The first time mommies-to-be feel nervous and excited at the same time! With so many ‘well wishers’ doling out their advice on what you must eat and avoid, you must be confused. You need to keep in mind the eating guide amidst what appears to be a flurry of dos and don’ts.
If you are planning to have cucumbers, then you must think twice as these are known to cause allergic reactions. This widely cultivated vegetable in the world is generally considered unsafe for pregnancy. Thus, it is important that you discuss with your doctor if you can take it in moderation.
Health Benefits Of Cucumber During Pregnancy:
Now that you are pregnant, it is desirable that you gather detailed information about what you consume. This way, you can know if you are getting all the vital nutrients. Have a look:
- Cucumbers are low in calorie and do not contribute much to your weight gain. You can thus keep at bay obesity at this time.
- They are rich in water that helps preventing dehydration when you are pregnant.
- The peel of the cucumber is rich in fiber. This reduces chances of constipation and hemorrhoids that are common issues in pregnancy.
- They are rich in anti-oxidants like vitamin A, C, beta-carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin. These anti-oxidents boost your immune system and help fighting against infections.
- Vitamin K plays a vital role in adding to your bone strength.
- Cucumbers are rich in vitamin C, B1. B3, B2, folic acid, zinc, potassium, magnesium and iron that aids overall development of the fetus inside you.
- Cucumber has vitamin B, which is also known as feel-good vitamin that elevates your mood. Help your awesome baby grow better when you are in a good mood.
- You need to improve skin elasticity during pregnancy as your bump is expanding daily. Collagen in cucumbers reduces visibility of cellulite.
- Cucumbers are known to keep down your high sugar levels. Sodium and minerals in cucumbers help regulate your blood pressure.
[ Read: Watermelon During Pregnancy ]
Risks Of Eating Cucumber During Pregnancy:
Apart from the health benefits of cucumber in pregnancy, there are also some potential risk factors associated with its overeating. Here is what you should know:
- You may develop too much of intestinal gas and suffer from troubles like indigestion and belching in pregnancy.
- You may suffer from allergic reactions like swelling, itching, which are absolutely undesirable at this stage.
- You may experience frequent urination that can make you extremely uncomfortable at this time.
- You can enjoy the benefits and taste of cucumbers with consent from your doctor.
[ Read: Sweet Potato During Pregnancy ]
Preparing Your Cucumber:
This widely grown vegetable in enjoyed in different ways. You can add them to sushi, sandwiches and salads, or simply use them for garnishing. Preparation process for cucumbers is very easy, no matter how you take them. Let us have a look here:
- Wash and rinse the cucumber well to remove sediments and chemicals from the skin.
- You can make quarter inch slices or cut across the width of the vegetable.
- Add them to your snacks or salads.
- Sprinkle little salt and put it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. This is the best way to enjoy this watery vegetable.
[ Read: Tomato During Pregnancy ]
More important than how much you eat is what you eat in pregnancy.Proper selection of food is extremely essential as it has a direct relation with growth and development of your baby. One of the funniest things about pregnancy are the urges and cravings, do not deprive yourself of them. Follow the simple eating guide and be smart. This is the only way you can enjoy a healthy and a happy pregnancy.
Hope the above information might have helped you know whether is it safe to eat cucumber during pregnancy or not. Do share your views and let us know how you handle urges and food cravings during pregnancy by commenting below.
- Is It Safe To Eat Tofu During Pregnancy?
- 3 Nutritional Benefits Of Okra During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Eat Potato During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Mushroom During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Sweet Corn During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by moumita ghosh (see all)
- 8 Effective Tips To Relieve Finger Pain During Pregnancy - November 23, 2015
- Top 5 Camel Crafts For Preschoolers And Young Kids - November 23, 2015
- 4 Interesting Winter Craft Ideas For Your Toddler - January 21, 2015