What do you know about eating grapefruit during pregnancy? Here is a list of things you should be aware of before including grapefruit in your diet. White, pink or ruby, grapefruits are somewhere between a lemon and an orange. They are a storehouse of health-benefiting nutrients.
A citrus fruit by nature, grapefruit is used for multiple reasons. It is a fruit to eat, you can extract from its peel, and grapefruit seed extract during pregnancy have a high medicinal value. While some varieties of grapefruit are too tarty some others are succulently sweet.
Medicinal Benefits Of Grapefruit During Pregnancy:
Grapefruit juice can treat the following disorders:
- High cholesterol
- Psoriasis and
The grapefruit seed extract, when taken orally, is an effective cure to fight against infections caused by bacteria, virus and fungus. The from its peel is used to relieve people from fatigue and hair loss problems. Also used to treat the common cold, the oil finds use in toning the skin and treating acne.
Nutritional Value Of Grapefruit:
1. One of the richest sources of vitamin C, grapefruit is rich in fiber, potassium, pectin and many other nutrients.
2. Some of its components have high levels of antioxidants. The riper the grapefruit, the higher antioxidant value it possesses.
3. It has high fiber and a low glycemic load, making it a great metabolism booster.
4. It also packs a powerful punch of calcium, vitamin A, and magnesium, thereby contributing to higher energy levels in our body on consumption.
5. These properties help grapefruit to prevent free radical damage which contributes to inflammation in different parts of the body.
6. The high amount of potassium in grapefruit makes it heart-healthy.
7. The citrate in grapefruit binds with calcium in the urine and reduces the amount of available calcium to form calcium oxalate stones. It also adds to the acidity of the urine and hence prevents the formation of smaller calcium oxalates.
8. The phytonutrient, limonin, present in the fruit reduces tumor growth (1).
[ Read: Passion Fruit During Pregnancy ]
Health Benefits Of Eating Grapefruit During Pregnancy:
The horde of nutrients in grapefruit makes it a welcoming fruit to have in pregnancy. However, grapefruit bags the spotlight during this period for an added reason. It is potential enough to cure a number of ailments pregnancy brings along with it, during different trimesters. Check out which are they.
High blood pressure and protein in the urine of a pregnant woman after the 20th week of pregnancy is Preeclampsia. Preeclampsia can lead to premature separation of the placenta from the uterus before the baby is born, heavy bleeding, rupture of the liver and in rare cases death. Now, this wonderful fruit can work wonders in controlling preeclampsia to a large extent. Thanks to the good level of potassium and lycopene it contains (2).
From the early days of pregnancy insomnia can be a constant companion to some women. It will be at its worst especially during the third trimester. Eat a bowl of grapefruit slices before going to bed and you can find an effective solution to insomnia.
3. Heartburn And Morning Sickness:
Heartburn is a form of indigestion. It is usually a reflux action of the body when the contents of the stomach come back in to the esophagus and cause a burning sensation. The enlarging size of the uterus giving limited space to many other internal organs in the body can be one contributing factor to this. However, grapefruit has the ability to neutralize stomach acid and reduce such complications. Similarly eating a grapefruit in the morning can curb the tendency to vomit, the most common form of morning sickness in pregnancy (3).
4. Diabetes And Metabolic Syndrome:
Gestational diabetes is often associated with an increased birth weight in the baby and other labor complications. The low sugars of grapefruit make it a safely consumable fruit in pregnancy. It also helps in reducing the sweets and starches in the system. Results indicate a significant insulin resistance in the body. Also taking half a grapefruit before meals has proved to reduce body weight. (4)
The bioflavonoids and vitamin C content in grapefruit can significantly reduce water retention in pregnant women. Swelling in different parts of the body is a common thing in pregnancy, especially towards the final trimester. Swelling happens due to water retention in the body.
[ Read: Benefits Of Vitamin C During Pregnancy ]
6. Constipation And Hydration:
The high amount of dietary fiber in grapefruit makes it an excellent cure for constipation. Pregnancy lowers the rate of digestion in the body and constipation is a common complaint. Include grapefruit in the diet to permanently find a solution to bowel tract problem. It is important to stay hydrated all through pregnancy especially during the summer. Grapefruit has one of the highest water proportions of all fruits (90%) and is full of electrolytes thereby becoming an excellent healing food for both constipation and dehydration.
7. Calcium And Folic Acid:
Even if you miss your daily dose of calcium tablets in pregnancy, grapefruits can replenish the nutrient loss. A single grapefruit provides 2% of the daily calcium intake. Just like some other fruits cantaloupe, banana, strawberry, and raspberry, the grapefruit also has a significant amount of folic acid which can prevent birth defects.
Side Effects Of Eating Grapefruit During Pregnancy:
- Take the grapefruit only in moderation as it contains fructose which when consumed at excessive levels can prove harmful to health.
- Check with your doctor before including grapefruit in your diet if you are under some form of medication. Grapefruit can change the effectiveness of some medication.
- Grapefruit can cause side effects on people who have kidney diseases and the Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease GERD.
- Also, pregnant women who have a history of allergy to citrus fruits may have to stay away from consuming grapefruit. (5)
[ Read: Oranges During Pregnancy ]
Healthy Recipe With Grapefruit:
You can taste grapefruit by adding some freshly cut slices to salads, making a rich smoothie out of it or even preparing a broiled grapefruit. Here is a salubrious grapefruit recipe you can try for breakfast and as an anytime snack.
Grapefruit, Orange And Apricot Salad:
- 2 grapefruits
- 4 oranges
- 4 apricots
- 1 tbsp honey
Method Of Preparation:
- Peel, pith and cut away the grapefruit and oranges into a large bowl.
- Stone and slice the apricots and mix it with the other fruits.
- Now pour some honey on top of it.
- Garnish with some mint leaves (optional) to add some color and serve.
So now you know the wonders grapefruit can do to you in pregnancy. Bid adieu to all those pregnancy ailments with the horde of nutritious befits this super fruit can offer you. Do you love grapefruits? Can you share one of your favorite grapefruit recipes with us?
- Is It Safe To Eat Muskmelon During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Guava During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Papaya During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Consume Cranberry Or Cranberry Juice During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Keerthy Ramachandran (see all)
- Top 10 Healthy Foods For Teens - April 3, 2015
- Is Skating Safe During Pregnancy? - April 1, 2015
- Food Poisoning In Toddlers - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments - March 31, 2015