Do you love seafood, but are wondering about the safety of eating Lox while pregnant? Do you think that having Lox may adversely affect your fetus or cause any birth defects in your baby? If this is a dilemma that you have been facing, you might want to read our post. Scroll down and get all the information you need about eating Lox during pregnancy.
What Is Lox?
Lox is seafood derived from Salmon fish. Lox is the belly of the Salmon fish. Lox is also called Belly Lox and is treated with salt for many weeks, which makes it salty during the brining process (1).
Is It Safe To Eat Lox During Pregnancy?
If you are pregnant, then avoid eating refrigerated Lox and other uncooked or raw seafood as well. There are possible dangers of catching a viral or a bacterial infection if you consume partially cooked or uncooked seafood. Therefore, if you wish to keep yourself and your baby safe and devoid of any such infection, then strictly avoid refrigerated foods. Also, cook everything thoroughly to eliminate the possibility of food poisoning during pregnancy. Consider eating lox, only if your doctor says you can (2).
Health Benefits Of Eating Lox:
Consult your doctor before eating Lox during pregnancy. He will be better able to guide you about whether eating Lox will be beneficial and healthy for you or not.
Following are the some of the health benefits that Lox offers you:
1. HDL Cholesterol:
Lox is a rich source of Vitamin B12 and VitaminB3 or Niacin. These Vitamins increase HDL or good cholesterol in the body.
2. Heart-Related issues:
Salmon or Lox is a reservoir of Omega-3 Fatty acids that decrease the risk of cardiovascular diseases viz. Heart attack, high blood pressure, heart stroke, higher levels of triglycerides in the blood.
3. Reduce Problems Associated with Brain:
Omega-3 Fatty acids also help reduce brain related problems like depression in teenagers and adults and cognitive decline and memory loss in the elderly people.
4. For Stronger Joints:
If you want healthy and strong joints, then increase the amount of Lox you eat. Lox contains bioactive proteins that are good for the joints. Also, Selenium present in Lox obtained from the Salmon fish is good for preventing joint inflammation.
5. Good For Eyes:
If you are eating Lox, then you surely will not suffer from eye disorders like chronic dry eye and macular degeneration.
6. Cancer Prevention:
Lox consumption prevents cancer viz. Breast cancer, colorectal cancer, Leukaemia, multiple myelomas, lymph cell-related cancer, etc.
[ Read: Eating Imitation Crab While Pregnant ]
How To Prepare Lox At Home?
There is no need for you to burn a hole in your pocket while purchasing Lox. But how can you eat lox while pregnant? You can prepare Lox that is cured smoked Salmon at home as well. Just follow the steps mentioned below and make Lox topping for your breakfast or snacking meals easily.
You Will Need:
- 2 filets of fresh salmon fish
- Around ¼ cup sea salt
- ¼ cup of raw or unrefined sugar
- Green peppercorns, crushed for about two tablespoons or you can also use Black pepper
- ¼ cup whey
- Two large bunches of fresh dill, snipped
- Parchment Paper or Plastic Wrap
- Firstly prepare a mixture of peppercorns, sugar and sea salt.
- Place the fish slice on the plastic sheet or parchment paper, whatever is available.
- Now evenly spread this mixture on both the sides of the fish slice.
- Next step is; sprinkle the whey uniformly on both the sides of the fish.
- Now place the fresh Dill over the fish slice, again on both the sides.
- Now wrap the parchment paper and cover the fish.
- Carefully place it in the refrigerator and flip it over after every 12 to 14 hours.
- Keep it this way for four to six days in the fridge.
- After a week, bring it out and cut it into small equal sized slices and your Lox is ready to serve.
Tip: You can add multigrain bagels to it and relish the raw fish for a healthy breakfast.
Did you consume Lox during pregnancy? Did you suffer from any side effects? Share your experience with other moms regarding lox and pregnancy. Leave a comment below.
- Is It Safe To Eat Ricotta Cheese While You Are Pregnant?
- 4 Amazing Health Benefits Of Eating Biltong During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Eat Pancetta During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Bologna While You Are Pregnant?
Latest posts by Hansika Kaushik (see all)
- 20 Signs And Symptoms Of Hypothyroidism In Children - December 24, 2015
- Chorionic Villus Sampling (CVS) - Everything You Need To Know - December 10, 2015
- Infertility In Men - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments - December 3, 2015