Is your teen involved in a lot of physical activities? Are you planning to get him a protein shake to help him maintain his energy levels? Well, if you are clueless about the importance of protein shakes for growing teenagers reading this post is a good idea.
Protein shakes are a rage amongst hardcore sports enthusiasts as well as growing teens. But should you let your teen have protein shakes or is it better to give them a miss? Read on to know all about protein shakes for teens and whether it is good or bad for their health.
What Is A Protein Shake?
A balanced diet should provide your teen with the adequate dose of protein. For those who exercise more or indulge in strenuous physical activities, the protein requirement can be a little high. A protein shake can be an additional dietary supplement for such fitness fans.
A protein shake can be a hundred percent protein concentrate or a carbohydrate supplement that has little protein and fat. These are available as readymade drinks or as protein powders(1).
[ Read: Best Protein Powder For Teenagers ]
Are Protein Shakes For Teens Safe?
In most cases, your teen will get the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) of protein from his/her daily meals. Unless your teen is extremely active and takes part in a lot of physical activities, giving him/her a protein shake is not necessary(2).
[ Read: Is Whey Protein Safe For Teenagers ]
Things To Keep In Mind While Giving A Protein Shake To Your Teen:
You may still feel that a protein shake will work wonders for your teen’s health. In such a situation, make sure you remember that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not strictly regulate protein supplements. According to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, prohibited substances may be present in protein shakes. It may also contain harmful ingredients that are missing on the label(3).
[ Read: Healthy Protein Foods For Teenagers ]
How To Choose Protein Shake For Teenager:
Before you allow your teen to have a protein shake, it is important you have a word with his doctor. You can also discuss it with your teen’s coach to understand if your teen needs a protein supplement. Here are a few tips that can help choose a protein shake for teens:
- The first thing you need to understand is whether or not your teen needs that protein shake. In many cases, your teen may just want one as a result of peer pressure.
- A protein shake is not a substitute for a healthy diet. It is just a health supplement that your teen needs to consume in addition to having a balanced meal.
- Ask your doctor about the dosage of protein your sporty teen may need.
- An overdose of protein can lead to protein toxicity(4). It can cause unwanted weight gain and various other health complications. It can also result in dehydration, decalcification and kidney problems.
[ Read: Effects Of Energy Drinks On Teens ]
Popular Protein Shakes For Teenagers:
Here are the top five protein shakes that are in demand these days. Speak to your doctor before giving your teen any of these:
- Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein for INR 1,999
- Amway Nutrilite Protein Powder for INR 1,989
- Protinex High Protein Nutritional Supplement for INR 230
- Prostar 100% Whey Protein by Ultimate Nutrition for INR 3,200
- British Nutrition Power Protein for INR 1,644
Your teen will surely need a lot of nutrition during these very important growing up years. But, remember dietary supplements are secondary to healthy meals.
Did your teen have a protein supplement? What protein supplement did you give your teen? Do share your experience with us in the comments section.
- 7 Incredible Benefits Of Regular Exercises For Your Teens
- 6 Benefits Of Positive Parenting For Teenagers
- A Healthy Food Guide Pyramid For Kids And Teens
- 8 Wonderful Benefits Of Aerobic Exercises For Kids
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017