Mushrooms are tasty, irresistible and palatable when cooked right. Most people love mushrooms in their salads, soups, pizzas and spicy preparations. Fresh picked mushrooms are even better which come loaded with nutrients. But, consumption of mushroom during pregnancy, is it considered safe? Yes, if you are pregnant and love mushrooms, there is absolutely no medical constraint that states that you cannot eat them. Mushrooms are a great option for your unborn baby, who thrives solely on your food intake for growth and development.
Mushrooms are fleshy and spore bearing fruit bodies of a fungus, grown on soil or the respective food source. Most of the concerns revolve around their origin and growth. Button mushrooms are the most popular variants used in cooking. Pregnant women can have mushrooms in their diet for their incredible nutrient value. Mushrooms are rich in vitamins, essential minerals, protein and trace metals.
Is It Safe To Eat Mushroom During Pregnancy?
Raw or cooked mushrooms. Does it really matter what type you consume? Probably the only type of mushrooms pregnant women should avoid are raw, magic and toxic mushrooms. All the rest types are good to consume that includes medicinal mushrooms as well.
Magic Mushrooms During Pregnancy Are Not Safe:
Magic mushrooms are actually a type of toxic mushrooms as they contain psilocybin, a chemical that alters the brain activity and affects your growing fetus. Also, the doctors suggest the pregnant women to stay away from these chemical containing mushrooms. They are not suggestible to consume while breastfeeding too.
You should be careful while selecting wild mushrooms since some may be confounded and you may pick the poisonous type. One such example is false Chanterelle, which is poisonous and looks similar to Chanterelle.
Raw Mushrooms During Pregnancy Are Not Safe:
Raw mushrooms are also a big no since they are carcinogenic. It is always advisable to eat cooked, dried mushrooms or their extracts and tinctures. It is not just for pregnant women, but for anyone.
A slight amount of carcinogens will be present in raw mushrooms and cooking or drying them will remove the toxins. Moreover, they will offer health benefits like boosting immunity, providing fiber, minerals and vitamins to the body system.
Medicinal Mushrooms During Pregnancy Are Safe:
Many naturopaths, mycological experts and research companies like Myko San did a fine research on medicinal mushrooms. They have put forward that medicinal mushrooms such as shiitake and maitake are similar to edible mushrooms like white button, crimini/portabella mushrooms, etc).
Medicinal mushrooms have high amounts of beta glucan that is a polysaccharide sugar and fiber. They boost the immune system and also delivers high benefits. They are anti-cancer, anti-tumor, anti-fungal, antioxidant and anti-bacterial.
[ Read: Sprouts During Pregnancy ]
Benefits Of Eating Mushrooms During Pregnancy:
Mushrooms hold a great food value for your growing baby. Be sure to derive the most of vital components by incorporating mushrooms in your daily diet.
Below are some of the most important benefits of eating mushrooms during pregnancy:
1. Vitamin B Nutrients:
Mushrooms have a great amount of B vitamins. They help to use the energy from the food you intake and promote healthy skin, digestion and nerve formation. .
- The vitamin B components include thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), Niacin (B3) and Pantothenic Acid (B5).
- One cup of portabella mushrooms holds exactly about 8 percent of daily necessary amounts of riboflavin, which is ideal for pregnant women.
- Thiamine, niacin and pantothenic help form healthy body mass for your baby inside the womb, and also strengthen the central nervous system.
2. Vitamin D Nutrients:
The abundance of vitamin D in mushrooms makes it all the more important to consume them during pregnancy.
- Vitamin D regulates great absorption of calcium into the body to form strong bone and teeth in your growing baby.
- One cup of shiitake mushrooms contains about 12.6 units of vitamin D.
- Mushrooms are a great source of the vitamin D, which is very rare in all the food groups consumed.
Protein content comes in good quantities in mushrooms. It is ideal for the overall development of your baby, contributing to the muscle mass.
Your body requires more hemoglobin as the volume of the blood increases during pregnancy. Iron is a major component in hemoglobin and mushrooms contain good amounts of iron. One cup of morel mushrooms is said to have 8 milligrams of iron. During pregnancy, you can take mushroon with no second thought at least for the iron content.
[ Read: Parsley During Pregnancy ]
5. Fiber And Antioxidants:
Mushrooms also equip you with good amounts of fiber and antioxidants. They will help you in keeping your body super regulated throughout the three trimesters.
- Antioxidants like selenium and ergothionein help to protect your body from free radical damage and boost the immune system.
- Fiber helps prevent irritable conditions like constipation and fatigue, keeping you active and ready for easy delivery.
It is important to make a note of the kind of mushrooms that you buy. Make sure that you buy fresh mushrooms that are available in the departmental stores and vegetable markets. Check for the freshness, condition and the expiry date in case of frozen and packaged mushrooms. Always make sure you consume fresh mushrooms during pregnancy that are well washed, cleaned and cooked.
Hope this article cleared all your doubts regarding eating mushroom during pregnancy. Share your views by commenting below.
- Is It Safe To Eat Tofu During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Peanuts During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Sweet Corn During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Potato During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Deepa Balasubramanian (see all)
- 6 Useful Tips To Store Formula Milk For Your Baby - June 30, 2017
- Cervical Mucus And Ovulation - Everything You Need To Know - January 9, 2015
- Can You Ovulate More Than Once Per Month Or Cycle? - December 31, 2014