Table Of Contents:
- What Is Amber Teething Necklace?
- Are Amber Teething Necklaces Effective?
- Are There Any Teething Necklaces Safe For The Baby?
- Dangers Of Teething Necklaces
- Safe Teething Relief Alternatives
- Are Teething Necklaces Safe For Toddlers?
That tiny, single white tooth shining in your baby’s mouth! Adorable, isn’t it? Teething is an important milestone for your baby but it can be painful too. The little one wakes up in the middle of the night, crying and grumbling due to the pain from teeth eruption. You will want to do just about anything to relieve him of this pain.
So, ever heard about an amber teething necklace? It provides relief from teething pain through skin contact. Sounds like a convenient solution but want to make sure of its safety, and know if it really works that way?
What Is Amber Teething Necklace?Sponsored
Amber teething necklaces are made from amber, which is a fossilized resin from the bark of the trees that lived millions of years ago (1). The resin exudes from the tree bark eventually solidifying and fossilizing to become amber rocks. These amber r ocks are stringed into a necklace and then used as an ornament that can be gnawed by the baby whenever he feels irritation in the teeth.
Are Amber Teething Necklaces Effective?
Amber has popularly been part of several ancient medicine systems for its purported ability to heal and cause pain relief. Baltic amber, a type of amber, contains succinic acid, which is said to provide relief to the baby when it comes in contact with his skin.
It is also claimed that amber has the ability to influence the thyroid gland, thus boosting the baby’s immune system and regulating his drooling due to teething. These benefits are said to provide relief from teething pain.
However, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that amber can relieve pain caused by teething (2). These claims are not supported by medical experts and professional childcare specialists.
[ Read : Best Teething Toys For Your Baby ]
Are There Any Teething Necklaces Safe For The Baby?
There are no such teething necklaces for babies. The American Academy of Pediatrics does not recommend the use of any jewelry, including teething necklaces, for babies since it can pose a choking hazard (3). Babies may break the beads of an amber teething necklace or silicone teething necklace and swallow them. It is safe to stay away from these necklaces to prevent accidents.
Dangers Of Teething Necklaces
If you are using teething necklaces, you are putting your baby at a risk. We have listed a few dangerous situations here:
1. Suffocation through strangulation:
Suffocation is the leading cause of accidental death among infants below the age of one year. Teething necklaces amplify this danger. A teething necklace can be suffocating or get stuck to an object and tug tightly to the neck. In fact, necklaces are widely linked to sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) (4).
Therefore, necklaces are unsafe and making your baby wear a baltic amber teething necklace or any other necklace is like waiting for an accident to happen.
2. Restricted blood circulation:
The necklace tends to wrap around the arms of the baby while he is sleeping. If it does so tightly, then it may temporarily reduce the blood supply to the limb thus causing discomfort. While it may not be as fatal as the previous case, it can still be dangerous.
Use of necklace for teething babies may be a myth, but his teething pain is real and you need to find a solution for it.
[ Read : How To Take Care Of Baby’s Teeth ]
Safe Teething Relief Alternatives
There are several safe ways you can relieve your baby’s teething pain. Here are a few:
- Mother worn teething necklaces: Still want to try an amber necklace? Then buy a teething necklace for yourself and let your baby gnaw when he is in your arms. There are a variety of teething necklaces made of silicone or wood and in a variety of designs, so you look fashionable! You can also string little silicone or wooden balls to make your very own homemade baby teething necklace. Just make sure the string is strong and you clean the jewelry periodically.
These teething necklaces must be used only when you are holding the baby. Never leave the necklace with the baby or let him use it unsupervised.
- Soft chew toys: There are toys specially made for baby’s teething. The chewable toys come in various shapes and relax the sore gums of the baby.
- Cold damp cloth: Take a clean wash cloth and dip it in cold water. Twist one end of it to form a small knot and give it to your baby to bite. The coldness will numb the nerve endings in the gum providing pain relief while the chewing subdues the irritation. It is a safe, homely solution to your little one’s teething woes.
- Massage: A gentle massage of your baby’s gums can relieve him of pain and swelling. Wash your hands thoroughly and then gently run your finger across your baby’s gums without any pressure. Regular massage should keep teething distress at bay.
- Medication: If the pain from teething is tremendous, then you can consult your pediatrician, who will prescribe some pain relief medication. Never self-medicate your baby.
The emergence of new teeth extends to the toddler years, and many parents may consider using a teething necklace at that time.
[ Read : Causes Of Teeth Discoloration In Babies ]
Are Teething Necklaces Safe For Toddlers?
Toddlers may seem old enough to gnaw at a teething necklace safely, but medical experts recommend that you do not use any jewellery until your little one is old enough to handle them independently (5). For this, and due to unverified claims of amber benefits, amber teething necklaces are never a great idea for teething babies and toddlers.
Remember, for chronic teething pain relief you can use chewy toys but never a teething necklace. Teething necklaces worn by mothers can be a portable solution but do not leave the baby unattended. Some caution and care during your baby’s teething days will help him sail through the phase.
Have an experience to share about teething and teething necklace? Do tell us by leaving a comment below.
- Baby Teeth – A Guide To Its Order And Appearance
- How To Brush Your Baby’s Teeth?
- Effective Ways To Treat Gum Pain In Babies
- How To Prevent Baby Bottle Tooth Decay
Latest posts by Rohit Garoo (see all)
- 91 Best Baby Quotes You Can Dedicate To Your Little One - February 12, 2018
- When Can Babies Have Chocolate And Does It Cause Any Problems? - February 12, 2018
- These 5 Essential Nutrients Decide Your Child’s Immunity Strength - April 21, 2017