Are you pregnant and craving for a serving of pate? Yes, we all go through crazy food cravings during pregnancy. But have you ever wondered if eating pate during pregnancy is safe for you or not? If you haven’t, or even if you have, consider reading our post.
What Is Pate?
Pate pronounced as pah-TAY is a French word for pie. It is a mixture of ground pork, ham, poultry, beef, seafood and sometimes a combination of all. Pate can be creamy, smooth or on the chunky side. Chefs serve pate either hot or cold, but it develops its fullest flavor after a few days of chilling. Pate isn’t just limited to meat and seafood. Even vegetarian pates are equally popular.
Is Pate Safe During Pregnancy?
Simply put, pate is not safe for consumption, except for those that are heated or pasteurized. Any variety of liver pate is a strict no-no. Want to know why? Then read on!
[ Read: Eating Lamb During Pregnancy ]
Risks Of Eating Pate During Pregnancy:
The NHS recommends expectant mothers to avoid all types of pates, including the vegetable pates because of the possibility of Listeria bacteria in it. Pregnant women are highly susceptible to listeriosis, a kind of food poisoning that occurs due to eating foods contaminated with Listeria bacteria. It is because a pregnant woman’s natural defense is weaker during pregnancy. Even a dozen studies prove the association between pate and listeriosis. Listeriosis can cause digestive disorders, flu-like symptoms, and even miscarriage in severe cases. If listeriosis develops during the last weeks of pregnancy, then your baby may be born ill.
[ Read: Symptoms Of Listeriosis In Pregnancy ]
2. High Levels Of Vitamin A:
Pate contains remarkably high levels of vitamin A, a nutrient that can be harmful during pregnancy. A high dose of vitamin A can lead to birth defects and can damage your baby’s liver. So make sure that your daily intake of vitamin A does not exceed 8,000 IU.
Another reason to skip eating pate in pregnancy is that it contains liver, which you shouldn’t eat. Liver contains a high level of retinol that can harm your unborn baby.
Now that you know about the adverse effects of eating pate while pregnant, we have found some pate alternatives that will be good for your baby’s development.
Eminent nutritionists are of the view that vegan pates like Granovita and Tartex are completely safe to eat during pregnancy. The pates are pasteurized and heated to destroy all the bacteria. And they are readily available in most health food stores.
[ Read: Is It Safe To Eat Bacon During Pregnancy ]
How Can You Know The Pate Is Safe?
If you want to eat vegan pates during pregnancy, then you can go for canned pate or pate that is shelf safe to eat. Purchase pate from shops that sells and stores pate at room temperature. Do not buy refrigerated pates. You don’t even need to chill the pate before opening it.
Just because pate is not entirely safe for consumption during pregnancy, does not mean that you cannot enjoy it at all. There is a meager chance that you will get listeriosis by eating just a serving of pate. In a research conducted in 2011, there were 147 cases of listeriosis and only 27 were in pregnant women. Therefore, the risk to you and your baby is not high.
If your doctor still says no, here are vegetarian pate recipes that you can enjoy during pregnancy.
1. Veggie Pate:
You Will Need:
- 1 cup of sunflower seeds
- ½ cup of whole wheat flour
- ½ cup of nutritional yeast
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- ½ teaspoon of dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon of dried basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of dried sage
- ½ teaspoon of dried savory
- ½ teaspoon of ground dry mustard
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease a baking dish.
- Blend the whole-wheat flour, yeasts, sunflower seeds, potato, carrot, pepper, and lemon juice. Now add the onion, celery, thyme, basil, sage, pepper, vegetable oil, garlic, water and dry mustard and blend further.
- Process the mixture until it acquires a smooth consistency.
- Then transfer the mixture to the baking dish and bake for 1 hour or until it is lightly brown in color.
[ Read: Risks Of Eating Steak During Pregnancy ]
2. Red Lentil And Sweet Potato Pate:
You Will Need:
- 1 small sized sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 140 grams of red lentils
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil, extra for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- ½ medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 3 thyme sprigs, leaves chopped
- 500ml of low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon of red wine vinegar
- Pita bread, to serve
- In a saucepan, heat oil and add the chopped onions.
- Then add paprika and cook for another two minutes.
- Now add the vegetable stock, sweet potato, lentils, and thyme and simmer for 20 minutes or until the lentils and sweet potato are tender.
- Add vinegar, seasoning and mash the mixture roughly. If you like chunky or grainy texture, then keep it that way.
- Chill for 1 to 2 hours and then dust the remaining paprika and drizzle the olive oil. You can also garnish with thyme sprigs if you want.
- Serve the pate with vegetable sticks of pita bread.
Remember, the food you eat will directly impact your baby. So, try to include foods that benefit both you and your baby. And it is just a matter of nine months. After that, you can eat pate as much as you want.
Now you know can you eat pate when pregnant or not. Did you eat pate during pregnancy? If yes, then how much did you eat? Did it benefit you in any way? Please share your experience with us below. Leave a comment here.
- Is It Safe To Eat Imitation Crab During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Parsley During Your Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Greek Yogurt During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Seaweed During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Arshi (see all)
- Sahabi Names: 75 Best Male Sahaba Names For Baby Boys - February 22, 2018
- Sahabiyat Names: 75 Sacred Female Sahaba Names For Baby Girls - February 20, 2018
- 65 Lord Rama Names For Baby Boy With Meanings - December 21, 2017