When you are pregnant, you need to think twice before doing things that you did regularly otherwise. Beauty treatments are one of them.
There are several salon services which you must avoid during pregnancy; but when it comes to manicures, they are considered safe enough. Here is a little guide for you to know what precautions you must take when you go for a manicure session.
[ Read: Facial During Pregnancy ]
Making Manicure During Pregnancy Safe:
Is manicure safe during pregnancy? There is no evidence that says that manicures can harm you or your baby when you are pregnant. However, just to be on the safer side, you must take these precautions when going for a professional manicure:
- Always opt for reputed places for getting your beauty services during pregnancy, even if you have to ditch your neighborhood parlor. They will use reliable products and will be aware about the safety norms.
- Go to a salon that is well ventilated and airy. In a closed environment, the fumes from chemicals used in products might make you feel nauseous or dizzy. Insist on having natural ventilation and not just an air purifier system that recycles the air.
- Avoid the use of mechanized manicure tools that cause vibrations.
- Sit in a comfortable posture and make sure that you are not putting any pressure on your tummy.
- Ask about the chemicals that are being used. Chemicals like toluene and formaldehyde must be avoided as they can cause harm on coming in direct contact with your skin. Even acetone can make some pregnant women feel sick.
- Ensure that the equipment being used for manicure is either fresh or properly sterilized. Dirty tools can cause infections.
- Apart from being clean, the manicure tools must not be sharp to give you cuts. Any injury must be avoided during pregnancy. Ask the service provider to be gentle and slow while cutting, filing and buffing nails.
- Carry your own manicure set, cream and nail polish if you want to be absolutely stress free.
- Try to go in the early hours, when the salon will be comparatively less crowded. This way, you will avoid inhaling a plethora of products like bleach and hair color that are being used on other clients.
- If you are in the first trimester of pregnancy, then the chemicals can prove to be more harmful. Once you are through the initial months, getting manicures will be safer.
- Finally, avoid eating or drinking in the salon. You can never be sure of the quality of food or drinks being served, especially when they are complimentary.
As you have to be a bit selective and cautious when going for a manicure in pregnancy, you may have to spend more for a secure and quality service, but it will be worthwhile.
[ Read: Beauty Tips During Pregnancy ]
Manicure At Home:
Many a times, you may not be able to access a salon with convenience during pregnancy. Finding a good place may also be tough. A pregnancy manicure at home will make sure that you feel pretty and clean:
- Use a good quality scrub or make one by mixing sugar, lemon and olive oil and rub it well.
- Dip your hands in warm water by placing a bowl on a comfortable height.
- Use your own manicure set to cut and file nails.
- Massage your hands or ask a friend or your partner to do it.
- Apply non-toxic nail paint.
- Though it will need making some preparations, a manicure at home will offer you relaxation and complete peace of mind.
[ Read: Hair Rebonding During Pregnancy ]
You have absolute right to feel beautiful and pamper yourself during pregnancy. Moreover, manicures are also important for hygiene and cleanliness.
So follow and share the precautionary tips while doing manicure during pregnancy and do not deprive yourself from having hands that you can show off.
- 6 Risks & 3 Precautions While Getting A Tattoo During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Color Your Hair During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Rebond Your Hair During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by needhi gandhi (see all)
- 10 Best John Deere Coloring Pages Your Toddler Will Love To Color - November 19, 2014
- 4 Stages of Intellectual Development In Children - November 5, 2014
- Top 25 Cowboy Coloring Pages For Your Little Ones - October 13, 2014