Not too long ago, parents would have to coax children into drinking their glass of milk. There weren’t any other substitutes for lactose intolerant and milk allergy-ridden kids. But, thankfully technology helped and today we have many probiotics that can offer healthier alternatives to milk.
Research says that children between the age of 2 to 12 require additional sources of minerals and vitamins for their mental and physical development. And, kids are also at a high risk of contracting infections and illnesses. So, including probiotics in your child’s diet can help boost his immune system and speed up the growth process and keep him safe.
But, which probiotics are best for your little angel? What criteria should you remember before selecting one for your kid? Here, we answer these questions and list some crucial information on probiotics for kids.
Probiotics For Kids:
As a responsible parent, you will be concerned about your child’s health. You would want your child to eat nutritious foods that can enhance his growth. Reputed food manufacturers have started to take note of the rising demand of healthy eating, and they have introduced probiotics for children. You can notice that the market is flooded with enormous options of probiotics, but it is better to choose the one that contains natural ingredients.
Probiotics are, in fact, live bacteria that improve the digestive capability of a child’s body. The probiotics are quite similar to the natural bacteria present in the human body’s stomachs and intestinal tracts. In scientific terms, they are referred as “friendly bacteria” or “good bacteria.” Probiotics help treat gastrointestinal disorders, development delays, cold and flu symptoms and urinary tract infections (1).
[ Read: Nutrition For Kids ]
Can Kids Take Probiotics?
Including probiotics in a kid’s diet is effective against infectious germs. In the market, you can find a wide array of probiotics foods. Some of them contain natural probiotics while other foods are fortified with probiotics. Here is how they are beneficial:
- For children, it is recommended to focus on the food groups that contain the natural probiotics such as buttermilk, probiotics yogurt, milk kefir, or fermented cabbage. As processed foods include unhealthy ingredients such as cane sugar they can make a kid obese.
- Probiotics prove to be beneficial for your kid’s digestive system, as his intestinal tract contains fewer amounts of good bacteria. Until the age of eight years, your child carries fewer intestinal bacteria. Between eight and 12 years, the intestinal tract slowly matures and gets populated with more strains of bacterial cultures. When your child intakes probiotics, his digestive system functions popularly, and he remains safe from diarrhea and other intestinal infections.
- When your child undergoes antibiotic treatment, it is important to keep a close watch on the timings of probiotics and antibiotics. As the antibiotics kill the bacteria, his colon ecology suffers from a scarcity of bacteria required for digestion. Hence, your child needs to take both probiotics and antibiotics at different times of the day. It allows the probiotics to resist in the colon before the antibiotic comes and destroys it.
Benefits Of Probiotics For Kids:
Here are certain positive aspects of probiotics:
1. Digestive Health:
- One of the primary roles of probiotics is promoting digestion. Several children suffer from digestive disorders like constipation or diarrhea. But with the intake of the live cultures, their digestion capability improves.
- The healthy bacteria of probiotics regulate and clean your kid’s intestines and stomach lining.
- Researchers conclude that regular intake of probiotics can help your kid deal with a variety of gastrointestinal problems much better than by consuming active medications.
2. Reduction Of Gas:
- When your child suffers from lactose intolerance, his condition improves after consuming probiotics.
- Your baby can safely consume other milk-based products like cheese, ice cream, and yogurt as he can easily digest the complex molecules.
3. Boosts Immunity:
- Probiotics strengthen your child’s immunity so that he is protected from infectious germs and diseases.
- Small kids are highly susceptible to contagious germs, and they easily experience the symptoms of sneezing, coughing, and runny noses. But with consumption of probiotics, his body can easily ward off the infectious microbes.
[ Read: Healthy Drinks For Kids ]
4. Treats Diarrhea:
- Some specific probiotics can treat diarrhea and gastroenteritis.
- Researchers conclude that probiotics keeps your child protected from severe gastrointestinal disorders like antibiotic diarrhea, infectious diarrhea, and traveler’s diarrhea.
- Lactobacillus is the safest live culture, which treats infectious diarrhea in small children.
- Saccharomyces boulardii is very effective in treating acute diarrhea in kids.
5. Improves Brain Functioning:
- Probiotics help in healthy brain functioning of your kid. Researchers conclude that kids who consumed Probiotics-containing yogurt on a regular basis are more intelligent than their peers.
- Probiotics treat depression, anxiety, and other brain disorder in children.
6. Improves Skin Health:
- Skin woes like rosacea, eczema, and psoriasis can hamper the life of our little angel. But with right strains of Probiotics in her body, she can easily recover from such skin ailments.
- The typical variation of probiotics (Lactic acid bacteria) minimizes the risk of infantile eczema in kids.
- Probiotics supplements help in treating the symptoms of atopic dermatitis in children.
- Probiotics significantly protect your kid from eczema and atopic eczema (2).
10 Best Probiotics For Kids:
Probiotics help protect against digestive problems and boost resistance towards infectious germs. When you give probiotics to your infant aged below three months, he suffers less acid reflux, constipation, and colic, later in his life. But it is important for you to check the label of the product properly because probiotics are terribly age-specific.
Here we present a list of 10 best probiotics for children that are safe for your little ones:
1. Nature’s Plus AcidophiKidz Children’s Chewable in Berry Flavor:
- Nature’s Plus AcidophiKidz protects your kid from gastrointestinal disorders because it contains adequate proportion of intestinal floral.
- Your little one would simply love the tangy berry flavor, and it’s gluten-free.
- It contains pure fructooligosaccharides (FOS) that fosters the growth of friendly intestinal floral in your kid’s intestines.
- The key ingredients of the probiotics are B. coagulans, Rhododendron caucasicum, and fructooligosaccharides
- Estimated Cost- $17 for 90 supplements
2. Rainbow Light:
- The gluten-free, shelf-stable, and dairy-free Probiolicious Gummies helps in improving your child’s digestive functioning.
- You should not worry about food allergy at all because the Allergen Safeguard ensures that the product does not contain fish, egg, milk, nuts, shellfish, gluten, or soy.
- The multi-function probiotic for children also contains Prebiotics from inulin and FOS, and it can help in improving your kid’s digestive health.
- The key ingredients of the probiotics are Lactobacillus Sporogenes and CFU Bio-Active Probiotic Defense.
- Estimated Cost-$11 for 50 supplements
[ Read: Best Protein Powder For Kids ]
3. Culturelle Kids:
- The clinically proven product helps your kid stay away from digestive problems like diarrhea, gas, and bloating.
- Culturelle Kids Probiotic comes in chewable tablet form, and it helps in balancing the good and bad bacteria present in your child’s digestive system.
- With regular intake of the probiotics supplement, your child can attain healthy digestive and immune system.
- The key ingredients are naturally produced Lactobacillus GG.
- Estimated Cost: $19 per 30-count box
4. Delpro Probiotics:
- It is one of the advanced probiotic formula that contains Del-Immune V plus to improve your kid’s intestinal health.
- Delpro’s effective probiotic supplements keep your kid’s digestive tract in optimum balance.
- Researchers conclude that Delpro capsules help autistic children suffering from Irritable bowel syndrome.
- The key ingredient of the product Del-Immune V powder helps in boosting your child’s immune system functioning and protects her from gastrointestinal problems.
- Other than the immune booster some of the other active ingredients of the product are Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacerium longum, Lactobacillus delbrueckii, and Bifidobacterium bifidum
- Estimated Cost- Delpro 150 Capsule- $57.50 per bottle
- Delpro 60 Capsules- $29.50 per bottle
5. Garden of Life RAW Probiotics:
- As the supplements contain the organic, raw, and whole food probiotics, you will feel safe to give this product to your child.
- RAW probiotics contains approximately 5 billion live probiotic cells per daily serving.
- The high proportion of healthy bacteria aids in better probiotic growth in your child’s intestines and improves her digestive health and immune system.
- The product is recommended for children above three years, and the product is gluten free.
- The key ingredients of the product are RAW inulin, organic fruits, and vegetables.
- Estimated Cost-$19 – 3.4 oz (96 grams)
6. ReNewLife Ultimate Flora:
- The tangy berry flavor of the supplement can make your kid feel happy to intake the product.
- The healthy live cultures of the probiotic tablet gently balance the bacterial balance of your kid; intestines and boosts her immune system.
- Ultimate Flora probiotic also protects your child’s teeth from unwanted tooth decay, as it contains the natural sweetener Xylitol.
- The key ingredients of the product are Lactobacilli and Bifidobacteria.
- Estimated Cost-$13 – 30-count bottle
7. NOW Foods BerryDophilus:
- The probiotic comes in chewable form, and it helps in strengthening your kid’s gastrointestinal and immune system.
- Your kid can safely intake the chewable as they contain natural sweeteners Xylitol and cause no harm to your child’s teeth.
- The key ingredients of the product are Lactobacillus salivarius, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium lactis, and Lactobacillus plantarum.
- Estimated Cost- $7 per 60 count bottle
- $14 per 115 count bottle
8. Digestive Advantage Gummies:
- It is important for your kid to intake probiotics on a regular basis, as it improves her digestive health and protects from severe ailments.
- Your kid will live the tangy flavor of the probiotics gummies, and they can easily attain the bacterial balance in their intestines.
- You can give this product to your kid, whose age lies above three years. As children below three years can find difficulty in chewing the gummies.
- Estimated Cost-$20 per 80-count bottle
9. Pedia-Lax Probiotic Yums:
- To enhance the functioning of your kid’s digestive system, you need to include ample quantity of probiotics in her daily food.
- Pedia-Lax Probioic Yum comprises a high percentage of live cultures that improves the digestion capability of your kid. Moreover, your little one would love the delicious strawberry flavor.
- The key ingredient of the product is Lactobacillus reuteri
- Estimated Cost-$12 per 30-count bottle
10. Biocodex Florastor:
- It is a clinically approved product, recommended for small children. The healthy live cultures of the probiotics improve your kid’s digestive systems and balance her internal flora.
- The product is available in a powdery form, and your kid would surely love the tutti-fruiti-flavored powder.
- The key ingredient of the product is Saccharomyces boulardii lyo.
- Estimated Cost-$17 per 20-count box of packets
Probiotic Supplements For Kids:
Even though probiotics supplements have become a popular immunity booster for kids, but many parents still hesitate to give kids these supplements to their little one. However, you should remember that probiotics supplements contain healthy live cultures that keep your kid healthy and protected from infectious germs.
Clinical studies reveal that a regular intake of probiotics supplements can protect your kid from allergies, gastrointestinal ills, cold-flu symptoms, and urinary infections. Furthermore, the particular probiotic Lactobacillus GG treats the condition of acute diarrhea in infants and children. Kids suffering from Crohn’s disease and IBS can also intake probiotics. As the supplement contain natural components, they are quite safe for your kid.
Here are the benefits of giving probiotic supplements to your kid:
- Boosts your kid’s immune system functioning and she can easily resist against infectious diseases.
- Helps in replenishing the good bacteria.
- Promotes and protect your kid’s healthy digestive tract
Probiotic Foods For Kids:
Probiotics are the healthy form of intestinal bacteria that aid in the secretion of the natural digestive juices and enzymes. The effective production of the digestive juices aids in the smooth functioning of your kid’s gastrointestinal system. Apart from giving probiotics supplements you can also include these probiotics foods in your child’s diet:
- It is one of the best probiotic foods that contain a high proportion of live cultures. It is better for your kid to eat the homemade yogurt.
- You can also opt to buy yogurt made from goat’s milk as they comprise of an extra percentage of probiotics like lactobacillus or acidophilus.
- Dairy products like cheese and goat’s milk contain a high percentage of healthy live cultures like bulgaricus, thermophillus, bi fud us, and acidophilus. But it is advisable to read the ingredients list, before choosing the product.
- Some of the companies do use artificial sweeteners, flavors, and high fructose corn syrup to elevate the taste of the yogurt. But try to avoid these products for your kids, as they can make her obese.
[ Read: Yogurt Recipes For Kids ]
- Quite similar to yogurt, this specific dairy product has a perfect blend of fermented kefir grains and goat’s milk.
- It contains a high percentage of healthy live cultures like lactobacilli and bifidus. The product is also rich in antioxidants, and can be safely consumed by your growing kid.
- The product made from fermented cabbage serves as a rich source of healthy live cultures.
- Other than the healthy bacteria, it contains a high perntage of vitamins B, A, E and C. All these healthy ingredients can keep your kid healthy and disease-free.
4. Miso Soup:
- It is an authentic Japanse dish that serves as a digestive regulator.
- The soup comprises of fermented beansm rye, rice or barley. After adding a tablespoon of miso to hot brewing water, you can make this super-healthy soup for your kid.
- The probiotic-rich soup is also an excellent source of lactobacilli and bifidus bacteria.
- Besides the high percentage of healthy live cultures, miso is a dense food element that protects your kid’s body from environmental pollution like smokes and carcinogens.
- Green pickle serves as an excellent source of probiotics.
- You can make homemade pickle using raw mango or chilies and make your growing kid intake small amount of the fermented pickle every day along with her food.
- It is a great substiture for tofu or meat. People use soybeans to manufacture the fermented, probiotic-rich grain called tempeh.
- It serves as a rich source of vitamin B12.
- You can include Tempeh in your kid’s diet in various form like baked, sautéed or mixed for a salad.
- It is the Asian form of the pickled sauerkraut. Korean people love to consume the fermented and extra spicy cabbage alongside their meals.
- Apart from containing the healthy bacteria. Kimchi serves as an excellent source of calcium, beta-carotene, iron, and vitamins A, C, B1, and B2.
[ Read: Is Ensure Safe For Kids ]
How To Give Probiotics To Kids?
You can introduce fermented foods and drinks in your child’s diet menu and try to give them in smaller amounts in the initial days.
- Russians usually add probiotics to their infants by feeding them milk kefir diluted with water at a tender age of four months.
- You can include fermented fruit or vegetable juice in your kid’s diet so that she gets accustomed to the tangy flavor. For infants, you can take a drop of the juice on your finger and let your baby suck it. Cultured vegetables contain the friendly bacteria strain Lactobacillus Plantarum, which cures colic and other development issues.
- When your newborn baby becomes a few days old, you can feed him a few cultured vegetable juices on a regular basis. When you give cultured vegetable juice to your breastfeeding baby just 15-20 minutes before his nursing, it can help her digest the breast milk easily.
- To kids above six months old, the mother can also think of giving young coconut kefir diluted with plain filtered water. One your baby gets older; you can include fermented vegetable, yogurt, and pickles in her daily diet.
Culturelle Kids Probiotic:
The key ingredient of the CulturelleProbiotic Formula for kids is clinically proven, and it can protect your little one from occasional digestive disorders. Persistent episodes of diarrhea can be treated with the regular intake of the probiotic supplement. Additionally, it also helps to restore the perfect balance of good and bad bacteria in your child’s intestines. Regular intake of Culturelle Kids Probiotic Formula helps in improving your kid’ digestive functioning and boosts her immune system.
Some of the positive attributes of Culturelle probiotic with Probiotic Formula are:
- It contains naturally sourced Probiotic Formula clinically formulated to protect your kids.
- The healthy probiotic supplement aids in restoring the balance of good bacteria in your kid’s intestinal and digestive tract.
- The product boosts the immune functioning of your kid and protects her from infectious diseases.
- Regular intake of Culturelle probiotics minimize the occurrence of occasional digestive disorders including constipation, diarrhea or general discomfort.
- It is one the topmost Pediatrician Recommended brand of probiotics.
- It does not contain artificial flavors, gluten, soy, dairy product, yeast, preservatives or synthetic colors.
- Your kids would love the tangy berry flavor of the Culturelle Kids Probiotic.
A Word Of Caution:
- Although probiotics are safe for your kid, it is important to check the ingredients list of the product.
- If your child suffers from lactose intolerance, it is best to buy a product that does not contain milk or other substitutes.
- Always opt for a probiotic supplement, which has all the ingredients clearly labeled on its container cover or tablet strips.
- Before including any probiotic supplement in your kid’s diet, consult your pediatrician about the dosage and effectiveness.
- To buy probiotics for your small baby, always note that the product does not contain more than three billion bacteria, as it can upset his stomach.
- Try to buy products that contain naturally sourced bacteria, as they are healthier for your little ones.
- Opt to buy the kid-flavored chewable products, as your little one may love the tangy flavor of the product and never hesitate to intake it regularly.
Did you give probiotic supplements to your growing child? Did it help her overcome digestive problems? Share your views regarding probiotic for kids with other mommies here!
- 10 Best Nutritious Foods For Kids
- Smoothies For Kids – Health Benefits And Recipes
- Protein Shakes For Kids: Their Need, Safety Concerns And Recipes
- 21 Healthy Drinks For Kids Besides Water
Latest posts by RIA SAHA (see all)
- How to Show respect to your husband: 13 fundamental things you should try - August 24, 2017
- 13 Practical Ways To Respect Your Husband - July 11, 2017
- What Women Want In A Relationship: 30+ Things You Should know - July 10, 2017