As much as a joy a planned pregnancy can turn out to be, an unplanned pregnancy can be equally stressful. Though you might have tried to protect yourselves by taking birth control pills, there are chances you miss them sometimes. Perhaps, in the nick of the time, you may worry about how to stop pregnancy after 1 month. There are also times when your body cannot support the healthy growth of a fetus. Thus, the doctor may have to take a tough decision. It may become necessary to terminate the pregnancy.
Stopping pregnancy or abortion is an early measure to prevent a pregnancy. If you want to know how to avoid pregnancy after one month or at any time in the first trimester, you can opt for either a medical or surgical abortion. The medical abortion involves taking medicines to prevent pregnancy. The other type is surgical abortion, which uses a surgical method to remove pregnancy.
1 Month Pregnancy Abortion – What Will Happen?
Medical Abortion: You can opt for a medical abortion in the initial 9 weeks of pregnancy. Doctors use a pill mifepristone to block the progesterone hormone that is essential during pregnancy. It causes thinning of the uterus wall lining.
The procedure: In the abortion procedure, you need to visit your Gynecologist at least 3 times. The first dose of medicine is mifepristone. You are supposed to go back to the doctor after a few days for the second dose of the medicine called misoprostol. This medicine causes contractions in the uterus and leaves it empty. The abortion can lead to bleeding that would continue for about 13 days. Spotting and light bleeding continues for several weeks. You need to visit your doctor again to ascertain whether the medicine worked to terminate one month pregnancy.
[ Read: Pregnancy Symptoms Before Missed Period ]
Surgical Abortion: This abortion procedure takes place in the clinic. Surgical method prevents pregnancy after one month or more by removing the lining of the womb. There are again two types of procedures: MVA (Manual Vacuum Aspiration) and D&E (Dilatation and Evacuation).
The Procedures: Both the procedures use suction method to stop the pregnancy. MVA uses a hand-held surgical tool to empty the womb whereas D&E method uses suction machine and tools. You can go for MVA during the initial 12 weeks of pregnancy. And D&E can be done only after one month of pregnancy and before the 13th week of pregnancy ends.
Whatever is the surgical abortion procedure, it doesn’t take longer than 5 to 10 minutes. You will get a soothing medicine around the cervical opening to make your womb numb. The doctor will insert a tube and stretch open the cervix, your uterus will be emptied through the suction tube.
How Painful It Is To Terminate Pregnancy After One Month?
Medical Abortion: Medical abortion is like a bad menstrual period accompanied by diarrhea, severe cramps and stomach upset. Lately, you may experience lighter bleeding that may continue for one to two weeks. These are normal symptoms that you will experience after the procedure. However, you should get it into the doctor’s picture when any one of the following things happen:
- Heavy bleeding that requires at least 2 sanitary pads an hour.
- Fever that is above 100 degree Farheinit.
- Severe pains and cramps even after taking painkillers.
Surgical Abortion: You will suffer from severe menstrual cramping after you go for surgical abortion. Doctors will prescribe medicines to help with the pain and may ask you to rest at home. Light bleeding may continue off and on for nearly one week.
[ Read: Home Remedies To Prevent Conception ]
Are These Methods Effective In Preventing Pregnancy?
Medical abortion with Mifepristone is about 97% effective in preventing the pregnancies. In case, the medicine fails to abort the fetus, you may have to go for surgical abortion. It works 99% of the time, but in case, if it fails, you need to go for a repeated surgical abortion.
How Safe Are One Month Pregnancy Abortions?
Both medical and surgical abortions are quite safe when performed by healthcare professionals. Serious complications occur rarely. But this does not have any effect on reducing woman’s ability to get pregnant again.
Medical abortion has been in existence since the late 1980’s in European countries and since 2000 in the U.S. It has at least 10 times fewer complications.
Surgical abortion is relatively a safer method that is being used for 40 years. The first 8 weeks of pregnancy is the safest period to go for termination. Even this procedure carries 10 times fewer complications.
Advantages Of Abortion Of One Month Pregnancy:
Medical Abortion: This procedure involves no anesthesia, medical tools or shots. It is a more natural kind of abortion that offers a feeling of miscarriage. It is the first option to consider for one month pregnancy abortion. You can be at home and get the treatment done.
Surgical Abortion: This procedure takes only a few minutes. Compared to the medical procedure, you can notice less bleeding. It requires a doctor’s intervention, and you need to be in the clinic. It can be done at any time during the first trimester, not necessarily after a month.
Disadvantages Of Abortion Of 1 Month Pregnancy:
Medical Abortion: The pregnancy terminates within one to two days. You will suffer heavy bleeding and cramping that can last longer than with surgical abortion. It can only be done within a certain period, i.e soon after one month. It will not work in the later stages as in the surgical abortion.
Surgical Abortion: It is an invasive method that uses instruments through the cervical region. Pain medications and anesthetics that you take during the procedure may cause side effects. You require someone to accompany you for the surgical procedure.
Recovering From A Medical Abortion:
Well, most women recover rather quickly after an abortion, but it does differ for every woman. Most women recover within a few weeks, and many turn up to work also. Here are a few symptoms that you will notice after an abortion:
Bleeding and cramping are quite common soon after a medical abortion. Though the abortion takes place within 4 to 5 hours, it is completed within 1 to 2 days. In some rare cases, it may take up to 2 weeks to prevent pregnancy after 1 month. Once the pregnancy terminates, the bleeding will continue to be heavy for one to two days as the uterus needs to heal. If the bleeding is heavier than what you normally experience, it is best to call your doctor or rush to one.
Cramping is experienced by most women for about a week after an abortion. You can take over the counter painkillers after consulting your doctor. Also, hot compresses will help alleviate the pain.
After an abortion, most women feel relieved, but there can be feelings of sadness, relief, regret and guilt, and it is perfectly fine. These are temporary feelings, and you will surely get over them as soon as possible.
You will return to your normal routine almost immediately after the abortion, but it is best to take one or two days to recuperate. You may feel a little tired and drained out so some rest will help you recover quickly.
It is ideal to avoid sex for 1 to 2 weeks after an abortion. Also, fertility returns just after an abortion and hence make sure to use contraception every time you have sex.
How To Speed Up Recovery After One Month Pregnancy Abortion?
You should follow the below some basic measures when you go for a surgical or medical abortion. Here is how you should take care of yourself:
- Drink more fluids to hydrate yourself.
- Eat healthy food and take vitamins.
- Don’t take heavy stress work for few days.
- Have enough amount of sleep and maintain healthy sleeping habits.
- Do not exercise for at least 2 weeks after abortion.
- Avoid swimming or tub baths for two weeks.
- Avoid lifting heavy weights above 15 lbs. for more than 2 weeks.
- Do not use any vaginal stuff like tampons, douches or sex for at least 2 to 4 weeks.
- Avoid sex until you recover completely. Indulge in sex only when you are physically and emotionally fit and strong.
Points To Remember:
Here are some other pointers to remember when it comes to one month pregnancy abortion:
- After you have terminated your pregnancy, keep yourself occupied to avoid any negative thoughts.
- If you wanted the baby but had to terminate due to pregnancy complications, you should be gentle with yourself. You can recuperate fully and with the help of your doctor’s plan during your next pregnancy.
- You should also talk to your family and particularly your partner about how you feel. Discussion will help you vent out the sad feelings and get back to normal life as soon as possible.
- There could be some feeling of sadness and guilt even in your partner. Develop true intimacy to strengthen your bond. Be strong, this too shall pass, and you will find happier times are just around the corner.
Hope you liked our post on how to stop pregnancy after 1 month. It is up to you on what abortion procedure you would like to take. Also, a doctor’s consultation is always suggestible. Hope our post helps you clear up any fears about how to avoid pregnancy after 1 month. Also, share your views and experiences if any in the comment section below.
- 11 Simple Ways to Confirm Pregnancy without Doing a Test
- Cryptic Pregnancy Symptoms: Why It Goes Unnoticed And When Do You Know About It
- 8 Simple Steps To Do An Accurate Urine Test For Pregnancy
- 1st Week Pregnancy – Symptoms, Baby Development, Tips And Body Changes
- 2nd Week Pregnancy – Symptoms, Baby Development, Tips And Body Changes
Latest posts by sarita vivek (see all)
- Top 5 Finger Puppet Craft Ideas For Kids - September 20, 2014
- Should You Worry If You Have Low Platelet Count During Pregnancy? - September 15, 2014
- How To Avoid Pregnancy After One Month? - July 7, 2014