Have you noticed multiple bumps on your toddler’s skin? Does your little one scratch at these bumps and not complain of pain? Does her condition worry you? Don’t panic just yet! She may suffer from Molluscum Contagiosum. What is Molluscum Contagiosum? How does it happen? How do you treat it?
The painless skin bumps on your toddler’s skin can terrify you. You may not able to understand, what to do and what not to. Here we look closely at Molluscum Contagiosum. The skin disease is common in toddlers.
What Is Molluscum Contagiosum?
Molluscum Contagiosum is a skin affliction that occurs due to a pox virus (the molluscum contagiosum virus). The disease gives rise to multiple pear-like skin bumps on your toddler’s skin. The bumps are painless but severely itchy, scratching these bumps can spread the infection. (1)
Symptoms Of Molluscum Contagiosum In Toddlers:
There are several symptoms of Molluscum Contagiosum, which include:
- Skin turns red and is inflamed.
- Skin bumps are painless but itchy.
- Skin papules have a dimple in the center.
- The skin papules become softer with passage of time.
- The skin bumps turn red and drain over time.
- Painless skin bumps arise on the face, armpits, neck and hands of the toddlers. (2)
[ Read: Symptoms Of Shingles In Toddlers ]
Who Are Most Prone To Molluscum Contagiosum?
Now that you know how to spot whether your child has Molluscum Contagiosum, let’s look at who are at a greater risk of contracting the condition.
- Small children who are 1 to 10 years old are more prone to suffer from the contagious skin disease.
- Individuals with a weak immune systems due to AIDS or organ transplant can suffer from the disease.
- Children with eczema may also risk suffering from Molluscum Contagiosum. (3)
Causes Of Molluscum Contagiosum In Toddlers:
The harmful pox virus (the molluscum contagiosum virus) causes the skin bumps or Molluscum Contagiosum. The virus is extremely contagious, and direct contact with an infected person can lead to disease in toddlers.
- Contact with contaminated objects like towels or clothes can trigger toddler Molluscum Contagiosum.
- Children with a low immunity are more prone to suffer from such skin bumps or itchy rashes. (4)
Diagnosing Molluscum Contagiosum In Toddlers:
- Skin biopsy or a detailed diagnosis of your toddler’s skin can help the doctor diagnose the skin infection easily.
- As the skin bumps are easily visible, a dermatologist can diagnose the disease through a simple skin observation. (5)
[ Read: Hives In Toddlers ]
Treatment For Molluscum Contagiosum In Toddlers:
- Skin Therapies-Some effective skin therapies to cure the disease includes-cryotherapy, topical therapy and laser therapy.
- Topical medications- Tretinoin (Atralin, Retin-A, others), Adapalene (Differin) and Tazarotene (Avage, Tazorac).
- Cimetidine (Tagamet), the antiulcer and anti-heartburn medication. (6)
[ Read: Measles In Toddlers ]
Preventing Molluscum Contagiosum In Toddlers:
- Instruct your toddlers to wash their hands properly using antiseptic soaps.
- Ask them not to use or touch others’ used items such as towels, clothing’s or hair brushes.
- Avoid touching or scratching of the skin bumps.
- Keep the skin bumps covered and avoid others from touching the affected skin region.
- Avoid direct skin to skin contact with an infected person.
- If your toddler is suffering from eczema, ask her to take medications regularly.
- If your toddler goes swimming pools, cover the skin bumps with water-proof bandages to prevent spreading the infection to other children. (7)
Did your toddler suffer from Molluscum Contagiosum? What were the visible symptoms of the disease? What precautions did you take? Share your experiences with us. Your story could help other mommies learn more about Molluscum Contagiosum in toddlers.
- 11 Serious Symptoms Of Chicken Pox In Toddlers You Should Be Aware Of
- 7 Causes & 8 Effective Home Remedies For Fever In Toddlers
- 14 Common Symptoms Of Meningitis In Toddlers
- 11 Serious Signs And Symptoms Of Bronchitis In Toddlers
Latest posts by RIA SAHA (see all)
- 13 Practical Ways To Respect Your Husband - July 11, 2017
- What Women Want In A Relationship: 30+ Things You Should know - July 10, 2017
- Diet Plans For Overweight Pregnant Women - Everything You Need To Know - June 30, 2017