the above situations reading this post is a good idea!
Ditch the workout, join the party. That’s the motto of Zumba. Zumba, a high-impact dance workout, is the latest form of fun exercise, pregnant women across the globe prefer today. It would always be advisable to find a regimen that suits your fitness needs especially during pregnancy. But if Zumba is your pick, then this article is for you. Do you want to know more about the safety of this high energy workout during pregnancy? Read on as Zumba during pregnancy can be fun!
Why Is It Important To Exercise During Pregnancy?
According to ancient wisdom, exercising can help women enjoy a safe pregnancy. Here are the following reasons that back this fitness theory:
- Increases blood circulation in the body.
- Promotes overall health and well-being.
- Helps in increasing the oxygen supply to the organs.
- Prevents depression.
- Reduces pelvic congestion and cramping.
- Helps prevent leg cramps and varicosities, which occur due to congestion of blood in the lower extremities.
- Tones the muscles and prepares the body for childbirth.
- Facilitates the speedy recovery of organ tone and placement after delivery.(1)
What Is Zumba?Sponsored
Zumba is a fitness programme that originates from Columbia and involves dancing to the Latin beats.
Why Is Zumba A Good Prenatal Workout?
Can you do Zumba while pregnant? The answer is Yes.Pregnant women can choose from a variety of safe pregnancy workouts like stretching, yoga, walking, swimming, etc. However, Zumba is increasingly becoming the most popular workout for pregnant women as the fun combination of sizzling dance moves, and the thumping Latino beats can lift your spirits and beat those pregnancy blues! What more, as you shake a leg, you can feel your baby moving with you too! Zumba and pregnancy can be a fun deal together.
Benefits Of Practicing Zumba During Pregnancy:
A vigorous exercise can increase the production of endorphins in our body. The pituitary gland in the brain releases endorphins, a morphine-like substance that helps alleviate pain and induce feelings of euphoria and wellbeing. (2) Dance workouts like Zumba can significantly boost the endorphin levels in the body.
Endorphins act as a natural painkiller. A surge of this chemical in the body can help a pregnant woman prepare better for a natural childbirth. It can also help women enjoy a short and smooth labor. (3)
Different Types Of Zumba:
The different variants of Zumba include traditional Zumba, Zumba Gold, Zumba Toning, Aqua Zumba, Zumbatomic and Zumba Marumba. You can talk to your instructor and find out the form that is perfect for you during pregnancy. Pregnant women prefer to opt for Aqua Zumba as it offers the high energy fun of classic Zumba but in refreshing cool waters. It helps condition the workout to make it low-impact and appropriate for pregnant women.
Is Zumba Safe For Pregnant Women?
American College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists states that in the absence of contraindications healthy pregnant women can go ahead and regularly participate in physical activities of moderate-intensity. It also advises that pregnant women should not have a heart rate of more than 140 beats a minute during an exercise regimen. It also recommends a workout session of 30 minutes a day for expecting women. Since, Zumba meets both these criteria it is a safe prenatal exercise. Other factors that determine your safety while exercising during pregnancy are your age, the intensity of your exercise and your fitness level before pregnancy. (4)
Points To Remember:
- Listen to your body. Opt for Zumba only if you are already into dancing or enjoy reasonable fitness.
- If you have a history of health issues like diabetes, blood pressure or preterm labor, opt for Zumba only after consulting your medical practitioner.
- One major negative of Zumba dancing is that the strenuous workout it offers can be a struggle during pregnancy. The amount of blood flow increases to 30-50% above normal during the vigorous workout.
- Talk to your Zumba instructor about your pregnancy. Let him modify the moves to suit you. If you still can’t cope with the strenuous workout, relax! Your baby’s health is a top priority and your love for dancing can take a backseat for now.
- Drink plenty of water before, during, and after the exercise to avoid dehydration.
- If you are gasping for breath during the Zumba class, stop immediately. It indicates that your baby too may be finding it difficult to breathe.
Seek immediate medical help if you feel any of the following symptoms of discomfort while Zumba dancing.
- Increase in uterine contractions.
- Unbearable pain or swelling, especially in the calf muscles.
- Dizziness and chest pain.
- Vaginal bleeding or fluid leakage.
- Shortness of breath.
So know you know how Zumba can help you dance your way to fitness during pregnancy. Why wait? Put on your dancing shoes and hit the floor!
Have you tried Zumba classes during your pregnancy? Please share your experience and advice with other moms here.
- 4 Amazing Stretching Exercises For Pregnant Women
- 6 Amazing Benefits Of Walking During Pregnancy
- 10 Tips To Follow At Gym During Pregnancy
- 7 Precautions For An Effective Pilates Workout During Pregnancy
Latest posts by Keerthy Ramachandran (see all)
- Top 10 Healthy Foods For Teens - April 3, 2015
- Is Skating Safe During Pregnancy? - April 1, 2015
- Food Poisoning In Toddlers - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments - March 31, 2015