Do you often experience a burning sensation in the stomach during pregnancy? Does the sensation lead to side effects like nausea or vomiting? If you nodded along solemnly, you might want to visit your doctor. You might be suffering from Peptic Ulcer Disease. To learn more about peptic or stomach ulcer during pregnancy, scroll down and read the post below.
What Is A Stomach Ulcer?
A stomach ulcer occurs when the mucus lining of the intestine or stomach erodes. The erosion affects acids of the stomach, and damages the stomach walls. Apart from Stomach Ulcer, there are certain other disorders related to the digestive system that are common during pregnancy.
The most common gastrointestinal diseases during pregnancy are as follows:
- Vomiting and Nausea
- Gastroesophageal Reflux
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Nausea and vomiting are common symptoms of pregnancy. Also, symptomatic gastroesophageal reflux disease is a common disease in women who are expecting. However, stomach ulcer disease occurs less frequently in pregnant ladies and has fewer complications.
Causes Of Stomach Ulcer During Pregnancy:
There is no determinable cause of the stomach ulcer. An ulcer occurs due to an imbalance between digestive juices in the stomach and duodenum. Also, ulcers occur due to a bacterial infection called Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori).
Symptoms Of Stomach Ulcer During Pregnancy:
Here are some of the symptoms of a stomach ulcer in pregnancy:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Severe pain in the middle or upper part of abdomen.
- Dark or black coloured stools due to bleeding.
- Weight loss
[ Read: Crohn’s Disease During Pregnancy ]
Diagnosing Stomach Ulcer During Pregnancy:
Esophagogastroduodenoscopy isn’t just a big word. It is the term for the diagnosis of Stomach Ulcer Disease during pregnancy. However, the method is only used when the symptoms are severe. Also, when there are PUD-associated complications viz. Haemorrhages or Gastric outlet obstruction, this diagnosis works best.
Treating Stomach Ulcers During Pregnancy:
If you are suffering from Peptic Ulcer Disease (PUD) during pregnancy, then your doctor will suggest some treatment options listed here:
- Antacids are commonly used for the treatment of PUD as they are considered safe during pregnancy.
- However, antacids containing bicarbonate are not prescribed by the doctors. The reason for this is that they are harmful to both mother and foetus as they can precipitate metabolic alkalosis in both.
- Rather, your doctor will prescribe you antacids containing Magnesium, Calcium or Aluminium that too in normal doses, required for a therapy.
- Magnesium or Calcium-containing antacids do not cause any congenital anomalies in the newborn babies.
Preventing Stomach Ulcer During Pregnancy:
1. Avoid Certain Foods:
If you are suffering from Peptic Ulcer Disease while pregnant, then you should avoid food that aggravates the disorder. Here are some food items that you should avoid if you have PUD or if it is suspected:
- Fatty foods
- Citrus juice
[ Read: Effects Of Caffeine During Pregnancy ]
If you are pregnant and suffering from Peptic Ulcer Disease, then avoid non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAIDS, as they are harmful to you as well as your growing baby.
3. Avoid Alcohol:
Consuming alcohol is harmful for your growing baby. However, if you have a PUD, then it is all the more necessary that you avoid alcohol consumption as it will further deteriorate your digestive system.
3. Quit Smoking:
Smoking is harmful to your lungs as well as for your developing fetus if you are pregnant. Also, if you are suffering from Peptic ulcer disease during pregnancy, then quit smoking or else it might lead to nasty complications and affect your unborn baby.
Did you also suffer from Stomach or peptic ulcer during pregnancy? What treatment did your doctor suggest? Share your story with other mommies-to-be. Drop a comment below.
- HCTZ (Hydrochlorothiazide) During Pregnancy – Uses, Dosage & Side Effects
- Celiac Disease During Pregnancy – Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatments
- Brown Discharge During Pregnancy – Everything You Need To Know!
- Ovarian Cancer During Pregnancy – Everything You Need To Know
- Down Syndrome During Pregnancy – 3 Causes, 10 Symptoms & 12 Treatments
Latest posts by Hansika Kaushik (see all)
- 20 Signs And Symptoms Of Hypothyroidism In Children - December 24, 2015
- Infertility In Men - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments - December 3, 2015
- Sperm Or Semen Allergy: Why Is It Caused And How To Treat It - December 3, 2015