Toddlers are probably the biggest bundles of energy. If you are the proud parent of a toddler, we completely understand if at times you feel your darling just tires you out.
It’s just so hard to make them stay in one place for a while, isn’t it? Ah, what would you not give to keep him entertained in one place!
10 Fun Learning Activities For Toddlers At Home
With an attention span that is so short, how do we teach toddlers anything at all? Fret not, here we have compiled a list of toddler learning activities that are so much fun, your toddler will be more than up for them.
1. Animals Everywhere:
One of the basics of learning is the ability of recognition. You can teach your toddler using animals as a theme. Make use of animal tags for your toddler’s stuffed animals.
- This way, every time he picks a toy, he also inevitably is attracted to the name card.
- Thus, he learns to recognize the toy, and also learns the spellings right.
- You can use the same concept for numbers, shapes and words too.
2. Theme The Day:
Select a letter of the day, say P. Let the whole day have little activities spread through the day focusing on the letter.
- You can make food themed around P – pasta, use vegetables – pea, use colors – pink and the like.
- Let the toddler trace the structure of P or make models using play dough.
- Within no time, your toddler will effortlessly learn the alphabet!
Scrabble is a world-famous game for all ages, and it is so flexible that even your toddler can play it.
- Scrabble is by far the easiest way to indulge your kid in some learning.
- Sit down with the toddler and her group of friends, and start by constructing little words.
- They don’t have to follow the rules, just making use the letter slabs is more than enough.
[ Read: Animal Stories For Kids ]
4. Pancake-d Words:
What better way than teaching with food AND get breakfast ready for your little one?
- Make little pancakes, and use generous amount of healthy syrups to create alphabet/words on it.
- Let your toddler learn to arrange them in order.
- Tell him the reward is that he gets to eat yummy pancakes, as soon as the order is right. Hello, happy tummy!
5. Beans And More:
This learning activity for toddlers is one of the easy ways to keep them engaged for longer hours. Take a marker and write alphabet, numbers, shapes, etc on the beans.
- Let your toddler sort them into groups.
- For more fun, provide your darling with glue and ask him to stick the ordered beans on chart paper.
- The activity may get little sticky, but it can glue your toddler for hours.
6. Macaroni Fun:
Food as accessories… why not? All you need is some strings, and a lot of macaroni.
- Write down alphabet/words/numbers on the pipes and ask your toddler to string them in order.
- If you can use edible colors to write, you can as well cook the macaroni garlands and bracelets.
- You can also try using cheese as glue for accessories.
7. Bake It Through:
Dough, along with measuring spoons and cups, can be used to teach your toddler about measurements.
- While your toddler learns the perfect recipe for the simplest muffin, he also learns about capacity, thus some mathematics!
- You can also teach him about the goodness of ingredients used in a muffin.
- Once baked, help him to decorate muffins with his name. One muffin for one letter of his name. Now who says no to customized muffins?
8. Rainbow Toys:
Kids own toys in all possible colors. So make use of the bright toys to teach your child about the rainbow.
- Pick one toy each for each color of the rainbow, and arrange them in order.
- Now, ask your toddler to pick similar colors and group them. At the end of it, provide him with separate bags for each color.
- This activity will teach him how to sort, to recognize colors and also the basic organizational skills.
[ Read: How To Teach Kids To Read ]
9. Emotions Board:
We all know how important it is to have a healthy way of handling emotions – recognizing them, expressing them and more. What better way than inculcating shapes too in the learning process?
- Use basic shapes to twist and turn them around to teach emotions to your toddler.
- A half circle can be a smiley. Turn it upside down, and it can be a frown!
- Encourage your kid to make his own emotion.
10. Routine Management:
Discipline is something that parents struggle to teach their toddlers. To make your kid follow basic rules without fussing around, try using colorful time tables.
- Hang this time table where your kid can see it every day and use it to jot down his behavior.
- Post smiley stickers, and 2 stickers for extremely good behavior! This way your toddler will learn where and when he is right or wrong in his conduct.
- Every time your kid follows a rule without being told or reminded of, appreciate him. In no time, you will notice a positive difference in the child.
These are the most fun and easiest ways we could think of to keep your toddler happy. Also these will help him learn several aspects, so as to strengthen his learning abilities at a tender age.
What are your favorite learning activities for toddlers? Let us know!
- 10 Best Autumn Crafts For Your Toddler
- 10 Interesting Alphabet Activities For Your Toddlers
- 10 Wonderful Spiderman Coloring Pages Your Toddler Will Love
- 7 Fun Loving Outdoor Activities & Games For Your Toddlers