For some women, abortion can be a painful experience while for others it is a tough decision to take. Your reasons may differ, but the hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy lead to many complications, most common one is lactating after abortion.
Did you know that such unwanted lactation can cause mastitis and other infections? Is there something you can do to prevent or treat these infections? Read this post and get the answers to all these questions here.
Is It Normal To Express Milk After An Abortion?
Yes, it is completely normal for you to experience milk production and supply even after you have aborted your baby. Typically, you will notice that milk production begins within 3-days of the abortion, and the condition is completely natural and acceptable.
While some of you may not feel too uncomfortable, others may experience pain and discomfort.
[ Read: How To Express Breast Milk ]
How To Stop Lactation After Abortion?
Now that you know milk production/lactation is common after an abortion, you can choose to allow the milk production to subside on its own, or try to suppress it. You can try some simple steps to control the process of lactating after abortion.
- It is important to express milk using a breast pump or your hand if your breasts feel full. If you ignore and don’t pump excess milk out of your breasts, you may develop mastitis, which leads to a toughening of breast tissue and can lead to other infections.
- Expressing the milk will help rid you of any discomfort you may experience.
- You can also choose to donate your breast milk to a breast milk bank.
Steps To Take For Controlling Milk Production:
When it comes to relieving discomfort associated with lactation, you could try these simple tips.
- Place raw, cold and washed cabbage leaves inside your bra- it may help to reduce milk production and ease any tenderness in the breasts.
- Take a warm water bath and ensure that the water runs over your breasts. This method can provide relief from pain and tenderness naturally.
- For intense pain, you could choose to place ice packs on your chest – it will also help reduce swelling. Just make sure you don’t use the ice packs for more than 10 minutes at a time.
- Drinking sage tea may also help control milk production post-abortion.
- Make sure your bra isn’t too tight- avoid wearing a bra for at least a few hours every day- preferably while you sleep.
Following these steps can help you naturally reduce post abortion lactation and calm down its associated symptoms as well.
Simple Care Tips Post-Abortion:
Dealing with an abortion can be physically and mentally stressful. Taking some simple steps can help you deal with it better.
- Take the optimum rest and relax during the initial recovery period. Allow your body to recover and heal naturally.
- If you’re experiencing cramps and pain around the abdominal region, you could talk to your doctor about using pain relief medications such as Ibuprofen or Paracetamol, or use a warm water bottle on the abdomen.
- Avoid having sex for at least two days after the bleeding stops.
- Gently massaging the lower abdominal region can also help minimize pain and get the womb back to the normal size, and possibly even minimize bleeding.
- Take plenty of fluids.
- Seek medical help if you experience heavy vaginal bleeding, high fever, and severe abdominal pain (1).
We hope this article helped you understand some simple ways to deal with lactation after you’ve had an abortion. Did these tips help you out? Let us know in the comments box below.
Latest posts by Enozia Vakil (see all)
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis In Children - 7 Symptoms & 4 Remedies - January 16, 2017
- Canker Sores In Children - Causes, Treatment And Remedies - January 12, 2017
- How To Treat Drool Rash In Babies? - June 5, 2015